• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
No, I haven’t received an answer yet. I did try a few different settings a while ago, but no joy, hence buying the hifiberry board. I would still like to get the pi working with the m500 via usb if possible to see whether i can pick any improvements in sound quality over optical. Any help appreciated :)
Ok I will try today.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
For piCorePlayer (v7.0.0), you have two steps.

First one, in the Squeezelite Settings, select "USB Audio" and then save. You have to reboot

1609692663766.png

Second step (I will comment this one), select in the Output Setting the following parameter (hw:CARD=AUDIO,DEV=0)

1609692825846.png

And save it. You're done.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Few more words...

For the output settings, you can select among a lot of different parameters.

I believed they were more or less equivalent.

1609692952789.png

I was wrong. The first one I selected (cannot remember wich one) produce "wrong" sound with a lot of noise. The front panel of the SMSL was indicating 48kHz, with 44kHz or 192kHz input.

I've tried few ones until the one indicated. This one produce clean audio signal and the front panel indicates the real numbers, 44kHz when it is 44 and 192kHz when it is 192kHz.

1609693324866.png

So I've learn something.

Another point : the first SMSL M500 I received was "wrong" with Linux : I was obliged to flash it, the sound level was too weak.

I've documented this point here:
https://sites.google.com/view/audiofolies/chi-fi/dac/smsl-m500/flash-m500

For piCorePlayer (v7.0.0), you have two steps.

First one, in the Squeezelite Settings, select "USB Audio" and then save. You have to reboot

View attachment 103431

Second step (I will comment this one), select in the Output Setting the following parameter (hw:CARD=AUDIO,DEV=0)

View attachment 103432

And save it. You're done.

Brilliant. Thank you so much. Really appreciate your time on this. Very kind of you. I will set this up tomorrow and report back.

In case you or anyone else here has an opinion on this... I have a Pi4, Pi3 and a Pi2 that I could use for the above, any idea which one should produce the better sound quality via USB to M500 (using PiCorePlayer) or are they likely to be too similar to offer a noticeable difference?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Brilliant. Thank you so much. Really appreciate your time on this. Very kind of you. I will set this up tomorrow and report back.

In case you or anyone else here has an opinion on this... I have a Pi4, Pi3 and a Pi2 that I could use for the above, any idea which one should produce the better sound quality via USB to M500 (using PiCorePlayer) or are they likely to be too similar to offer a noticeable difference?

You're welcome.

Just avoid Pi2. Pi3 is ok, needs less power than Pi4 and temperature is well controlled.

You didn't talk about Pi400 :) ?

Don't hesitate if you have other questions I can help.

ol_mcdonald

Can the quality/reduction of bit depth some how be measured when used at low volumes on this device? Does it alter the original digital signal when the digital volume control attenuates beyond a certain point?

I am curious about the same thing.

N

nhatlam96

Got it and love it. I use Focal Clear with it, volume m500 at 100% and windows audio at around 50%.
I found no differences to SU-9 + SP200.
I use USB IN and Headphone OUT.
What are your settings for: Filter and DPLL?
M500 version 2.jpg

audiolaw3

You can play PCM files with the Windows audio engine without installing a driver, but that method does not bring out the full potential of the M500.

I don't mean to dig up such an old message but I just purchased the M500v2 and am having troubles with this.
Where should one download the ASIO driver and how do you get Foobar to select the ASIO output?

Overall, I'm really happy with this machine, sound-wise its the Schitt Fulla, but I'm having trouble getting the best performance.
Right now all of my music (including FLAC music purchased off Linn Audio which are mastered in 92khz) is showing up as PCM 44.1 on the M500.

Any information or tutorials on this would be greatly appreciated!

audiolaw3

I don't mean to dig up such an old message but I just purchased the M500v2 and am having troubles with this.
Where should one download the ASIO driver and how do you get Foobar to select the ASIO output?

Overall, I'm really happy with this machine, sound-wise its the Schitt Fulla, but I'm having trouble getting the best performance.
Right now all of my music (including FLAC music purchased off Linn Audio which are mastered in 92khz) is showing up as PCM 44.1 on the M500.

