• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Theres a new USB driver we can get?

The drivers are made by Thesycon. They released since 12/04/2020 (over a month ago):
https://www.thesycon.de/usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt

The manufacturers are begin too lazy in not release (or update) them. All they need to do is rebranding them.

Another example is Topping, also didn't update the driver, and worse. I sent e-mail couple days ago asking for it, so far ZERO reply.

Last edited:

mkawa

Forum Donor
is anyone else having trouble with stuttering and audio corruption on usb (via amazon music) on macos? i'm afraid i have a bum unit :(

misterdog

Try a different source/cable. Try a local file.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
is anyone else having trouble with stuttering and audio corruption on usb (via amazon music) on macos? i'm afraid i have a bum unit :(
No, Tidal was messing up for a while before an update though.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
The drivers are made by Thesycon. They released since 12/04/2020 (over a month ago):
https://www.thesycon.de/usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt

The manufacturers are begin too lazy in not release (or update) them. All they need to do is rebranding them.

Another example is Topping, also didn't update the driver, and worse. I sent e-mail couple days ago asking for it, so far ZERO reply.
can that be used with the m400?

Gradius

can that be used with the m400?

Thesycon is the common driver provider for products that have XMOS chips.

The manufacture then just rebrand it.

"The concept of our driver is that ASIO always is preferred over Windows sound devices. That means if an application plays sound through Windows sound devices and ASIO is started with a different sample rate than this application is interrupted because ASIO can change the sample rate. If ASIO is started with the same sample rate than the audio data of the application and ASIO is mixed.

WASAPI exclusive mode is a mechanism of Windows. In shared mode multiple applications can play at the same time and Windows mixes this signals. In exclusive, only one application uses the sound device and takes control over the sample rate. No other application can use the sound device during this time. But this is independent from ASIO. ASIO is still preferred over Windows sound devices used in exclusive mode. This is because the driver can't detect if the Windows sound device is used in exclusive mode or not."

Source:
https://www.matrix-digi.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=28

More infos:
https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_audiodriver.shtml

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Thesycon is the common driver provider for products that have XMOS chips.

The manufacture then just rebrand it.

"The concept of our driver is that ASIO always is preferred over Windows sound devices. That means if an application plays sound through Windows sound devices and ASIO is started with a different sample rate than this application is interrupted because ASIO can change the sample rate. If ASIO is started with the same sample rate than the audio data of the application and ASIO is mixed.

WASAPI exclusive mode is a mechanism of Windows. In shared mode multiple applications can play at the same time and Windows mixes this signals. In exclusive, only one application uses the sound device and takes control over the sample rate. No other application can use the sound device during this time. But this is independent from ASIO. ASIO is still preferred over Windows sound devices used in exclusive mode. This is because the driver can't detect if the Windows sound device is used in exclusive mode or not."

Source:
https://www.matrix-digi.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=28

More infos:
https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_audiodriver.shtml
Can you link the generic driver?

Veri

Master Contributor
Can you link the generic driver?
Cannot work, needs to be signed for a manufacturer which costs fair bit of licensing. There is an XMOS generic evaluation driver but it beeps every few minutes, so unusable in practice.

thegeton

Forum Donor

You might try a reclocker and the shortest USB cable possible.

Last edited:

THIBAULT

Bonjour,
j'ai un des premiers M400. Quelle est la procédure pour améliorer le problème sur les RCA.
Cordialement
Bonjour,
J'ai l'un des premiers M400. Quelle est la procédure pour améliorer le problème sur RCA.
Sincères amitiés
send it back for a change. Could you give me your order number?

Hi, my order number is 1483. Regards.

SwissBear

Forum Donor
Hi @SMSL-Mandy,

I’m on contemplating the purchase of SMSL M400.

Could you please help me understand how this DAC is handling the clock signals of its I2S input. Is it reclocking them according to its own internal clock (internal clock is master) or is it just processing them as they are (I2S clock is master) ?

Thanks,

Pierre

Veri

Master Contributor
I’m on contemplating the purchase of SMSL M400.

Could you please help me understand how this DAC is handling the clock signals of its I2S input. Is it reclocking them according to its own internal clock (internal clock is master) or is it just processing them as they are (I2S clock is master) ?
I believe pretty much every single DAC with I2S input, feeds it straight to the DAC. Other inputs are first converted to I2S and go to receiver/reclocking/...

SwissBear

Forum Donor
I believe pretty much every single DAC with I2S input, feeds it straight to the DAC. Other inputs are first converted to I2S and go to receiver/reclocking/...
Hi @Veri, thanks for your response.
Looking at the drawings of some implementations, I also tend to understand that the I2S is not going through either of the circuits in charge of clocking (USB or SPDIF). So I would infer from that that there is no reclocking of the I2S flow. But a confirmation of @SMSL-Mandy would be appreciated :)

Top Bottom