• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

Nango

Major Contributor
Topping D90 has a secondary windings for all 7 stereo op-amps with only 0,1A. So, it has a output buffer but it has not enough current. The sound is faint, without contrasts, 2D, without transients.
So, Topping or SMSL are the same...... They care only about the measurements, not about the sound. It is just a marketing strategy to kill the western audio companies.
If you want a good sound, you have too look elsewhere.
Purely ASR-driven. Opportunists.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
M400-换电容RMS Level.jpg

About the measurement after the upgrade.

Nango

Major Contributor
Are you in a bad mood today?
The opposite. I already wrote here a year ago mfrs could be tempted to make whatever it takes in order to solely achieve the measurements in detriment of whatever other parameters, as seen here. Now finally it happened, doesn't surprise me.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Yes, only after @amirm advised.

Although our design was based on the sense of hearing at the beginning, setting a higher capacitance caused the parameters to be not good. We will accept the subsequent modifications based on the feedback, but the customer’s feedback and needs will be accepted. Is there something wrong?

There are a thousand Hamlets in a thousand people's eyes. Maybe if we don’t modify it, John from topping will give us more comments. :facepalm: Thank you John from topping for so much attention here.:(

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The opposite. I already wrote here a year ago mfrs could be tempted to make whatever it takes in order to solely achieve the measurements in detriment of whatever other parameters, as seen here. Now finally it happened, doesn't surprise me.
High output impedance regularly happen in older products. And the statement of other guy you replied to is simply false. You are on ASR for this long and cannot tell what's BS?
Also the circuit is literally on the datasheet. There's nothing intentionally wrong about this.
Also you mentioned far east. Seriously? If you want to talk about opportunist, if anyone it should be Schiit, an American company. And can you imagine ASR without SMSL and TOPPING all along? I really hoped you were joking or having a bad mood. But you weren't. So middle finger to you and get lost.

Nango

Major Contributor
Yes, should have said "chinese" instead of "far east" as my argument often applies to chinese mfrs. Edit: And I reiterate, it is a very opportunistic behaviour by some of them to be insanely keen to archive the SINAD figures in detriment of other aspects of the design. Now the testing suite revealed it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, should have said "chinese" instead of "far east" as my argument often applies to chinese mfrs.
That's the same thing.

Again, as stated, the M400 circuit is shown on Datasheet.

And the current limited supply in D90 is meaningless and BS. If it is limiting current of course it will show on measurement. That's why we need measurement in the first place.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes, should have said "chinese" instead of "far east" as my argument often applies to chinese mfrs. Edit: And I reiterate, it is a very opportunistic behaviour by some of them to be insanely keen to archive the SINAD figures in detriment of other aspects of the design. Now the testing suite revealed it.
Ok , please keep your prejudiced blab to yourself.

There's a few manufacturers that are chasing measured performance, who recognise a new trend in assessing performance.

It's not just a ' Chinese ' thing .

Top Bottom