• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M200 output level too high and overloading speakers when using optical input

ahmedmo1

Hi there,

Having a bit of an issue with my SMSL M200 DAC. My setup is as follows;

Works well: PC --(USB)--> SMSL M200---(XLR)---> EVE SC208 studio monitors
Output level from DAC too high: LG CX OLED TV---(Optical cable)-->SMSL M200---(XLR)---> EVE SC208 studio monitors

When I run the USB input from my PC to the SMSL M200, I have no issues. But when I output from an LG CX OLED optical out to the SMSL M200, then to the speakers, I get the blinking light notification from the speakers that the input signal is too high and is overloading the input.

How can I resolve this??? Would really appreciate your help!

Turn down the volume of the SMSL M200.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there,

Having a bit of an issue with my SMSL M200 DAC. My setup is as follows;

Works well: PC --(USB)--> SMSL M200---(XLR)---> EVE SC208 studio monitors
Output level from DAC too high: LG CX OLED TV---(Optical cable)-->SMSL M200---(XLR)---> EVE SC208 studio monitors

When I run the USB input from my PC to the SMSL M200, I have no issues. But when I output from an LG CX OLED optical out to the SMSL M200, then to the speakers, I get the blinking light notification from the speakers that the input signal is too high and is overloading the input.

How can I resolve this??? Would really appreciate your help!

See @777 response for the obvious answer. But Im guessing when you run from PC , you are using some volume adjustments at the software end ? I would imagine not when coming out of the TV optical (is there a volume adjustment setting for optical on the TV just out of interest)

revbass

Jesus Christ... I had the volume control turned off. This question will remain as a monument to my momentary stupidity.

Thanks sir.
This is a dumb question... but how did you enable volume control? I can't change my volume with the remote, so I'm guessing I have to enable volume control too. Can't find the setting anywhere though. Manual doesn't clarify things either.

Edit: Found it. You have to change the Pr0 setting to Pr1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom