• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

Phony846

I just got my SMSL M400 and paired it with my Monoprice THX amp + HiFiMan Arya headphones via USB to my Mac with Audirvana. TBH, this is my first 'audiophile' headphone setup. I have a library of FLAC and MQA tracks, and I must say I'm BLOWN away! The sound is beyond amazing, and I'm very happy with the quality of the M400 minus the volume knob. SMSL seriously needs to upgrade the very plastic and wobbly feel of that knob. This is my first desktop DAC, so I can't offer comparison to other DACs. This is a keeper!

Phony846

I ran into an odd issue with my brand new M400. As background, I have the M400 connected via USB to my Mac and Monoprice THX headphone amp with Hifiman Arya headphones. I had the M400 configured for fixed volume pre-out (80). For 99% of my FLAC tracks, this was perfect. However, at least two tracks (MS MR "All the things lost" and The Chainsmokers "Sick boy") there was VERY noticeable distortion for the kick drums (?). It's like something was being significantly over driven. I took the M400 out of pre-mode and reduced the volume to 60, and boosted the gain and volume on my Monoprice amp and the distortion completely went away.

To me this points to some issue in the M400?

Toku

Major Contributor
I ran into an odd issue with my brand new M400. As background, I have the M400 connected via USB to my Mac and Monoprice THX headphone amp with Hifiman Arya headphones. I had the M400 configured for fixed volume pre-out (80). For 99% of my FLAC tracks, this was perfect. However, at least two tracks (MS MR "All the things lost" and The Chainsmokers "Sick boy") there was VERY noticeable distortion for the kick drums (?). It's like something was being significantly over driven. I took the M400 out of pre-mode and reduced the volume to 60, and boosted the gain and volume on my Monoprice amp and the distortion completely went away.

The cause is that the signal that exceeds the maximum level of the input of Monoprice amp was output from M400.
To avoid the problem, it is practical to lower the output of M400.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

This is normal. As far as I know, the input of Monoprice THX is ADC, and it cannot accept 100% of the M400 input voltage, so it is correct to reduce it and input it to Monoprice THX!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is normal. As far as I know, the input of Monoprice THX is ADC, and it cannot accept 100% of the M400 input voltage, so it is correct to reduce it and input it to Monoprice THX!
Maybe he's using the Monoprice 887?

BAMCIS

For driving an amplifier directly, the M400 as one big advantage over the D90: Volume control. The D90 is way too fast, so fast that you can only increase in very quick taps or it will run away and scare you to death if you forget and hold the volume button more than a quarter second. Even quick taps are 3 to 4 db jumps each time. Nobody seems to mention this issue for some reason but it really stood out to me. If a guest were to try and increase the volume before you could stop them, damage to ears, speakers and maybe amps could occur when it jumps up to 4 volts

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
For driving an amplifier directly, the M400 as one big advantage over the D90: Volume control. The D90 is way too fast, so fast that you can only increase in very quick taps or it will run away and scare you to death if you forget and hold the volume button more than a quarter second. Even quick taps are 3 to 4 db jumps each time. Nobody seems to mention this issue for some reason but it really stood out to me. If a guest were to try and increase the volume before you could stop them, damage to ears, speakers and maybe amps could occur when it jumps up to 4 volts
Zeo from z reviews mentioned it.

BAMCIS

Just curious, at the time it was reviewed the Schiit Modius placed above the Benchmark DAC 3 on the SINAD graph (which is a huge accomplishment considering it's one-tenth the DAC 3's price) but now the Modius is removed. A few other DACs that were in the top 20 and are still available no longer appear either

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just curious, at the time it was reviewed the Schiit Modius placed above the Benchmark DAC 3 on the SINAD graph (which is a huge accomplishment considering it's one-tenth the DAC 3's price) but now the Modius is removed. A few other DACs that were in the top 20 and are still available no longer appear either
I usually just check on the latest DAC reviewed for SINAD ranking chart.

BAMCIS

Zeo from z reviews mentioned it.
I love Z but I'd say we easily have two dozen people here with galaxies more knowledge and experience. In fact, no other place I've seen compares to ASR. How cool would it be to see even basic video reviews from Amir and a few other guys here but Amir is already a reviewing machine and those things eat up time and resources. Maybe most people use the D90 in DAC mode so it's not an issue

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I love Z but I'd say we easily have two dozen people here with galaxies more knowledge and experience. In fact, no other place I've seen compares to ASR. How cool would it be to see even basic video reviews from Amir and a few other guys here but Amir is already a reviewing machine and those things eat up time and resources. Maybe most people use the D90 in DAC mode so it's not an issue
I watch Zeo for user experience feedback.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think that you are are exaggerating quite a bit.
While using the IR's volume D90 in pre mode is super fast, you can adjust it in 0,5db steps very easily.
I have no issue with that and another advantage is that the db level font is slightly bigger so that you can see it well from 3 - 4m away without an issue.

Sorry, but that's my experience.

PS- I do not like Zeos and his reviews. I prefer Sandu way over. Maybe a question of style and taste ....

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The D90 front buttons for volume are easy to get used to, but at first - I think most people, me included - would press the button and hold it, how clumsy of us. ;)

The D90 front buttons need to be tapped, or tapped and briefly held. After a few days of use I could nail 6dB, 9dB, 12dB, 15db either right on the dot or 0.5dB off. Then just one "click" of the front button and I get 0.5dB at a time.

After the first press and hold I got over it quickly and was fortunate to not have any mishap's. Good thing I use headphones and not speakers...

Last edited:

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Hi
new member, I was wondering if I am missing it, but I can’t find SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC on your new master list
or when I sort by brand. Sorry about the big font.

bahamot

I always just grab my remote for D90 volume adjustment.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning

BAMCIS

I'll gamble and say neither of those guys are Amir, maybe they're members here? Without any context I'm guessing that's the reason for this response. In the sub-Bezos world it's Tekton and then everything else, just my 2 cents. I do like my Studio 590's, they have to be the best bargain on the planet for full-range speakers. They are not billed as full-range but they are very strong down to the mid 20's and that's amazing for $1,100 a pair. I would have never thought eight inch woofers could do what they do

Top Bottom