• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 64 26.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 155 63.8%

• Total voters

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dang, y’all really had to get two mods to step in to control ya rowdies. :p:p

Valis

But anyone that claims. they can hear differences between two DACs that measure linearly and are in the 100db+ range -all other things being the same- is completely deluding themselves,

So when youtubers such as Tharbamar refer to the "slightly more refined and a little bit more polite sound signature" of the DO200 MKII's dual ESS9068AS chipset in comparison to the SU-9 Pro's single ES9039MPro, or iiWi who cites the "spatially laid-back" sound of the DO200 MKII's "little bit deeper soundstage" against the M500 MKII featuring a ES9038PRO, which he calls "a little more forward sounding" and "a little bit more 'in your face'", are they delusional true-believers, duplicitous grifters, or simply gifted evaluators?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
are they delusional true-believers, duplicitous grifters, or simply gifted evaluators?
Normally the former two, and the latter one are rare occurrences and normally associated with Measurements that support their impressions. :cool:

Welcome Aboard @Valis !

Volumetrik

I owned an earlier, more expensive SMSL DAC and was bothered by the loose feel of the volume knob. Have they remedied that?
My dad owns one and I have not noticed any ''loose'' feel. It's like a light click feel while turning. I also own the DO100 and it feels very similar. I would not describe them as loose.

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

Please stop complaining why I review the latest DACs. Someone who is in the market for a DAC, will land a DAC like this and search for reviews. You rather them not see a proper review and instead see random blogger video on youtube???

Or do you not want to reward companies who continue to produce excellent products? Without us highlighting their work, they would lose out to non-performant devices at much higher costs. review DO300
Thanks for the review, @amirm ! SMSL also released DO300 which is upgraded version to the one you reviewed here. Just curious about if you have DO300 on your shelf to review. If you can, i would be glad .

holbob

Who in 2023 buys a DAC with less than 121.4 SINAD?
Somebody who wishes the DAC to actually do something more useful to the sound, e.g. control bass peaks, apply crossovers - then just pass the digital signal unaltered into analogue.

Fine, enjoy your defective DACs with golfing panther score.
Sorry, i did not mean your post.

I meant that this is yet another test of a dac we knew would perform well.

I guess we learned that SMSL and Topping have access to AudioAnalyzers and know how to use them....
We can stop testing every model now....

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...are they delusional true-believers, duplicitous grifters, or simply gifted evaluators?
they might also be all 3, those are not mutually exclusive 'qualities'.

The safe bet is on no1 or no2 (usually both). Those guys are not some geniuses but just persons-with-ears. And most are not doing those 'reviews' for you but for the 'free' stuff they get from manufacturers.

Some of them are actually quite ok and seem to take things (more) seriously but I am not aware of any example of no3. That would require proof and AFAIK, noone ever demonstrated that they could reliably A/B two modern DACs

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why do people read a review of a DAC , knowing going in it is a review of a DAC then complain when it is not a DSP? This is what does not make sense to me.
If you want the features of a DSP, buy a DSP.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do people read a review of a DAC , knowing going in it is a review of a DAC then complain when it is not a DSP? This is what does not make sense to me.
If you want the features of a DSP, buy a DSP.
The reason is DACs have remained the same format and function for decades and it's about time to add features to the package.

Joffy1780

Or people complaining about the fact that we are spoiled with numerous fantastically performing offerings from the likes of S.M.S.L. and Topping, among others, at more or less every conceivable price point. What more do people want?
Seems to me people want a bespoke product, for a mass market price?

Joffy1780

The reason is DACs have remained the same format and function for decades and it's about time to add features to the package.
So a DSP then?

Joffy1780

Or an AVR perhaps?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or people complaining about the fact that we are spoiled with numerous fantastically performing offerings from the likes of S.M.S.L. and Topping, among others, at more or less every conceivable price point. What more do people want?
Seems to me people want a bespoke product, for a mass market price?
The best value for the buckeroos is the JDS Labs Atom DAC+ @ USD $109 and the Schiit Heretic @ USD $109.

Joffy1780

But they are marketed as a DAC. Why do you think they will have DSP features? There are companies making those already, just not Topping or S.M.S.L.

Joffy1780

Let’s get back on topic please. If you wish to continue the DAC/DSP/AVR conversation please start a new thread.
Fair enough, my apologies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But they are marketed as a DAC. Why do you think they will have DSP features? There are companies making those already, just not Topping or S.M.S.L.
The DAC has evolved into a integrator of functions and the peoples want that because it fits well into systems. The DAC has become a appliance for the masses. The people want it to become a PEQ and pre-amp with subwoofer output.

Top Bottom