Just as a follow-up, all that I've done after connecting the M500v2 (SW1.7, HW1.3) was to install the XMOS_USAudio_v4.67.0 driver from the SMSL website. I had to 'install' twice (the first installation required me to reboot) before the driver was actually installed.

All of my music so far registers as PCM 44.1khz on the M500.

Is it preferable instead to just go to Windows Sound --> Speakers (SMSL USB DAC) --> Properties --> Advanced --> Default Format --> 32bit 96khz? Would I be obtaining the same level of "performance"? I assume this method is not ideal.

Veri

Master Contributor

-https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#all search for SMSL M500, [4.82.0]
-www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio note it disables equaliserAPO or other system-wide effects

Is it preferable instead to just go to Windows Sound --> Speakers (SMSL USB DAC) --> Properties --> Advanced --> Default Format --> 32bit 96khz? Would I be obtaining the same level of "performance"? I assume this method is not ideal.
This will just let Windows resample everything, not really recommended.

audiolaw3

I've done after connecting the M500v2 (SW1.7, HW1.3) was to install the XMOS_USAudio_v4.67.0 driver from the SMSL website. I had to 'install' twice (the first installation required me to reboot).

All of my music so far registers as PCM 44.1khz on the M500.

Is it preferable instead to just go to Windows Sound --> Speakers (SMSL USB DAC) --> Properties -->
-https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#all search for SMSL M500, [4.82.0]
-www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio note it disables equaliserAPO or other system-wide effects

This will just let Windows resample everything, not really recommended.

Thanks you so much. The driver link is especially useful as I was trying to find how people were posting screenshots of the XMOS USB DAC Control Panel. I've also restored the windows sound settings back to default so the default format is 32bit 48khz.

Annoyingly though, despite installing the linked foo_out_asio component my foobar sample rate dosen't register on the M500. I've also already checked "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "give exclusive mode applications priority" on windows sound properties.

Playing on 48khz doesn't bother me that much (and most of my FLAC tracks are indeed 41/48khz), but the fact that these different sample rates doesn't show up on the M500 screen is worrying.

Interestingly, the "Buffer settings" of the XMOS USB Driver Control Panel does read "ASIO not active" - I wonder if this has any meaning.

I'll keep on looking online for a solution but if you have any inputs or ideas that would be greatly appreciated as well!

audiolaw3

Thanks you so much. The driver link is especially useful as I was trying to find how people were posting screenshots of the XMOS USB DAC Control Panel. I've also restored the windows sound settings back to default so the default format is 32bit 48khz.

Annoyingly though, despite installing the linked foo_out_asio component my foobar sample rate dosen't register on the M500. I've also already checked "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "give exclusive mode applications priority" on windows sound properties.

Playing on 48khz doesn't bother me that much (and most of my FLAC tracks are indeed 41/48khz), but the fact that these different sample rates doesn't show up on the M500 screen is worrying.

Interestingly, the "Buffer settings" of the XMOS USB Driver Control Panel does read "ASIO not active" - I wonder if this has any meaning.

I'll keep on looking online for a solution but if you have any inputs or ideas that would be greatly appreciated as well!

Finally found the fix - in Foobar I selected preferences - output - device --> USB DAC ASIO.
This seems to work even though there is a setting called "Default: Speakers SMSL USB DAC". This setting does not work.

On Device --> USB DAC ASIO the XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel also says that ASIO is active (PCM mode).

Thanks so much again @Veri.

NorthGraves

Why would you set it like that? Are u using usb or optical?
Using USB, I need my native DSD128, 256, and even 512:).

Why min DPLL??
The lowest bandwidth setting will give the dac less jitter - but make sure the sound is stable, no skipping etc.
It is for me at MIN.

MalinYamato

MalinYamato

I promised to get back after I have tried XLS and RCA outs to feed my own build class D amplifier.
I find no audible distortion at all and the speakers are dead quiet when no music is playing.
My message to SMSL, the little red thing is near perfect but please get on the 4.4 pentacon bandwagon -- its 2021,

20210115_030033.jpg

Top Bottom