• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL introduces the $80 MQA capable SU-1 32/768 DAC

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

now there's a cost to being only $80

i think there's no remote so you gotta get off your ass to change inputs... also no volume at all so its a full range source (use your int. amp vol knob!)

there's also only one combined rocker on/off and source switch

also no display so you cant tell what the input rate is

i'd also imagine there's no psu included

if you think this is kind of poor you can pay $110 for the SMSL C100 which has a remote and display

but interesting to me to see where they do these costs savings

also its funny to me how they are still pushing MQA even though its on its way out but its clear its baked into the AKM4490 set or its support processors?

Music1969

Major Contributor
now there's a cost to being only $80

i think there's no remote so you gotta get off your ass to change inputs...
Product page actually says remote

1681207190964.jpeg

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
youre right

BOM:

What's Included

• SMSL SU-1 MQA Audio DAC
  • Remote control
  • Power adapter
  • USB cable
  • User manual

so they do include a lot for $80

Music1969

Major Contributor
SMSL D-6 has dual AK4493S with better performance and balanced outputs (TRS) , for a little more $

Better value IMHO

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Let's keep it about the device, and not the current issue with MQA please.

We've already closed two threads, and don't want this one polluted because it happens to mention MQA.

Thank you!

Zek

Major Contributor
Something is wrong here - it can't have a power adapter when it doesn't have a DC power input.
Apparently the DAC is powered via the USB input.
Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 23.03.45.png

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah this one thing that puzzles me operationally

you can power it off a phone charger but then you cant run it off a pc thru type c

you can power it off a laptop or some other digital input device but then it has to be permanently there to provide power

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I'm sorry but its hard to ignore that "'"format""" when theres a whole section about it on the product page.

I know the AK4493 performed very well, so I imagine the AK4493S chip will perform even better here.

Deserves a screen, even if its dual digits.
SMSL D-6 has dual AK4493S with better performance and balanced outputs (TRS) , for a little more $

Better value IMHO
Of course the D-6 performs better when its double the price of this. Double chip, Double price.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Might need some black tape though... ;)

Are you crazy, do you want to get this thread locked?! :D

I can’t for the heck of me find the SU-1 on SMSL’s website. It’s smsl-audio.com, right? I wanted to check out the power adapter, but it looks like I have to wait…

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
yeah this one thing that puzzles me operationally

you can power it off a phone charger but then you cant run it off a pc thru type c

you can power it off a laptop or some other digital input device but then it has to be permanently there to provide power

I believe one would only power it via a USB charger when using the coax or optical input. Otherwise, it's like any USB DAC that doesn't require a separate power supply because it's bus powered.

I'd think most folks using a cheap DAC would almost always just use it with only one source...am I wrong?

JSmith

Master Contributor
I can’t for the heck of me find the SU-1 on SMSL’s website. It’s smsl-audio.com, right?
Yep... strangely it's not on their own site yet, but is on Shenzhen Audio, Apos, HiFiGo etc.

Looks the goods too if only unbalanced is needed;

1681264929405.png

Looks like USB power;

1681265026461.png

• Power consumption: <5W

JSmith

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Small, unobtrusive (no bright display), single cable for power and data and cheaper than a Topping D10s – this might just be the way of adding subwoofers to a DLBC setup.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Yep... strangely it's not on their own site yet,

Perhaps they’re still revising the marketing message wrt to MQA…

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Of course the D-6 performs better when its double the price of this. Double chip, Double price.
Double chip and higher price does not always equal better performance and value... if one has been around this site long enough, one knows this.

Anyway to repeat what I already wrote, pay a little bit more money and get D-6 with balanced output. Unless you can only use single ended then this DAC is good enough

morillon

Major Contributor
same type of dac but more "dressed"?

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this device was only released a few days ago and there's the site press release and a page to buy off shenzen or apos etc but not actual product page as yet

my feeling about this device is that YES it is cheap and represents a new point of entry, YES undoubtedlty it will perform amazingly well, we have come to this expectaton from smsl and their likes... but does $80 matter to you?

does $160 matter to you? then maybe perhaps buy something with more features that suits your needs

to me i would love say a single line of red LEDS that maybe signfies "lower < 32 44 48 96 192 > higher" bitrate? no? but then you may as well put in a LCD screen? and then we're at the $110 C100!

also where is the remote sensor? perhaps behind an IR transparent power button???

as i like to say, I am always fascinated by products that are 'cost reduced' to perform a function for less... of course i love ridiculousness like McIntosh amps and Gryphon excess but there's a lot of science and engineering to make an $80 dac... and can we eventually do this for $40 maybe?

its easy to make a performant $1,000 dac... can you do for $50?

Cheeyuan777

this device was only released a few days ago and there's the site press release and a page to buy off shenzen or apos etc but not actual product page as yet

my feeling about this device is that YES it is cheap and represents a new point of entry, YES undoubtedlty it will perform amazingly well, we have come to this expectaton from smsl and their likes... but does $80 matter to you?

does $160 matter to you? then maybe perhaps buy something with more features that suits your needs

to me i would love say a single line of red LEDS that maybe signfies "lower < 32 44 48 96 192 > higher" bitrate? no? but then you may as well put in a LCD screen? and then we're at the $110 C100!

also where is the remote sensor? perhaps behind an IR transparent power button???

as i like to say, I am always fascinated by products that are 'cost reduced' to perform a function for less... of course i love ridiculousness like McIntosh amps and Gryphon excess but there's a lot of science and engineering to make an $80 dac... and can we eventually do this for $40 maybe?

its easy to make a performant $1,000 dac... can you do for $50?

Top Bottom