• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

Risc1911

Interesting, my Thesycon ASIO driver is unavailable since a Windows 10 update a few weeks back. I've tried reinstalling it a couple of times but does not show as available in JRiver.
I'm using WASAPI out which John Yang said was as good.

Correct me if i am wrong, but technically you don't need to install any driver. Both the SMSL and Questyle were detected by Windows on first connect and worked fine. ASIO is only needed for SACD. OR are there any other benefits?

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Volikovvv , @Risc1911,

I have just played a You Tube video, followed by a BBC Radio 6 stream, followed by several files from my SSD in my NUC server (44.1 and 88.2Khz.) through JRiver WASAPI.
No dropouts or reboots required, I suspect you should look at your PC and Foobar settings if you have issues.

Risc1911

@Volikovvv , @Risc1911,

I have just played a You Tube video, followed by a BBC Radio 6 stream, followed by several files from my SSD in my NUC server (44.1 and 88.2Khz.) through JRiver WASAPI.
No dropouts or reboots required, I suspect you should look at your PC and Foobar settings if you have issues.

WASAPI needs exclusive mode. You can't watch youtube videos while you have foobar locking the WASAPI device. The lock happens when you try to do two things at the same time. You also wont hear anyone if a zoom call pops up.

Even though annoying, this is by design.

PS: How do you watch youtube through WASAPI?

Last edited:

misterdog

Correct me if i am wrong, but technically you don't need to install any driver

It was supplied as a firmware upgrade soon after M400 release so I added it. It is probably now shipped as standard.

Volikovvv

@Volikovvv , @Risc1911,

Reproduced multiple dac freezes on macbook pro today(went to my friend to use with other operating system), thank you for response and opinion. Next week device will delivered to local repair service center, i will share updates on this case. Issue with the seller is resolved, no more object to discuss in this direction i think, but from technical point, i think you will be interested in what really happen, i will share this info. Thank you to all. But the issue is not pc related, because reproduce on multiple OS.

update: I will request technical reason from service center and share this with the community. I decided not to play as role of private investigator anymore, i'm robotic process automation software engineer, not a audio engineer, but i know how pc interacts with external devices, and from the very beginning - it was absolutely clear for me, that the issue is not on pc side. Thank you guys

Risc1911

SMSLM400+SP400

1. Why is the M400 DAC so incredibly expensive (almost 900 Euro)?
2. Which other DAC would pair well with the SP400 AMP without losing much of the sound quality, especially the soundstage?
3. Can it even be replaced at all or are these two married for good?

Thanks everyone.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
SMSLM400+SP400

1. Why is the M400 DAC so incredibly expensive (almost 900 Euro)?
2. Which other DAC would pair well with the SP400 AMP without losing much of the sound quality, especially the soundstage?
3. Can it even be replaced at all or are these two married for good?

Thanks everyone.
Regarding price, the M400 includes MQA which undoubtedly adds a substantial amount for licensing.

misterdog

And HDMI I2s input, Bluetooth input, not sure how many actually use these but some insist on their value.

Still a great DAC though, measures the same as the MolaMola DAC at £ 10K.

Risc1911

Regarding price, the M400 includes MQA which undoubtedly adds a substantial amount for licensing.

And HDMI I2s input, Bluetooth input, not sure how many actually use these but some insist on their value.

Still a great DAC though, measures the same as the MolaMola DAC at £ 10K.

Technically the DAC and AMP are incredible, but i hate the build quality, the displays are just fluff and look like 1980 AOL. Plus i really don't need all that jazz. I have no idea how to get blutooth to work either, lol. I know i am really a noob with this kinda stuff.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Technically the DAC and AMP are incredible, but i hate the build quality, the displays are just fluff and look like 1980 AOL. Plus i really don't need all that jazz. I have no idea how to get blutooth to work either, lol. I know i am really a noob with this kinda stuff.
To use Bluetooth, you need to go into the DAC menu and scroll down. I've used Bluetooth on my M400 successfully, but I've found that its generally more hassle than its worth, considering I can listen from my phone to a dedicated BT speaker.

