• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Thank you for response. And one more question, currently i connected m400 through rca outputs, what the difference in sound between RCA and XLR on this dac? Is it worth to buy klotz cable with neutrik connectors for this unit to connect the headphone amp? amp single ended, but with XLR inputs, Flux FA-12S, XLR sounds better?
Balanced XLR connections are a carryover from the professional audio world where cable lengths can be hundreds of feet and therefore induced interference into the cable can cause problems. In home applications, there is no need to use a balanced (really differential) connection unless your cabling is picking up hum and noise, which it really won't if its relatively short. The RCA output is typically derived from the balanced output of the DAC chip, and thus there is an additional stage of electronics; this is unlikely to cause anything which would be remotely audible.

In my own system which uses the M400, I run the balanced outputs to the transformer isolated inputs of my preamp simply because my system is very complex (a studio really) and I need the isolation from potential ground loops. I run the unbalanced RCA outputs to my patch bay so I can record on outboard analog tape gear. You're unlikely to run into anything nearly this specialized in your home system. Bottom line - if you have a preamp which has balanced inputs and a couple XLR cables laying around, by all means use them. But I wouldn't spend any extra money to do this otherwise, and I'd recommend just using the RCAs.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I had read that the SMSL had slightly rolled off high frequencies. I haven’t found that to be the case.

I have the M400 and did measurements on it because I heard of this potential issue. The M400 does not have rolled off highs anywhere near the audio band. Maybe earlier production units did, but not current ones.

I have the M400 and did measurements on it because I heard of this potential issue. The M400 does not have rolled off highs anywhere near the audio band. Maybe earlier production units did, but not current ones.
I find it amazing what kind of DAC you can purchase for under $1,000 these days. It also makes me wonder what you are getting from companies that sell $20K DACs. Are you paying for more bling?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
YesOTE="Standingstones, post: 697103, member: 27174"]I find it amazing what kind of DAC you can purchase for under $1,000 these days. It also makes me wonder what you are getting from companies that sell $20K DACs. Are you paying for more bling?[/QUOTE]
Yes.....

What amazing you found in m400? What makes you think this way about it? Measurements? I not prefer the way it sounds. Actually it is the worst investment this year for me, I don't understand for what i spent 850$.
A few years back I purchased the Oppo Sonica DAC for $1,000. I enjoyed the sound I got from it. A few months ago I got the itch to have a new DAC. I purchased the Gustard A18. I felt there was an improvement in the sound and the cost was around $400 less. Granted the SMSL was about $860. I wanted to try a couple of new DACs And I enjoyed the sound from both of them.

I have a system down in my garage and I will use one of the extra DACS down there. Sorry you were disappointed in your DAC purchases.

YesOTE="Standingstones, post: 697103, member: 27174"]I find it amazing what kind of DAC you can purchase for under $1,000 these days. It also makes me wonder what you are getting from companies that sell $20K DACs. Are you paying for more bling?
Yes.....[/QUOTE]
In particular, I wonder how much better the DACs from dCS are? I find it hard to believe you are getting a piece of equipment that is 25 to 30 better than a unit selling for $1K.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
In particular, I wonder how much better the DACs from dCS are? I find it hard to believe you are getting a piece of equipment that is 25 to 30 better than a unit selling for $1K.[/QUOTE]
A lot of the cost of very high end gear is the way-overbuilt nature of the chassis and some of the electronics - things which might make a difference if we were talking about military or aerospace equipment, but which don't matter squat for the specs and quality we expect from home gear. I know first hand how much thick billet and other bling brings to the cost, yet you could put these same high end electronics in a plain aluminum Bud Box and it wouldn't matter a bit as long as good engineering practice was followed with circuit layout etc.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
A few years back I purchased the Oppo Sonica DAC for $1,000. I enjoyed the sound I got from it. A few months ago I got the itch to have a new DAC. I purchased the Gustard A18. I felt there was an improvement in the sound and the cost was around $400 less. Granted the SMSL was about $860. I wanted to try a couple of new DACs And I enjoyed the sound from both of them.

I have a system down in my garage and I will use one of the extra DACS down there. Sorry you were disappointed in your DAC purchases.

I used to have the Sonica DAC too, but wanted something more current (and currently supported) for my main system. The Sonica is now serving in my 2nd system in another room.

Volikovvv

Maybe somebody from SMSL official contact persons are here, please assist.

Guys could you please assist, likely im very lucky with these devices, but I have a problem with the sound freezing when changing the sampling frequency, when switching from music with 44.1khz to 48khz sound gets freezed , and continue playing only just after device reboot.
I've already tried:
1. Change usb ports.
2. Change laptop to pc.
3. Install/unisntall drivers.
4. Change usb cable.
And only reboot helps.

