• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

atomicminded

It's the same AKM off-the-shelf chip, so that is doubtful.

That's the same thing that was said about ESS IMD bump. That was fixed by good, 3rd party engineering. We'll see if the M400 suffers the same fate.

atomicminded

ichonderoga

Forum Donor

Attachments

• sharp_roll_off - Copy.PNG
    sharp_roll_off - Copy.PNG
    78.8 KB · Views: 208
  • short_delay_sharp_roll_off - Copy.PNG
    short_delay_sharp_roll_off - Copy.PNG
    68.7 KB · Views: 236

atomicminded

hypothetically though, an engineer could place another filter between the output of the dac, and the final output at the xlr. This could be implemented as an analog or digital solution. Is this not correct?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
hypothetically though, an engineer could place another filter between the output of the dac, and the final output at the xlr. This could be implemented as an analog or digital solution. Is this not correct?
It is partially correct, in theory.
On the output side, it's the analog world, so only an analog solution is possible. A low distortion high order analog filter would cost a fortune.

Veri

Master Contributor
Gustard has done such a thing on the X26 with ESS9038Pro.
5yPOfkt.png

Karu

Forum Donor
Would anyone know if it’s possible to choose the source directly rather than cycling through the available input sources with a different programmable remote?

atomicminded

so it DOES seem that, while it could cost extra, it would be possible to add even more filtering at the the front end or the back end of the dac chip. Again will see is the m400 adds any new special sauce to the mix.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
what is the difference between this SMSL M200 and the M300MKII ?
The M200 has the better bluetooth. M300 has only aptx as an extra codec, M200 has ldac and that new uat. Ldac is the one that really matters, every Android phone has it.

igorpadrao

Apparently the SMSL M200 is just the SMSL M300 MkII in the form factor to match the SP200 and a little more expensive than the predecessor.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Apparently the SMSL M200 is just the SMSL M300 MkII in the form factor to match the SP200 and a little more expensive than the predecessor.
Do tell us what you know S.M.S.L igorpadrao,can I get a discount,asking for a friend.

LDKTA

Received the SMSL M200 today and I am definitely a fan.
Complaints:
- I'd like to be able to control the volume using another remote (such as my Apple TV 4K remote) instead of the included remote. Any way to do this? There must be.
- The fact that the volume is from 40 to 0. I prefer to have as much control as possible. 80 to 0 or ideally 99/100 to 0 would be ideal.

Top Bottom