• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If this is such a brilliant move I would have emphasized to ASR even more!!! But they preferred to hide "the great discovering". Anyway, its ok. Again, it is not about specifically 1.200 or 2.200 ohms.
Can't you just stop? It's literally in the datasheet of ak4499.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Can't you just stop? It's literally in the datasheet of ak4499.
I echo that. This is getting to be like some stupid conspiracy theory. I just tried - in vain obviously - to explain that the use of resistors in line outputs is not some evil thing, but standard practice. My bad in trying to bring clarity.

ethanhallbeyer

Just a note regarding the output impedance:
Seems even the Denafrips ARES II DAC has a high number, comparable to the SMSL m400?:

Analog Output
  • RCA at 2.2Vrms, 625 Ω
  • XLR at 4.4Vrms, 1250 Ω

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Just a note regarding the output impedance:
Seems even the Denafrips ARES II DAC has a high number, comparable to the SMSL m400?:

Analog Output
  • RCA at 2.2Vrms, 625 Ω
  • XLR at 4.4Vrms, 1250 Ω
Both of those resistances are trivial. Looking at high frequency rolloff as a result of output resistance, suppose we have an output resistor of 7,950 ohms and we assume a total cable capacitance of 100pF. That would give a -3dB point at around 200kHz. If the input impedance of the amplifier was also 7,950 ohms (unlikely that low), then the gain loss would be -6dB.

Believe me, working at the sausage factory as I do, there are a lot more ugly things to obsess about than buildout resistors, and that is true of all sausage factories (uh, manufacturers)! ;)

ethanhallbeyer

Both of those resistances are trivial. Looking at high frequency rolloff as a result of output resistance, suppose we have an output resistor of 7,950 ohms and we assume a total cable capacitance of 100pF. That would give a -3dB point at around 200kHz. If the input impedance of the amplifier was also 7,950 ohms (unlikely that low), then the gain loss would be -6dB.

Believe me, working at the sausage factory as I do, there are a lot more ugly things to obsess about than buildout resistors, and that is true of all sausage factories (uh, manufacturers)! ;)

Ok thanks. I just was worried my component matching would get more complicated due to this, but noticed Denafrips Ares II also has about the same.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Ok thanks. I just was worried my component matching would get more complicated due to this, but noticed Denafrips Ares II also has about the same.
Manufacturers are going to keep their components compatible with each other in the vast number of cases, the exception being maybe some tweaky high end thing.

jcslone

Wow what a thread :)

Here's a question that hasn't been asked, can I used my TV's eARC HDMI port with the I2S port on the M400? My initial research suggests this is possible.

TIA!

wyup

Wow what a thread :)

Here's a question that hasn't been asked, can I used my TV's eARC HDMI port with the I2S port on the M400? My initial research suggests this is possible.

TIA!

Ha! Not at all, they are different protocols...
eARC is enhanced audio return channel. I2S is more low-level circuit-board serial connection. Both are clocked, but differently muxed. They both use hdmi connector, but different pin scheme. In fact there is no agreed standard for I2S.

Last edited:

jcslone

eARC is enhanced audio return channel. I2S is more low-level circuit-board serial cnnection. Both are clocked, but I2S is not muxed like ARC. They both use hdmi connector, but different pin scheme. In fact there is no agreed standard for I2S.
Cool, thank you for the response! I currently have two sources (optical from the TV which receives audio/video from my Xbox) and optical from my Audioengine B-Fi streamer. I've been using a powered optical switchbox to switch between sources, but eventually I'd like to remove the switchbox from the chain and have all sources go directly into the DAC.

wyup

Cool, thank you for the response! I currently have two sources (optical from the TV which receives audio/video from my Xbox) and optical from my Audioengine B-Fi streamer. I've been using a powered optical switchbox to switch between sources, but eventually I'd like to remove the switchbox from the chain and have all sources go directly into the DAC.
I have seen on aliexpress a HDMI to I2S converter. That might work with your eARC:

https://aliexpress.com/item/32961686980.html

wyup

I'm not really keen on buying through Ali (I just prefer to stick to Amazon, OEMs, and reputed eBay sellers). Is there an in-line conversion solution that would potentially work?
You could use this from Amazon to demux eARC HDMI out from your TV to coax and switch inputs on the dac. TVs output optical and ARC simultaneously.

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
eARC is enhanced audio return channel. I2S is more low-level circuit-board serial connection. Both are clocked, but differently muxed. They both use hdmi connector, but different pin scheme. In fact there is no agreed standard for I2S.
Check the I2S if match? There are I2S settings in the manual.
Thanks

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

mkawa

Forum Donor
cool! love supporting SMSL. buying directly for US shipment now. happy 11.11!

ethanhallbeyer

Hey, how does the upgraded one sound on RCAs, gone the highs roll-off? We want to know...

smsl said it is fixed. i dont use rca so didnt test. just wanted to have the fix in case i ever do. maybe someone with the fix can measure pr confirm by ear.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Wait.. The new m400s have the rca fixed?

Top Bottom