• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 64 26.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 155 63.8%

• Total voters

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Why do people read a review of a DAC , knowing going in it is a review of a DAC then complain when it is not a DSP? This is what does not make sense to me.
If you want the features of a DSP, buy a DSP.

Well, because there are more than enough "perfect" DACs, which are only differentiated by the size of display, and whether there is BT, 12v trigger or not, RCA or XLR output. Already having two usb inputs or two optical ones would be a welcome change, that would be useful to many users. A FIR capable DSP is still a mostly unknown feature.

radeon

I'm finding that my DO200 MKII is a bit too loud, compared to every other source in my system. So I'm having to turn it to -6.0dB in order to match. Is there any way I can turn the gain down somehow? Or is it ok to just use it as-is with -6.0dB setting?

I'm going balanced out from the DO200 MKII, and every other source that I'm comparing to is also using balanced.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I'm finding that my DO200 MKII is a bit too loud, compared to every other source in my system. So I'm having to turn it to -6.0dB in order to match. Is there any way I can turn the gain down somehow? Or is it ok to just use it as-is with -6.0dB setting?

I'm going balanced out from the DO200 MKII, and every other source that I'm comparing to is also using balanced.

I am using my D90 (first series, no MQA) at between -26 and -10 Db depending not the music. Never thought I was missing something.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, because there are more than enough "perfect" DACs, which are only differentiated by the size of display, and whether there is BT, 12v trigger or not, RCA or XLR output. Already having two usb inputs or two optical ones would be a welcome change, that would be useful to many users. A FIR capable DSP is still a mostly unknown feature.
I think you misunderstand my point.
My point is why are these comments being made on a review of a product you know in advance does not have such features. It is like reading a review of a CD player and complaining it cannot play vinyl.
It claims to convert a digital signal to an analogue one. The review proves it does exactly that and does it very, very well at an affordable (relatively) price point.

Joffy1780

Maybe don't read reviews of things you don't want or need or are not interested in?

Joffy1780

And now I need to apologise again to the mods.
Apologies.

radeon

Sorry if we are going a bit offtopic, but what would be a good FIR capable DSP? I'm currently using an Ashly Protea 24.24M but it's over 10 years old now and getting a newer processer with modern DA/AD chips seems like the next logical upgrade. I'm looking at maybe the qsc core 110f, but it seems quite expensive. And which forum would be best to post such a question? Is this considered pro audio, or Room Acoustics?

Joffy1780

Sorry if we are going a bit offtopic, but what would be a good FIR capable DSP? I'm currently using an Ashly Protea 24.24M but it's over 10 years old now and getting a newer processer with modern DA/AD chips seems like the next logical upgrade. I'm looking at maybe the qsc core 110f, but it seems quite expensive. And which forum would be best to post such a question? Is this considered pro audio, or Room Acoustics?
Minidsp Flex?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I think you misunderstand my point.
My point is why are these comments being made on a review of a product you know in advance does not have such features. It is like reading a review of a CD player and complaining it cannot play vinyl.
It claims to convert a digital signal to an analogue one. The review proves it does exactly that and does it very, very well at an affordable (relatively) price point.

Those comments are done because people feel the urge to comment. I have that as well.

This said, many are a bit frustrated that we see dozens of functionally equivalent products whereas a feature like DSP is left out. I could to that for any source with my Raspberry Pi if moOde supported also USB in. So I could also attach, say, a CD player with a SPDIF to USB interface. But it would be simpler if the SAC supported it.

Joffy1780

Those comments are done because people feel the urge to comment. I have that as well.

This said, many are a bit frustrated that we see dozens of functionally equivalent products whereas a feature like DSP is left out. I could to that for any source with my Raspberry Pi if moOde supported also USB in. So I could also attach, say, a CD player with a SPDIF to USB interface. But it would be simpler if the SAC supported it.
Why don't you all create a separate thread, as suggested? Anyway, no matter how many times I say it, you are still missing my point.

Trell

Major Contributor
Why don't you all create a separate thread, as suggested? Anyway, no matter how many times I say it, you are still missing my point.
So why are you then linking to the audio interface from a review thread of a DAC?

Joffy1780

So why are you then linking to the audio interface from a review thread of a DAC?
As that is where you'll find reviews of DSPs on the site

Trell

Major Contributor
As that is where you'll find reviews of DSPs on the site
What? A defining property of devices in that forum is that they have an ADC, but a DAC with DSP fits nicely in the DAC forum.

Take the RME ADI-2 DAC FS that has a headphone amp. It also has extensive DSP so the review should be in the audio interface forum and not the DAC+HP AMP forum according to you?

Joffy1780

Maybe they should have their own forum then. My point is that.......my god this is tiresome. Why are members criticising a product simply for not being a product they don't have need for?
If I read the review of the RME ADI-2 and then complained it didn't have WIFI, or any other feature I know it doesn't have already, but that I want it to have, would you think that was logical?

grogi.giant

Not a criticism of this particular product, but more generally I wonder why in slightly more advanced units like this one, of medium size, they cannot insert double coaxial and optical inputs, it would be infinitely more comfortable for those who have many things to connect , and it seems like a triviality to implement.
For example, only the dx3pro+ topping has dual coaxial inputs, and this was enough to make me buy it

Absolutely - more inputs! More digital inputs are easy to implement, addition of an analogue one or two (although slightly more complicated) will be very welcomed as well.

Loads of amps have only one input and it is a pain to integrate legacy and modern stuff into them.

Joffy1780

Say I design and manufacture a state of the art motorcycle, able to compete with bikes far more expensive, advertise it as a motorcycle and a review finds it performs brilliantly.
Someone reads the review and complains it doesn't have enough wheels and well, what happens when it rains? It could really do with a roof,no?

Trell

Major Contributor
Maybe they should have their own forum then. My point is that.......my god this is tiresome. Why are members criticising a product simply for not being a product they don't have need for?
If I read the review of the RME ADI-2 and then complained it didn't have WIFI, or any other feature I know it doesn't have already, but that I want it to have, would you think that was logical?
Give this topic a rest.

My only reply to you was when you wrote that members wanting to have DACs with DSP should create threads in the audio interface forum, and I thought that was not a good place. That’s all.

Joffy1780

Give this topic a rest.

My only reply to you was when you wrote that members wanting to have DACs with DSP should create threads in the audio interface forum, and I thought that was not a good place. That’s all.
Fair enough.

Interesting, in my case it is marginally quieter than the DAC integrated in my Marantz SACD8005.

Top Bottom