• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 64 26.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 155 63.8%

• Total voters

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It measures great, but as with som many new DACs... it's more of the same. To me, if something has a volume control it should act as a preamp, but in 2023 it should have at the very least a configurable sub out, no?
Sub-out will drop the performance level quite a bit due to having to use a DSP or some other way to get a crossover in there. I have no doubt that can be done well enough, MiniDSP already does it, but its not as simple as just slapping a crossover network in there. If you want a subout just buy a MiniDSP SHD or something.

Eldus

I don't even want a room correction type mini DSP chip. Just a sub crossover maybe with sub time delay. I'll use Equalizer APO and REW on PC for EQ. For those that use a streamer or whatever, MiniDSP does have a corner on that market.

Eldus

Postman,also the multicolor display is cutting points for me,so...
I really like the display on the Topping E50. I suppose it would be custom if it was done the same as the topping. It must be easier to just use a small LCD.

martijn86

I agree about USB-C: USB-B looks ancient now. But why Power Delivery? I thought that only applied to devices with rechargeable batteries.
There would be data and power on one cable. A laptop can be powered by monitor while sending a display signal to the monitor for example. Most laptops have 35~45W power delivery output capabilities. Just having a USB-C port that can do the Power Delivery handshake, opens up a few possibilities for users.

xaxxon

@xaxxon there are! I have a panamax with one
Thanks for the link. $150 is more than I'd want to pay ideally, but at least it's an option. Only 4 ports are trigger controlled, so I guess I can plug in the stuff sending the trigger in the other 4 ports. I don't have more than 4 things that are missing triggers...

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't even want a room correction type mini DSP chip. Just a sub crossover maybe with sub time delay. I'll use Equalizer APO and REW on PC for EQ. For those that use a streamer or whatever, MiniDSP does have a corner on that market.
With the attendent cost though. I don't want to have to use a pc in my chain in the future, I'm fed up of paying for an unwanted room heater.

Eulipian

This device basically offers the same level of objective performance as the C200 - without the integrated headphone amp - but for twice the price. I really don't see the point to this unit unless you really need an AES-EBU input, and I would tend to think that the audio engineers who do would use professional DAC/ADC units from RME and the likes. Not sure who this DO200 is aimed at...

Same thought here. The C200 can be had on the Asohida site for under $200 with free FedEx.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It measures great, but as with so many new DACs... it's more of the same. To me, if something has a volume control it should act as a preamp, but in 2023 it should have at the very least a configurable sub out, no?

Replying to my own message - going forward I'll stop paying attenting to these new Chinese DACs that keep playing the SINAD game waaaaay beyond hearability, yet have *zero* imagination when it comes to additional -and in my opinion mandatory- feature capabilities that make the performance usable and relevant in the real world.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Replying to my own message - going forward I'll stop paying attenting to these new Chinese DACs that keep playing the SINAD game waaaaay beyond hearability, yet have *zero* imagination when it comes to additional -and in my opinion mandatory- feature capabilities that make the performance usable and relevant in the real world.
I’ll be honest with you my E30 is plenty sufficient when it comes to being good at SINAD and being transparent. See absolutely no reason to see new DACs, since majority of the new ones don’t have the functionality or purpose that would make me want to upgrade.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sub-out will drop the performance level quite a bit due to having to use a DSP or some other way to get a crossover in there. I have no doubt that can be done well enough, MiniDSP already does it, but its not as simple as just slapping a crossover network in there. If you want a subout just buy a MiniDSP SHD or something.
Tell that to Kii or the KEF LS60... :) I know it is a completely different value proposition but -personally- I don't believe in this limted-capability box game anymore. Plopping in this box would make zero difference in the overall sound of a real world system.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No balanced AES/EBU digital input in the C200
Does that matter in our consumer audio systems, though? Just relevant on long, long cable distances. I like analog XLR, don't get me wrong (even though I know it's really just relevant with longer dustance, really), but with digital it just takes a $30 interface adapter (prolly much cheaper in places I dont check).

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Isn't the RME $1300 now? If I'm reading correctly the 'matching' amp for the D0200 is the HO200 which is $399 making this stack under $900. Not really in the same price, or as you mention also feature set bracket, but that's what you should get for over $400 more. For right or wrong the $1k limit probably holds sway for many and this being under it puts it in a good price position.
The RME goes on sale a couple times per year for around $950.

Daverz

Major Contributor
With the attendent cost though. I don't want to have to use a pc in my chain in the future, I'm fed up of paying for an unwanted room heater.

Fanless, low power, single board computers have been more than powerful enough to handle all the necessary hardware and software for quite some time now.

Last edited:

Bernard23

Fanless, low power, single board computers have been more than powerful enough for to handle all the necessary hardware and software for quite some time now.
Not in a way that I can easily use it. That was my ask really.

BR52

For me the measurements are not really fit together good sinad, not so good thd/noise, and the out band noise. What’s going on here?

BR52

For me the measurements are not really fit together good sinad, not so good thd/noise, and the out band noise. What’s going on here?
:);)
Edit: Honeypot

Last edited:
Top Bottom