Risc1911

To use Bluetooth, you need to go into the DAC menu and scroll down. I've used Bluetooth on my M400 successfully, but I've found that its generally more hassle than its worth, considering I can listen from my phone to a dedicated BT speaker.

I got it to work, had to attach that little antenna or no signal. It's "only" 44.1 Khz. I rather these have a USB-c port to charge and also play from phone. That would be more useful.

Tomorrow i get an REM ADI-2, wonder how that will sound compared. People seem to really like it in general.
I also need to get MQA to work, just for shits and giggles. I got SACD to work, i am proud of myself! (foobar makes it easy)

What also grinds my gears with the SMSL is that if you switch to any other input the USB (and Bluetooth also) will disappear from windows and it screws up your default device settings and anything that had that device selected. Why turn of USB?

Last edited:

Shimei

@amirm,
Thank you for your measurements/review. I integrated the M400 into my system today as I've been using a Bluesound Node 2i's dac as a temporarily fill in. What a contrast.
If anyone may be interested in my SMSL M400 DAC Impressions

Last edited:

jc7788

Maybe somebody from SMSL official contact persons are here, please assist.

Guys could you please assist, likely im very lucky with these devices, but I have a problem with the sound freezing when changing the sampling frequency, when switching from music with 44.1khz to 48khz sound gets freezed , and continue playing only just after device reboot.
I've already tried:
1. Change usb ports.
2. Change laptop to pc.
3. Install/unisntall drivers.
4. Change usb cable.
And only reboot helps.

Just imagine, im listening to general 44.1khz music, and then just switch the tab to youtube and sound stream - freezes, this case gets only fixed with device reboot, until reboot nothing happens, even windows 10 volume mixer did not provide sound. I need to reboot my device 7-10 times per day lol.

p.s. Just a few words, i'm very lucky lol, my previous unit - Allo revolution died from first days, but their support sent me replacement device, and i was very happy with that solution, big thanks to ALLO! Next device from another seems to be good brand, just get freeze when switching between sampling rate, well, sound really strange, why did this happen to me:( only in 2021 year! Last year i had to own huge amount of different devices and everything was just fine, only from dac point in 2020 i'm already owned: teradak chameleon, topping e30, schiit modius, smsl m8, little dot dac 1, chord mojo - and everything works fine, but this year just started strange things to happen, second dac, and second with surprises.
I don't know how to contact smsl, but via ali express where it was bought, they just told me to reinstall the driver. Somebody can assist with contacting them? If i bought device from local shop, i will have no issue to return it, but shopping from ali its like the lottery, and the most expensive purchase on ali - broken unit. I can provide video evidences to smsl representative to private message and photo's of serial number, oder on ali and other details. Order was placed on ali express on 23th of February and delivierd by DHL on 5th of March
Hi Volikovvv, if you are connecting the m400 via the usb port, then you may try to upgrade the version of the xmos usb dac driver from here, just choose the M400 to download the version 5.0.
I find the v5.0 driver has fixed the problem of switching between Foobar and youtube.
Previously, after listening DSD songs in Foobar, when i try to change to watch youtube, i will have to reboot the smsl m400 for the youtube to have any sounds.
After upgraded the xmos usb dac driver to v5.0, i don't have to reboot the m400 anymore, i just need to stop the music in the Foobar, and then i can just play the youtube video, and sound is there immediately.

Last edited:

misterdog

then you may try to upgrade the version of the xmos usb dac driver from here, just choose the M400 to download the version 5.0.
I find the v5.0 driver has fixed the problem of switching between Foobar and youtube.

:)
How did you find that this new version was available, I have had no notification.

Last edited:

jc7788

:)
How did you find that this new version was available, I have had no notification.
I found it purely by luck.
SMSL should publish this into their M400 product page or try to find a way to let the user knows.

Attachments

• XMOS v5.0.JPG
    XMOS v5.0.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 191

0RF30

All using Foobar though ?

Foobar is'nt crossplatform, unless you run it in virtual machine of course.

Exclusive audio modes and Windows are not very good friends, since a long time. Best compatibility is using ASIO4ALL driver.

Top Bottom