• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

SMSL HO200 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 109 48.9%
  • Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 92 41.3%

• Total voters

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I did. So far I like it and think I’ll keep it. Sound quality-wise, it isn’t a big upgrade from the Symphony Desktop I was using but it does have ridiculous amounts of power in comparison. Does anyone actually NEED the high-gain setting? I drive my AEON 2s at mid-gain comfortably at 11 o’clock on mid-gain.

I’m actually using the pre-amp function more and it works incredibly well there too.
I got one too. Mid-gain, at 11 o'clock, it is good volume for my K371. For my HD560s, a nice volume for me is at about 12 to 1 o'clock, mid-gain.

I plan to use it mostly as preamp too. Will see how it works in my stereo setup.

Diable

Another "upgrade" from my SMSL SP200 where I highly doubt I could tell any difference.
I agree but Zeos and his ilk have convinced the sheep that the once amazing thing he sold them on last year is now boring and obsolete and must be replaced with this years hotness. The one benefit of these sheep's stupidity is there's lots of lighty used amps and dac's on the second hand market for those of us with patience to buy on the cheap.

avoidwork

Forum Donor
I agree but Zeos and his ilk have convinced the sheep that the once amazing thing he sold them on last year is now boring and obsolete and must be replaced with this years hotness. The one benefit of these sheep's stupidity is there's lots of lighty used amps and dac's on the second hand market for those of us with patience to buy on the cheap.
Hi, stupid sheep here; I don't think I bought this months before reviews of it came out because a shill on youtube told me to. It might be a crazy fact, but did you know things sound different? Kinda like how foods can taste different.

Diable

Hi, stupid sheep here; I don't think I bought this months before reviews of it came out because a shill on youtube told me to. It might be a crazy fact, but did you know things sound different? Kinda like how foods can taste different.
If you came to the decision to buy this amp on your own then your not a sheep nor one of the guys I was referring to. I was talking about the guys who are posting about replacing their Drop 789 or SP200 with this amp or the Rebel Amp because the sound of their old THX amp went from amazing to boring in a years time. Or the guys posting about how amazing class A amps are but can't tell you what makes a class A amp great.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All IPAs taste the same right? :D

Exactly! To me, music we listen is that heavenly IPA (lager, stout, Belgian…), in all its beautiful diversity. While an amplifier and DAC are merely a pint that holds and delivers it (has to be clean and spacious, but that’s about it.) :)

Sengin

Was the weird 11.6Hz shutoff protection thing updated/fixed? I'm considering one of these, but right now the Topping A90 is only 50 bucks more and doesn't have that problem (or any problem at all, really).

Adaboy4z

I received the unit a week ago ordered it before reading the review. Its my first dedicated HPA. Its connected balanced to the SMSL D0200 dac. I listen through HiFiMan 400se planars, KZ S10 Pro and Fii0 JH3 IEM. The sound is pleasing to my ears with plenty of power. I don't hear any hiss using the IEMs. On high gain it's at 9 o'clock with the 400se. I'm using the XLR preout to the A0200. When trying to Volume match I caused it to go into protect the light flashed red to blue a few times. Switching to medium gain all was good. I enjoy the ease of flipping the toggles to change sources and gain. I just wished the remote for the A0200 controlled the HPA volume as it has A, B,C buttons.

Question? Since I have the A0200 amp, D0200 Dac and H0200 should the Dac volume stay fixed when all three are connected? Also when I'm using the preout on the H0200 to the A0200 should I max out the volume on the H0200 and adjust the A0200 volume for listening sessions. Hope I made sense.

Top Bottom