• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

Forsaked

Do you get static with the USB disconnected?

Forsaked

My M200 just arrived and it is dead silent even on max DAC-Volume + max AMP-Volume.
I still think there must be something off with your unit.

2020-05-27 19.40.00-1.jpg

It's sitting on my bedsite table.

Last edited:

Koccio

I also ordered it from the UK three days ago.
It still hasn't been shipped.
I pair it with the IFI ICAN PRO in balanced. We will see how it goes .....

mk05

Forum Donor
Apparently the SMSL M200 is just the SMSL M300 MkII in the form factor to match the SP200 and a little more expensive than the predecessor.
Doesn't look like it.

M200 is feature packed...now the question is how much do I value MQA. From what I have read, it doesn't seem like people care for full-unfolding.

1000ROUNDZ

Doesn't look like it.

M200 is feature packed...now the question is how much do I value MQA. From what I have read, it doesn't seem like people care for full-unfolding.
Same question for me. Have never had a proper DAC with MQA decoding. Curious to see whether there's a benefit but the price difference between the D90 MQA/M400 and the M200 is just too much... There are others but I like those two's form factor to stack with my SP200.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My M200 just arrived and it is dead silent even on max DAC-Volume + max AMP-Volume.
I still think there must be something off with your unit.

Hi Forsaked, then the sound is good?

Someone wrote that on the SMSL M400 the volume seemed a little loose and plastic, what do you think the volume button?

Forsaked

It's a huge improvement from my setup before, i really like the M200 + SP200 combo.
I have the M200 no the M400 but yes, like on the SP200 the knob is plastic but not loose, a metal knob would have been better.

Koccio

no we still have no reviews on the m400 but from the first arrivals i seem to understand that the build quality is not excellent. for 750 € you can choose better.
We will see the following ....

Forsaked

There are now reviews for both, the M200 and M400.
And if you look at the new paired Topping D90 + A90, which both measured excellent, SMSL needs to deliver something equal or better to be competetive at this price point.

misterdog

no we still have no reviews on the m400 but from the first arrivals i seem to understand that the build quality is not excellent. for 750 € you can choose better.

Where ?

M400.

Better looking than I expected, very nice fit and finish.
No cover artwork on the OLED screen - it's audio not AV. (artwork is on my laptop which is bigger and better)
Sound quality - still burning in but initial thoughts are awesome.

If Amir's measures are close to the factory tested ones it should top the SINAD chart.

ModDIY

I cant reach it from where I'm sat so the remote control is a big plus.

I asked the question out of curiosity. I don't mind, because I use a Yatse application on my cell phone Android for OSMC Raspebery Pi (XBMC, Kodi).

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
We will see the following ....

Amir will have a review on M400 this week.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

ModDIY

Hello Mandy,
I have no noise, I did not receive my DAC. :)

It's not me!!

ModDIY

I get more and worse static with USB connected on m200. But I get background noise no mather what if I put max volume on sp200, when the computer sends a sound signal, that shouldn't be the case? I'm not super experienced with external dac / amp setups, but it feels wrong getting noise

Daemon85 DAC has a problem.

Top Bottom