• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 DSD CLICK

Corey340

Does anyone know if the SMSL M400 have the click at the start of DSD playback?

OP
C

Corey340

Thanks for the update! I was trying to decide whether to replace my D90 which I love except for the click when switching sample rate to DSD (which I consider unacceptable in it's price range).

Tavy

I don't know if the source device has any influence but in my case I'm using Auralic Aries G1

OP
C

Corey340

I've read that some sources (J River, Foobar) have had issues with clicks but they were corrected some time ago. Unfortunately, the hardware people are still largely blaming the software people. I only hope that the guys who test on ASR will make that part of their regular DAC testing.

Tavy

After several tests I've found an important issue with DSD files (I've posted it in the other thread) so probably I will return it waiting for a proper implementation of AK4499

Tavy

I just purchased a D90 MQA and there are no clicks when changing different formats sampling rates but I will do more tests in the coming days

Tavy

Sorry, the clicks are here when you change from DSD to PCM but only if you set "Native" for DSD. I didn't observe clicks for DoP mode but I will test more. Maybe is the same for D90 - you are using Native or DoP?

Tavy

You can't hear a click in DoP mode because it's actually a PCM file and not a DSD.
I know, I just wanted to clarify that when I tested and said the "no click" the USB interface it was in DoP mode.

OP
C

Corey340

In native mode, the D90 clicks regardless if you upsample to DSD or play DSF files. I've reached out to the reseller to see if there is a firmware solution but so far... crickets. I'm expecting an M400 this weekend and hopefully it won't click but my expectations are pretty low at this point.

Tavy

I've just unboxed M400 once again to test but there is no "clicks" when USB interface is set in "Native" mode and switch from PCM to DSD or between different DSD sampling rates (tested only for 2.8 and 5.6 MHz) so for this part I guess SMSL has a better implementation compared with Topping. Unfortunately the M400 has to go back due to some DSD issues I've found but I guess I had bad luck and received a defective product.

Hemi-Demon

In native mode, the D90 clicks regardless if you upsample to DSD or play DSF files. I've reached out to the reseller to see if there is a firmware solution but so far... crickets. I'm expecting an M400 this weekend and hopefully it won't click but my expectations are pretty low at this point.

You might want to return your unit, my D90 does not click or pop, when upsampling to DSD (using HQplayer and or JRiver).

bahamot

Same here. Changing between pcm and dsd on D90 without click or pop ( using UAPP).

Tavy

Unfortunately for D90 MQA I have issues when using "Native" DSD changinf from DSD to PCM (obviously no issue for DoP mode). Maybe one day Topping will have a fix using the model of M400

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This thread is a bit surreal. There is a secret society of people who started out with giant collections of PCM music files, but then replaced every other track in their playlists with the DSD version of the file. Any moment now, we will be entertained with a juggling act involving a D90 and an M400. But if anyone in the audience makes a clicking noise, the performer will clap his hands over his ears, and the DACs will crash to the floor. So, quiet please.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I want to see if my m400 clicks. How do i reproduce it?

zskyper

wtf is that! guys are u serious?
I wonder why I'm writing reports in D90 thread if no one take a little time to READ them CAREFULLY!

First the loud pops during rate change from DSD to PCM has been only seen on linux platform due certainly to the XMOS XU216, in other words other platform like Windows or on Mac using latest driver/firmware are okay!

Second using DoP has nothing to do with the pops/clicks problem.
In short:
DoP is DSD "encapsulated" in PCM format/header which means:
1. if the usb dac failed to read DSD then the stream is converted to PCM, no pops/click because WE DO NOT CHANGE RATE here this is from PCM to PCM!!!!!!!!!!! so could you please stop saying bullsh*t!

2. on usb DAC that support native DSD using DoP result to a pure DSD sound! and the pops/clicks issue remains during the rate change from DSD to PCM

I found something more specific about DoP on dCS website:
It involves taking groups of 16 adjacent 1-bit samples from a DSD stream and packing them into the lower 16 bits of a 24/176.4 data stream. Data from the other channel of the stereo pair is packed the same way. A specific marker code in the top 8 bits identifies the data stream as DoP, rather than PCM. The resulting DoP stream can be transmitted through existing 24/192-capable USB, AES, Dual AES or SPDIF interfaces to a DoP-compatible DAC, which reassembles the original stereo DSD data stream COMPLETELY UNCHANGED. If something goes wrong and the data stream is decoded as PCM, the output will be low-level noise with faint music in the back ground, so it fails safely. This can happen if the computer erases the marker code by applying a volume adjustment.

so please if you have an issue with your usb dac BE MORE SPECIFIC and give details on the context! OS, hardware, software, driver/firmware version...
thanks!
Cheers,
z

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The D90 MQA related pop issue has already been addressed. Upgrade to the newest firmware to see if situation improves. If you encounter any issue directly contact Topping customer service, or me. If your product is from SMSL directly contact them as well. Resellers are resellers, they don't get to fix the issue, only thing they can do is letting you return the unit if you are not satisfied or report back to us if the issue is a general issue. That's very natural and normal. Discussing with other users on forum won't help or is very inefficient.

Top Bottom