• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Rate this stereo DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 168 72.4%

• Total voters

Tks

Major Contributor
The fidelity is exceptional, seems in all performance metrics it's basically at the top (heck it also has bang-on clock, where sometimes these good measuring devices sometimes clock in at 0.9999999Hz), or a botched IMD (where you get weird performance spikes on TOSLINK), or THD Ratio VS FR plot it starts rising by the end for some reason.

So yeah, great fidelty. The only problem, it's a DAC for over $500, with an uninspired look (that unsightly volume knob). This would be great in DACAMP form (think Topping DX7 Pro, and cool products of that sort in a similar price range from a few years ago).

Trell

Major Contributor
Perhaps you missed posts 13, 14, 22, 23, 28, 29, 33, 34, 41, 42, 44, etc... Where people ask the utility of this device compared to the other sonically and feature identical devices. Their questions are directed at the device under review. Your comments are directed at the members, and you didn't seem to even read their comments.:mad: Your post is offensive, especially since you didn't read.:facepalm:

He's very time constrained and has to prioritize posting comments vs reading. :D

Reactions: MAB

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
is there a cheaper dac with this suite of interconnects though? xlr i/o and hdmi?

Burns

Perhaps you missed posts 13, 14, 22, 23, 28, 29, 33, 34, 41, 42, 44, etc... Where people ask the utility of this device compared to the other sonically and feature identical devices. Their questions are directed at the device under review. Your comments are directed at the members, and you didn't seem to even read their comments.:mad: Your post is offensive, especially since you didn't read.:facepalm:
How do you know what I've read? Similar entries are in the su9pro and 400 models. For me, I emphasize like for me = recommendation. Giving recommendations based on pictures can be confusing. Maybe you like that kind of fun. When I see 140 photos of converters, I will believe that the recommendation is sincere. May you never buy anything yourself thanks to a recommendation made by a person who does not have such a device in his hands.

Entries you listed by number - people thought instead of clicking on the survey. Likes are undoubtedly due to @amirm for the time and work done!

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
How do you know what I've read? Similar entries are in the su9pro and 400 models. For me, I emphasize like for me = recommendation. Giving recommendations based on pictures can be confusing. Maybe you like that kind of fun. When I see 140 photos of converters, I will believe that the recommendation is sincere. May you never buy anything yourself thanks to a recommendation made by a person who does not have such a device in his hands.

I've the same impression from reading your posts that you're not doing much reading before posting, or perhaps there is a reading comprehension issue?

Assuming that a "like for me = recommendation" is a misunderstanding on your part. We don't know your needs so how can we give a recommendation that a device is fit for your purpose? You've to do some thinking on your own and evaluate any recommendation if it's reliable and relevant for what you need and want, and very much so for any "like".

Last edited:

Burns

I've the same impression from reading your posts that you're not doing much reading before posting, or perhaps there is a reading comprehension issue?

Assuming that a "like for me = recommendation" is a misunderstanding on your part. We don't know your needs so how can we give a recommendation that a device is fit for your purpose? You've to do some thinking on your own and evaluate any recommendation if it's reliable and relevant for what you need and want, and very much so for any "like".
look at the official smsl website and try to answer yourself if it's me who has a problem or a company duplicating similar converters only in a changed housing. Topping at least changes the screen, can add a trigger, power management etc...
EOT.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
look at the official smsl website and try to answer yourself if it's me who has a problem or a company duplicating similar converters only in a changed housing. Topping at least changes the screen, can add a trigger, energy management etc...
Now you’re deflecting.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor

Yeah, apparently not reading. Looks like some people like the DAC, some people see it as an imperceptibly different from the rest of the DAC herd, plus the usual range of observations and opinions... so if you only read polls, then I see how you might think that everybody is a sheep.:facepalm:

Steamrolly

With respect to the number of similar DACs produced by SMSL please keep in mind that the AO100, AO200, DO100, DO200 and DO300 (amongst others) are specifically commissioned by Aoshida Audio to be made by SMSL. Hence you have a the DO300 being extremely close to the SMSL SU-9 Pro but with additional inputs and possibly different internal components but in the same case as other Aoshida Audio SMSL products (AO200, DO200).

Jochen

You're a new commenter so I'm not 100% sure this is a facetious comment but I choose to believe it is a facetious comment and gave it a like.
I am damn serious, no audio device could be considered transparent below 300dB, at least this is what my private listening tests do reveal, which are, alas, to stressful to do blind or in public to convince everybody. But I know that it is true!

Trell

Major Contributor
I am damn serious, no audio device could be considered transparent below 300dB, at least this is what my private listening tests do reveal, which are, alas, to stressful to do blind or in public to convince everybody. But I know that it is true!
Are you sarcastic? Just trying to give you the benefits of doubt.

Jochen

Are you sarcastic? Just trying to give you the benefits of doubt.
“Sarcasm will get you nowhere in life.” my boss told me.
“Well it got me to the ‘International Sarcasm’ finals in Santiago, Chile in 2009.” I informed him.
“Really?” he asked.
“No.” I said.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another pointless DAC with super high SINAD. I’m not seeing any innovation in these new DAC’s and it’s becoming pretty lame to see them coming out yearly.
Yearly? How about every 3 months or so?

Top Bottom