• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

maxxevv

Major Contributor
How does that work? Do you buy from Ali Express with a discount code you got from the Shenzen Audio Store or will that store be matching the Ali Express price on 11/11?

Also, does SMSL's own store HiFi Express have sales on 11/11?

Edit: I've looked on the Shenzen Audio Store and can't even see where you enter a coupon code.

The Aliexpress listing.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000092068836.html

You need to look out for the "Select Coupon". Its easier to find it using the Aliexpress App.
They have certain time slots which they release free coupons. Most of the activity is on the phone App.

m500.jpg

Toku

Major Contributor
When you open the AliExpress top page, a window to get a $10 coupon that can be used in 11.11 will open. Select and add to cart.
You can also get $2 by clicking the coupon center. Get this and add it to your cart..

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor
Indeed, you are quite right :).

I appreciate very much that Amir made this measurement and found out about that huge spike artifact caused by MQA! :)

If people could enlighten me, there one 2 things I don't quite understand as they don't seem to be really consistent to me o_O.

First, re. such huge ultrasonic artifacts:
- On one hand, during the fantastic TotalDAC discussion on ASR this summer ( the whole thing was so incredible that I read the 100 pages twice!, and that really motivated me to join ASR :cool:), such ultrasonic components were found out, a few subjectivists said that it didn't matter as they cannot be heard, yet what I perceived as the "dominant", "enlightened" view an ASR was that it was really bad :facepalm: because it could quite negatively affect the electronics of further devices (e.g. an amp for speakers) downstream or the behavior of transducers ( tweeter, headphones).
- On the other hand, when it is created by MQA it is OK because it cannot be heard :).

Second, re. apparently fraudulent marketing claims:
- When this is the case with a device such as Schiit, TotalDAC, PS Audio, it is really bad :facepalm: (and OK to speak of " scam ").
- With MQA it would be OK because part of the necessary marketing discourse for establishing a new standard :).

All the best,
and thank you so much for keeping up the excellent work with the measurements of more and more devices :):) and dispelling numerous anti-HiFi audiophiles myths and attitudes,
bidn

Please don't use a white background, can't see anything :)

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor
The problem is that it's been discussed and analyzed ad nauseam. Some defenders insist on hijacking threads every chance they get. Even to the point of being banned.

To be fair, I think software freedom and open standards touch a nerve in a lot of people --myself included.

It's not like talking about whether BMW or Mercedes is better, or whether apples are better than oranges

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor
I agree with taking the MQA hate somewhere else, I'm probably going to buy this DAC and there's a good chance it'll never see an MQA signal in its life. The M500 allows MQA but no one is forcing you to use it.

Yes, but whether you use it or not, you're paying merdidian for the technology

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

VeerK

Oh boy, these DAC choices are getting ridiculous, first the Sabaj, then the DX7Pro, now this? Strongly, strongly, strongly considering making this my next DAC on 11.11, then pairing it with the 887 and my Neurochrome 686. This might actually put my audio source and speakers quest to bed, and without going bankrupt. Thanks for the review, as always @amirm I hope you’ll check back in with your final pick of the M500 vs the DX7Pro.

Labjr

Major Contributor
To be fair, I think software freedom and open standards touch a nerve in a lot of people --myself included.

It's not like talking about whether BMW or Mercedes is better, or whether apples are better than oranges

I agree. To me, it's the principle of having open standards, regardless of sound quality. However, I think most people already have an opinion for or against. Reading the technical arguments repeated in every remotely related thread get's old.

bidn

Hey mate the color is quite illegible for me, not sure that is on purpose?

Sorry, this was unintended,
I use a dark theme extension in chrome, and this is the second time this happens to me when posting on ASR, the site changing the font code,
I will try to think of turning the dark theme off when I post on ASR, like presently.
It is a pity though because I find a dark theme much better for my eyes.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be handy to put these measurements side by side with DX7 Pro like someone did with the Sabaj unit.

bidn

To be precise, it's not just shills, but also haters. @bidn sounds to me like he has an agenda against Amir, one that I've heard before at the comment section in Archimago's Musings. There are people who think that Amir is a phony MQA defender. I've seen no evidence of that, other than out of context quotes.

This is a blatant ad hominem attack which you should withdraw because fully ungrounded:
- I hugely appreciate Amir's work (I just can't understand why different criteria are applied to MQA than to some fraudulent marketing claims for some devices)
- I never posted anything on Archimago forum.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
(I just can't understand why different criteria are applied to MQA than to some fraudulent marketing claims for some devices)
There was no attack here my friend, just an observation. If you can manifest proof (including direct quotes) of your claim that I quoted, I will be happy to find out the truth together.

miero

Have intersampling-overs been tested somewhere for es9038pro? If not, this DAC could be a good target :)

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just hope the MQA debate is not going to pollute another thread.

Everyone is entitled to expressing his / her opinions. But it should be done in appropriate places, i.e. designated threads for such discussions.

I wish to see more discussions directly related to the product, i.e. M500. :)

Top Bottom