Just imagine, im listening to general 44.1khz music, and then just switch the tab to youtube and sound stream - freezes, this case gets only fixed with device reboot, until reboot nothing happens, even windows 10 volume mixer did not provide sound. I need to reboot my device 7-10 times per day lol.

p.s. Just a few words, i'm very lucky lol, my previous unit - Allo revolution died from first days, but their support sent me replacement device, and i was very happy with that solution, big thanks to ALLO! Next device from another seems to be good brand, just get freeze when switching between sampling rate, well, sound really strange, why did this happen to me:( only in 2021 year! Last year i had to own huge amount of different devices and everything was just fine, only from dac point in 2020 i'm already owned: teradak chameleon, topping e30, schiit modius, smsl m8, little dot dac 1, chord mojo - and everything works fine, but this year just started strange things to happen, second dac, and second with surprises.
I don't know how to contact smsl, but via ali express where it was bought, they just told me to reinstall the driver. Somebody can assist with contacting them? If i bought device from local shop, i will have no issue to return it, but shopping from ali its like the lottery, and the most expensive purchase on ali - broken unit. I can provide video evidences to smsl representative to private message and photo's of serial number, oder on ali and other details. Order was placed on ali express on 23th of February and delivierd by DHL on 5th of March

Last edited:

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What music player are you using on your PC and which driver ?

I use JRiver on PC (Win 10) into M400 via USB and all works fine. Using WASAPI out though as the Thesycon ASIO driver seemed to die after a Windows update recently.

Volikovvv

What music player are you using on your PC and which driver ?

I use JRiver on PC (Win 10) into M400 via USB and all works fine. Using WASAPI out though as the Thesycon ASIO driver seemed to die after a Windows update recently.
It does not matter in my case: I can have video call via skype and then just switch to windows media and - thats it, sound stream - freezes. Can use default output device in foobar and then switch to youtube or vise versa, does not matter, sound stream to device make dac freeze until reboot. All windows soft are in default settings, not special settings there, i tried a clean pc, without special audio drivers - did not help, firmware is the latest. Well you know, just don't want to use that thing anymore, really... Sad to understand that purchases via aliexpress are not safe, better to buy from local shops with guarantee and government law protection(14 days in my country), because this issue from the first day, and from the first to third i tried to fix it by myself and actually tired, 1100$ for devices and taxes to get THIS!

I think this is an exception, but it is better to have warranty and legislative protection against defects and warranty repairs. in my situation who will help me now? Only the power of the forum can and that's it, and then this situation will remain entirely on the desire and unwillingness to solve the problem on the part of the manufacturer, I am a hostage of the situation in any case. I actually had no issues with audio devices maybe for 2010-2020 years at all, and two issues just in the start of 2021 lol, very interesting what is the next step of SMSL if any.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
This sounds like a computer thing verses a DAC thing. I've used this DAC for a few months, and although I've had a few glitches, they were very minor and didn't require a reboot. Nothing approaching the problem you're having.

Volikovvv

Is there any chances for reaction from SMSL side on this forum? I opened dispute on aliexpress, but i don't know how fair it can be, will see in 5 days.

misterdog

Have you considered contacting SMSL direct ?

I suspect however that once you tell them the issue concerns Skype and You Tube they will tell you what has been said above.

If you play music from your PC will it play both 44.1 and then 48/92 Khz without freezing, if so that tells you the problem is not with the DAC.

Volikovvv

Have you considered contacting SMSL direct ?

I suspect however that once you tell them the issue concerns Skype and You Tube they will tell you what has been said above.

If you play music from your PC will it play both 44.1 and then 48/92 Khz without freezing, if so that tells you the problem is not with the DAC
Lol what:D:D:D Sounds like Nice joke:) but in fact not, because it is my 1k$:)

Yes i wrote them a letter to facebook account, but nobody answers, if there is any other possibility to contact them, please share, will be appreciated. Requested partial refund on ali to repair it in local service center, because don't want to wait for months to send it back.

Volikovvv

Last resort you could try Google ?

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/about/contact.html

Though if you talk to them as you talk on this forum I suspect they will have little time for you.

Looks like i'm banned in google - lol, did not saw this page, thank you, will write about the unit there. About the way i talk, sorry for i don't want to offend someone. Just very angry about this situation, thank you for response and advice!

Last edited:

misterdog

Good luck - I suspect you will need it.
Have you tried playing music at different frequencies through it ?

Top Bottom