• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DP5 Music Streamer and DAC Review

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dp5 has some problems outofbox definitely. Fortunatly many can be fixed by enthusiast efforts. Theoreticaly Dp5 produce better sound because of better DAC. Although this is questinable. I dont insist on that. DP5 good suits to technical folks because of many opportunities to dig deeper into it. DP5 not suitable for fans of all ready-made products like believers of the Apple ecosystem gods.
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I'd be curious to ask several questions as you seem to know that product quite well and answer are sometimes a little short to find :-(

1°) Can the DP-5 be used as a fully compatible UPnP renderer ?
In other words, can I use any third party app (Bubble, Symfonium, mConnect, mediaMonkey, HiFi-Cast...) to stream to the DP5 over my network ?

2°) Is it possible to use the DP-5 as a DLNA media server ?
In other words, in those apps that can retrieve music from a network media server, can I plug a USB Stick into the DP-5 and retrieve my music from that one using any third party software (like Bubble UPnP ; mConnect, UAPP...) ?

3°) About the headphone amplifier
I asked already but answer was it is quite weak and not really usable with a low efficicency headphone.
Can you confirm and if so, is there a way to improve the headphone output or use the RCA Line outto drive headphones with an adapter ?

4°) About the display
Will it display useful info : Artist/track/Duration and maybe cover art ?

5°) About EQ
Is it possible to get syustemwide PEQ with the DP-5 ?

That are things that would be of really great interest to me in my quest for the "affordable" all-in-one product...
So far, those devices are only the

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since the R7 is indeed interesting, I wanted to ask:
Are you happy with the start up time, I mean does it boot quickly?
Are you happy with the FiiO APP to scroll through the music remotely?
Does it work with WiFi switched off?
Hi,
I do not own the R7 anymore, because I sold it to get money to buy the R9 :)
Start-up time is about 40 seconds I'd say...
It is not as fast as the Shanling EH-3 which boots in seconds.

The Fiio App is not stellar.
BUT : the good thing is, as it isAndroid powered, you can use ANY third-party app that you like.
To stream files from a DLNA media server, I like Symfonium the best.
But it recognizes only some media server (Emby, Plex.Jelly...)
So another option is Bubble UPnP and/or mConnect.

Yes, it works with Wi-Fi switched off...

Here is how I used it.

I put my music on 2 USB Sticks : ione for classical music (512GB) and a second one for more "contemporanean" music (1TB USB SSD drive) both connected to a USB 3.0 Hub.
That is recongnized flawlessly by the R7...

I then launch UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) and scan music on both USB stick and enable that as UPnP Renderer.

I then start my favorite app on my Android smartphone (mConnec/BubbleUPnp/UAPP) and say I want to use UAPP on the R7 as a media server and would like to play to UAPP on the R7 as a renderer.

Works flawlessly, wired and/or wirelessly.

That is the main thing that does not work superbly well on the Shanling EH-3.
To get EQ to fit your headphones, you need to trick it as it does not offer that AT ALL.
And it can be used only wirelessly... and sometimes, connection is all jerky :-(

But Shanling has a sound I like to listen to... So I even got me a headphone that fits my ears with no EQ :cool: (That would be the Austrian Audio Hi-X 60).

twiningstea

1°) Can the DP-5 be used as a fully compatible UPnP renderer ?
In other words, can I use any third party app (Bubble, Symfonium, mConnect, mediaMonkey, HiFi-Cast...) to stream to the DP5 over my network ?

and
Yes
I tested it with iriver, twonkey, android mconnect bubbleUPnP
It works well
But there is no roon client inside DP5

Mentioned in SMSL DP5 FAQ https://4pda-to.translate.goog/foru...tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp#entry4581013

2°) Is it possible to use the DP-5 as a DLNA media server ?
In other words, in those apps that can retrieve music from a network media server, can I plug a USB Stick into the DP-5 and retrieve my music from that one using any third party software (like Bubble UPnP ; mConnect, UAPP...) ?

I think no
Afaik dp5 noes not have DNLA server daemon
Also it has too little system resources (cpu and ram) to install one

3°) About the headphone amplifier
I asked already but answer was it is quite weak and not really usable with a low efficicency headphone.
Can you confirm and if so, is there a way to improve the headphone output or use the RCA Line outto drive headphones with an adapter ?

I do not us it this way
But from my short tests i have got impression that headphones amp not the worst and the best one. Just moderate

4°) About the display
Will it display useful info : Artist/track/Duration and maybe cover art ?

All of that
But main dp5 use scenario does not require dp5 screen and buttons
All wonderfuly controlled from Android application HiByMusic including folder navigation, search, start/stop, volume level, "Artist/track/Duration and maybe cover art"
I use remote only to turn device on/off
I never touch dp5 by hand. All perfectly controlled by Android application HiByMusic
But there is no HiByMusic app for Apple phones

5°) About EQ
Is it possible to get syustemwide PEQ with the DP-5 ?

Honestly i do not know or need it. I play via XLR cables directly to power amp RB-1552 MkII and then to Diatone DS-2000 speakers. I control volume level on DP5 and do not need any eqalization. You should better download manual from SMSL sitte and look if any. I do not remember.

Last edited:
Top Bottom