• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DP5 - New Streamer / DAC / Headamp combo unit

Destination: Moon

just got the SMSL DP5, stream ROON Tidal over airplay and Mconnect app over DLNA to play Tidal MQA, very good sound
Chris, how do you like the player?? I am thinking of buying one today as its seemingly the only player I can find that will accept on board music storage and is remote controllable with Hiby Link - which works great with my Hiby DAP

Those are price levels never seen before even with premium names like Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. Amazing how this chifi evolves!!!!

Do any of those have a player that will store music on board, and have an app that will let you see and control your music in real time from your listening position with a phone or tablet?? If so, would love to hear about it before I pull the trigger! All the ones i see run by apps other than hibby have a really bad rating on the google playstore and some have less than a few hundred users. Neither of which inspires confidence.

Nango

Major Contributor
I wasn't talking about this specific feature you request but those premium names had always another different new features when they launched their items and I never seen such levels for these new gear in the retail mkt.

Nango

Major Contributor
Do any of those have a player that will store music on board, and have an app that will let you see and control your music in real time from your listening position with a phone or tablet?? If so, would love to hear about it before I pull the trigger! All the ones i see run by apps other than hibby have a really bad rating on the google playstore and some have less than a few hundred users. Neither of which inspires confidence.
Look for Volumio Primo. This and the Volumio is nothing but a raspi board and all the accessories around. $575 ???? Crazy.

I wasn't talking about this specific feature you request but those premium names had always another different new features when they launched their items and I never seen such levels for these new gear in the retail mkt.
Its a small space when you look at all the units out there that offer easy onboard storage and detailed remote control via a reliable app. Maybe there are more coming but short of a battery driven DAP I dont see a lot of units with these capabilities.... I just bought one so we'll see!

Look for Volumio Primo. This and the Volumio is nothing but a raspi board and all the accessories around. $575 ???? Crazy.

Thanks for your comments and help.

I did a little digging and while the RasPi looks interesting - there are a lot of posts about it kind of being a hobbyists device that needs a new level of knowledge thats not compatible with my half baked knowledge of PCs. Also, the Play Store reviews of the Volumio App are pretty bad. Since that is my key interface with the device, that makes me shy away. The Hiby App works great with my Hiby DAP - hopefully its implemented the same way here

Top Bottom