• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M100 mark II problems

Curse of Milhaven

Been having.some problems with a SMSL M100 Mark II (second unit I've tried) any thoughts would be appreciated.

Despite being advertised as usable with OTG, and connecting a separate power supply to aux as instructed in manual, resolutely cannot get it to work with my Motorola G8. Second unit failure in this regard.

More concerning for me, when using It connected via USB to my laptop, into my home made valve (tube) amp, Stax Gamma electrostatic Headphones - no descernable noise. Connected to Musical Fidelity X Cans headphone amp, same phono cabling, AKG Y50s headphones high pitched whistle and a regular clicking sound. Now if I hold my finger across outside of both phono plugs metal collars and the outside of metal collar of the SPDIF coaxial input the noise goes almost completely. Why?

I'm very puzzled - never had a piece of equipment this problematic. I really like the sound quality and I got it for just over £60 but but can't use it like this. Any ideas or should I just return and look for alternative?

Top Bottom