• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Rate this stereo DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 168 72.4%

• Total voters

androidbrick

Reviewer
I imagine it is either feature of the ESS DAC chip used or is kludged somehow to go into that mode. Someone less lazy than me needs to dig into the datasheet assuming it is public. :)
It's a feature of the new 9039 series, yes you are right.

C. Cook

These DACs may knock it out of the park on tests, but from what I gather people shouldn't expect too much in terms of customer or warranty service.

Steamrolly

These DACs may knock it out of the park on tests, but from what I gather people shouldn't expect too much in terms of customer or warranty service.
I have not tried to deal directly with SMSL however my experience with Aoshida Audio has been entirely positive.

C. Cook

Have not tried to deal directly with SMSL however my experience with Aoshida Audio has been entirely positive.
It's nowhere near as bad as Apos. I think if you buy SMSL from Shenzen or Aoshida you'll be fine. There's a thread here about Apos. I hope they've fixed their issues, but from everything I've seen (and indirectly experienced) it was real bad for a while.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's nowhere near as bad as Apos. I think if you buy SMSL from Shenzen or Aoshida you'll be fine. There's a thread here about Apos. I hope they've fixed their issues, but from everything I've seen (and indirectly experienced) it was real bad for a while.
I've never had issues with Apos, but haven't needed significant warranty/replacement work from them...yet.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
While it looks good I am not sure what the purpose of it is... I would like to see some DAC's with DSP and other such stuff. I don't really care about more top SINAD figures when those can be had on much cheaper products... what is the purpose of this product? It doesn't sound different to anything else released in the last 2 years from any of these companies...
Things like DSP would actually make sense as a next step. Other things like eARC (since they are using HDMI for i2S which is basically a dead interface anyway) would be more useful for TV's and such...
Support for Dolby Atmos? Just thinking off the top of my head here...

JktHifi

While it looks good I am not sure what the purpose of it is... I would like to see some DAC's with DSP and other such stuff. I don't really care about more top SINAD figures when those can be had on much cheaper products... what is the purpose of this product? It doesn't sound different to anything else released in the last 2 years from any of these companies...
Things like DSP would actually make sense as a next step. Other things like eARC (since they are using HDMI for i2S which is basically a dead interface anyway) would be more useful for TV's and such...
SU-10
Line output amplitude RCA 2.6Vrms

DO300
Line output amplitude RCA 2.5Vrms

M500 MKIII
Line output amplitude RCA 2Vrms

androidbrick

Reviewer
Or support for some let's say 10 band EQ, right? It would be very useful.

Lsc

I just got it delivered today and it’s being used as a DAC for the Bluesound Node. Using the 5V….I think I finally found the one for at least a couple of years. Returned the su-9 pro.

JktHifi

I just got it delivered today and it’s being used as a DAC for the Bluesound Node. Using the 5V….I think I finally found the one for at least a couple of years. Returned the su-9 pro.
How is the DO300 compared to SU-9 pro? What did you find?

seacard

I can't imagine there is a sound difference between these two. Even SMSL doesn't suggest there is a performance difference between these two with all the specs and components basically identical. The DO300 does add a couple inputs so that might be a good reason to choose it, all other things being equal.

JktHifi

I can't imagine there is a sound difference between these two. Even SMSL doesn't suggest there is a performance difference between these two with all the specs and components basically identical. The DO300 does add a couple inputs so that might be a good reason to choose it, all other things being equal.
Probably because both are using 11 op amps while the SU-10 is using 21.

Lsc

How is the DO300 compared to SU-9 pro? What did you find?
I mainly got the DO300 for the 2 additional inputs for minimal cost just in case I need them in the future.

Sound wise, they sound pretty much the same. I tried to get my wife to give me her opinion if the DO300 for whatever reason results in a little more bass but she wasn’t in any mood to be my tester tonight so it’s inconclusive lol. I already boxed up the su-9 pro so it’s all good. It’s not important.

Btw I use the 5.2v output (+2,0 dB), linear fast and standard for sound color. I’m kind of late to the party but it’s crazy how a $500 DAC can be so good. The su-9 pro was very competitive compared to my buddy’s Denafrips terminator. If it lasts me 3-4 years, I’ll be ecstatic.

If I use this DAC to play an Edifier S360DB set (active), does the volume control (preamp) disable the DAC or does it still work? I currently use a Topping D10S. Thanks!

Last edited:

hyfynut

This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL DO300 balanced stereo USB DAC with Bluetooth. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $549 although I see it on sale for $490.
View attachment 278725
The DO300 naturally follows the design language of other recent SMSL products. I like the colorful display and largish displayed volume level. Back panel doesn't provide any surprises:
View attachment 278726
A minor nit: I like to see color codec RCA jacks with red indicating right channel. Looking from above, it is hard to know which channel is which. I like to see trigger support to sequence powering on downstream products as well.

SMSL DO300 DAC Measurements
As usual, let's start with our usual dashboard and XLR Output with volume set to default 0 dB (it goes up to 2 dB):
View attachment 278727
You would think I would get used to such high SINAD (sum of noise and distortion) in products from SMSL but I still get a pleasant surprise when I see numbers north of 123 dB! This naturally lands in our (rather silly) top 20 best DACs ever tested rankings:
View attachment 278728

RCA output shows the typical reduction in SINAD but still fully transparent:
View attachment 278729

Volume control is dead on accurate so -30 dB is indeed, that level in output. Using that, I measured the effect of volume control on output SINAD:
View attachment 278734
The glitches are instrumentation issues. Response naturally scales with output voltage.

IMD test shows no sign of "hump" despite use of ESS DAC:
View attachment 278730

Multitone performance is exceptional of course:
View attachment 278731

As is noise performance:
View attachment 278732

Linearity is perfect as we would expect:
View attachment 278733

Jitter is perfect over USB and essentially the same over Toslink:
View attachment 278735

We have our usual suite of filters including "off:"
View attachment 278736
View attachment 278737

I would personally use Fast Linear and be done with it. Note that "off" causes a large rise in output level so be careful when comparing that to other settings:
View attachment 278738

It also has that screwed up frequency response so best left unused.

The excellent filter response translates to superb THD+N versus frequency:
View attachment 278739

Conclusions
What can I say other than the DO300 being extremely well executed as we expect from SMSL. Yes, company produces many such DACs. It is not my job to sort through them. It is yours! :)

I am happy to put SMSL DO300 DAC on my recommended list.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Sure would be cool to get a review of the SMSL DA-9......

Yajumanu

Hello,
First of all, thank you all for your comments, we learn a lot.
I finally bought this DAC and I'm very happy.
What I don't understand is why they put outputs like the I2S that have very little use, why don't they put a normal HDMI?
For example, I have an OPPO 203 and I cannot use the Oppo's audio-only HDMI output to connect it via HDMI to the I2S. do you know how to do it?
For the inexperienced like me, you could put your set up. I have it connected by coaxial from OPPO to the DAC and from the DAC to the Amplifier by XLR, is it better to leave the volume at 0.0 or -2.0?
and color filters, dsd, etc??
Thanks again everyone for the help.
Great job Amirm.

Top Bottom