• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

arn

Hi,

i have the hw 1.2 and sw 1.5 version. Could somebody summary to me the wellknown issues?

What i found by myself, and starts to be too much…
1. display dead pixel
2. headphone-xlr signal leaking (most annoying)
3. Pops the speakers, when i switch off

and i read now about the 3rd harmonic issue. Any else?
i bought from amazon.de shenzenaudio. I plan to send it back.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi,

i have the hw 1.2 and sw 1.5 version. Could somebody summary to me the wellknown issues?

What i found by myself, and starts to be too much…
1. display dead pixel

and i read now about the 3rd harmonic issue. Any else?
i bought from amazon.de shenzenaudio. I plan to send it back.
Your hw 1.2 and sw 1.5 M500 is an early model.

1. display dead pixel
This is a unique issue with the M500 you purchased.

This is an early known defect in the M500. Probably the current Ver2 product has not solved it.

This is a problem only for XLR connections. I also gave up the XLR connection because of this. I think this problem is still unsolved.

waver

I have m500 v1 version and XMOS 5.12 driver.
The 32-bit option that previously existed has disappeared from Windows.

Please help me.

Attachments

• 123.png
    123.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 126

NorthGraves

The 32-bit option that previously existed has disappeared from Windows.
Did you try to update firmware and back to stock version?
I suspect that's what happened.

What is the firmware version in XMOS control panel? E.g. mine is 2.06 (see the attached image).

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 106

waver

Did you try to update firmware and back to stock version?
I suspect that's what happened.

What is the firmware version in XMOS control panel? E.g. mine is 2.06 (see the attached image).

I have already done a factory reset. (Remove the plug, press the button, then insert the plug.)
And I tried to install 2.06 and 2.01 firmware on XMOS version 4.67.
However, it has not been updated and the firmware is still version 1.05.
https://todayamerican.medium.com/how-to-upgrade-the-firmware-on-your-smsl-m500-mqa-dac-63fba12c6ace

My guess is that SMSL probably blocked firmware update for m500 v1 version.
Looks like I'll have to send it to the company for repair.
Thank you.

jani80k

Did you buy a second hand unit @waver?
If you bought it from a dealer and still have proof of that, like an invoice, then you can send it in for a firmware Upgrade because of the 3rd harmonic issue.

jani80k

Isn't it a pure hardware issue? If so, I assume a firmware upgrade would not make any difference?
they replaced my v1 with a v2 and then upgraded it. it's a software fix but only works for the v2.

jani80k

V2 allows firmware upgrades, correct.

Nothing to do with the third harmonic issue...
Please read the 3rd harmonic thread, in case you are interested. Maybe there is some kind of misunderstanding, here.
Every unit has the 3rd harmonic issue, even the V2. It can be fixed via Firmware upgrade.
In case a user is sending in a v1, they will return a v2.
So my suggestion to @waver would be to send in their v1 for 3rd harmonic fixing. They would receive back a v2 with the latest firmware plus the 3rd harmonic fix applied.
There is no firmware version bump for the fix. If you send in a v2 with 2.06 you will receive back a v2 with 2.06.

waver

@jani80k It has been over a year since I purchased this product, so I am not sure if it is eligible for a replacement. However, since it is not my fault, it is a defect in the device itself, so I think it will be possible to exchange it.
When my new dac arrives, I will apply to have it repaired. Thank you.

jani80k

@jani80k It has been over a year since I purchased this product, so I am not sure if it is eligible for a replacement. However, since it is not my fault, it is a defect in the device itself, so I think it will be possible to exchange it.
When my new dac arrives, I will apply to have it repaired. Thank you.
just dont mention it. tell them you want the 3rd harmonics issue fixed and you will get a v2. it shouldnt matter if previous firmware uogrades failed or not. just dont mention it because it is irrelevant. once they have the device in their posession, they can make a plan how to get the fixed firmware onto the device or send you a replacement unit.

Top Bottom