• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Toku

Major Contributor
I am interested in the M400 DAC paired with SP200 THX.
Is it a model that omits HPA from M500?
I don't like the slanted case design, but when I put the SP200 and M400 together, it doesn't feel strange.

Attachments

• M400-1.jpg
    M400-1.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 304
  • M400-2.jpg
    M400-2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 281

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A subjective review from 'SoundNews' says the M500 is not linear sounding and that it has emphasis on Bass and Treble and that the Mids take a hit coz of that. He also said the DX7Pro was more linear than the M500.

Please @amirm if you can share a graph to confirm or deny that for M500 and if possible the DX7 Pro...it would be most appreciated...unless i am missing a stat within the review that already shows this...Thanks

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A subjective review from 'SoundNews' says the M500 is not linear sounding and that it has emphasis on Bass and Treble and that the Mids take a hit coz of that. He also said the DX7Pro was more linear than the M500.

Please @amirm if you can share a graph to confirm or deny that for M500 and if possible the DX7 Pro...it would be most appreciated...unless i am missing a stat within the review that already shows this...Thanks
:facepalm:

@Shoaibexpert, are you kind of stubborn?... We already told you that this kind of subjective BS has no value without facts to back it up.

Soundnews didn't compare both unit blind nor level matched (note the M500 has higher output). I could also come, write my own review and say the exact opposite (M500 being more linear blablabla and whatever I want about it) and some people will trust me for some reason...:facepalm:

The graph you're asking is for Frequency Response. Considering the others measurements, both will be dead flat. Check the filter graph, I don't see any emphasis on treble and there is no way it has an emphasis on bass either.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor

There is no such "emphasis". It's total bull.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
A subjective review from 'SoundNews' says ...

That should tell you what you need to know right there. These reviews can be useful or interesting in the sense of utility, ergonomics, etc... When people make uncontrolled subjective claims, it is safe to ignore that. People don't hear nearly as well as they think they do.

To me it sounds great. So, now...who do you believe?

Understanding this stuff a little more will help you know you can laugh at (parts of some of) those reviews...not worry about them.

Jaysz

Was the latest update just a driver update or firmware as dac shows firmware not changed.

Have the filters been sorted now.

Shoaibexpert

:facepalm:

@Shoaibexpert, are you kind of stubborn?... We already told you that this kind of subjective BS has no value without facts to back it up.

Soundnews didn't compare both unit blind nor level matched (note the M500 has higher output). I could also come, write my own review and say the exact opposite (M500 being more linear blablabla and whatever I want about it) and some people will trust me for some reason...:facepalm:

The graph you're asking is for Frequency Response. Considering the others measurements, both will be dead flat. Check the filter graph, I don't see any emphasis on treble and there is no way it has an emphasis on bass either.
I should be offended but I'm not...I'll just decide to act mature here....there are no rules at what can and cannot be asked on ASR...you do know you have a choice to ignore a post you don't like and proceed?

+1 to other people's responses downplaying the marketing BS and subjectivists...I just wanted to be pointed towards the stat which showed linearity against frequency responses for my interest and for this DAC....saw one for the Pro Ject S2 so thought to ask.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should be offended but I'm not...I'll just decide to act mature here....there are no rules at what can and cannot be asked on ASR...you do know you have a choice to ignore a post you don't like and proceed?
I don't see where you should be offended... Nonetheless, glad you're not.

Sure. This is not the issue I'm talking about. Anyone may ask anything here. What bothers me, however, is that you're keep mentioning subjective reviews over and over while everyone already answered you can't trust them... For obvious reasons.
I just wanted to be pointed towards the stat which showed linearity against frequency responses for my interest and for this DAC
Look closer at Amir reviews to see what linearity is.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Thanks for the very thorough review.

What do you guys think about using this unit as a dac/preamp in main listening room? Inputs would be spdif and amplifier has 23dB gain. Speakers are about 89dB/W.

Does this units handle spdif jitter as well or better than ASRC designs, or is it actually an ASRC design?

Thanks for any help.

Veri

Master Contributor
Does this units handle spdif jitter as well or better than ASRC designs, or is it actually an ASRC design?

Jitter is at -150/-160dB so it is absolutely no problem at all (-120dB is already hearing threshold). Most of SMSL gear uses an Altera FPGA for reclocking, it seems to work very well :) I wouldn't worry!

skipost-it

A question about M500, can confirm if he has Bluetooth wireless output?
I need to use wireless headphones with the DAC, is it possible like Node 2i?

Toku

Major Contributor
A question about M500, can confirm if he has Bluetooth wireless output?
I need to use wireless headphones with the DAC, is it possible like Node 2i?
There is no Bluetooth function. So it is impossible.

Attachments

• M500 Spec.png
    M500 Spec.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 159

Shoaibexpert

I don't see where you should be offended... Nonetheless, glad you're not.

Sure. This is not the issue I'm talking about. Anyone may ask anything here. What bothers me, however, is that you're keep mentioning subjective reviews over and over while everyone already answered you can't trust them... For obvious reasons.

Look closer at Amir reviews to see what linearity is.
Thanks for pointing towards that graph...I'm not a technical person so don't mind me asking but the graph has Generator Level (Dbfs) on X axis...is it the same as Frequency response? Coz linearity against frequency responses should have FR as X Axis?

As for discarding subjective reviews....I enjoy listening to them and kinda wanna see the link as to what they hear and what the stats suggest...if both speak the same language...gives that extra but if assurance to users...perhaps overlooked by perfectionists anyways...

Top Bottom