• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 65 26.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 63.7%

• Total voters

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Whiel the performance is good here; I am not sure who this is really for as we have hit peak performance at all price levels. You either are looking to save money and buy low to mid gear with extra features or you are just going for "top end" but the performance is all very similar. Given that this doesn't look to be great as a preamp; what does it really have to offer? I mean while it looks decent, I just don't understand where this market is going.

grogi.giant

Whiel the performance is good here; I am not sure who this is really for as we have hit peak performance at all price levels. You either are looking to save money and buy low to mid gear with extra features or you are just going for "top end" but the performance is all very similar. Given that this doesn't look to be great as a preamp; what does it really have to offer? I mean while it looks decent, I just don't understand where this market is going.

It is here to match look and feel of AO200.

Really, the SMSL lineup could be sooo much simpler if they decided on two form factors: desktop (like da6/su6 etc) and hifi (da8 or da9 or ao200 or a300 - just pick one) and stick to the dimensions, the width at least.

They wouldn't need soo many almost identical products... There are currently 14 DACs with 300-350mm size: VMV D3, VMV D2, VMV D1se, D400 ES, D400 EX, D300, DO200MkII, DO200, SU-10, SU-9Pro, SU-9n, SU-9, SU-8s and M400 listed on SMSL site. And I am skipping the desktop units! This could easily be simplified to three or four models: Flagship ~3000$ (equivalent of VMV D3), Hi-End ~$1000 (SU-10 / D400 level), Hi-Fi ~$500 (SU-9Pro), Budget $200 (DO100 / SU-6 internals).

That would open an easy path for customers to upgrade one component at a time without sacrificing the overall esthetics of the setup. It would also introduce a bit of extra brand loyalty, as only the same brand products will retain the visuals.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor

Really, the SMSL lineup could be sooo much simpler if they decided on two form factors: desktop (like da6/su6 etc) and hifi (da8 or da9 or ao200 or a300 - just pick one) and stick to the dimensions, the width at least.

They wouldn't need soo many almost identical products... There are currently following DAC with 300-350mm size: VMV D3, VMV D2, VMV D1se, D400 ES, D400 EX, D300, DO200MkII, DO200, SU-10, SU-9Pro, SU-9n, SU-9, SU-8s and M400. This could easily be simplified to three or four models: Flagship ~3000$, Hi-End ~$1200, Hi-Fi ~$600 and Budget $400.
The budget, 110-200 USD, at least when it comes to DAC would sound the same as the flagship :O :D

grogi.giant

The budget, 110-200 USD, at least when it comes to DAC would sound the same as the flagship :O :D

I agree. I am looking at it from company point of view and thorough what DACs they already offer in this category.

There are still people who would like the feeling of spending a grand or more - they would get MQA, multiple chips, color displays etc. It would be silly to throw that money away by offering only price/value optimized options.

Last edited:

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning

They wouldn't need soo many almost identical products... There are currently 14 DACs with 300-350mm size: VMV D3, VMV D2, VMV D1se, D400 ES, D400 EX, D300, DO200MkII, DO200, SU-10, SU-9Pro, SU-9n, SU-9, SU-8s and M400 listed on SMSL site. And I am skipping the desktop units! This could easily be simplified to three or four models: Flagship ~3000$ (equivalent of VMV D3), Hi-End ~$1000 (SU-10 / D400 level), Hi-Fi ~$500 (SU-9Pro), Budget $200 (DO100 / SU-6 internals).

That would open an easy path for customers to upgrade one component at a time without sacrificing the overall esthetics of the setup. It would also introduce a bit of extra brand loyalty, as only the same brand products will retain the visuals.
Hm great to see all the marketing experts doing the job for smsl for free

Joffy1780

Hm great to see all the marketing experts doing the job for smsl for free
Exactly what I was thinking.
At present S.M.S.L. have an amazing range of products to suit every budget.
Do people realise that North America and Europe aren't the only markets companies cater to?

grogi.giant

Exactly what I was thinking.
At present S.M.S.L. have an amazing range of products to suit every budget.

They do. They do have a second and a third range as well at the same time. They sell effectively the same product, with same functionality and same price point multiple times.

While it is sometime beneficial when you do it between associated brands in certain industries (exp. automotive) where brand loyalty is very strong and often deterministic of purchase. Same car with different badge for consumers loyal to different brand. When done within one brand, it brings near zero positive value - just complication on many levels. You have to tackle supply chain, manufacturing, support and distribution complications...

Consumer brands that are successful have a clear product lineup, easy to understand. LG has that within its OLED TV range. Apple has it with the iPhones. You only have two Playstations at the certain time (exp. PS4 and PS4 Pro - its easy to understand that the latter is better). Which is better - SU-9n or DO200MkII?!

Too many models only brings confusion.

Do people realise that North America and Europe aren't the only markets companies cater to?

Of course they do. How does the duplication of product take into account Asian or Australian markets? I would understand if some model ranges had different design language, catered for oriental consumers. But they all look the same!

Joffy1780

Which is better - SU-9n or DO200MkII?!

Of course they do. How does the duplication of product take into account Asian or Australian markets? I would understand if some model ranges had different design language, catered for oriental consumers. But they all look the same!
They aren't duplicated products are they though? A quick check shows the DO200MkII decodes MQA, whereas the SU-9n doesn't.
I don't get why you are concerned about a company having a large range of products? Why are you concerned about their marketing strategy?
Just buy the product that suits you

grogi.giant

They aren't duplicated products are they though? A quick check shows the DO200MkII decodes MQA, whereas the SU-9n doesn't.
I don't get why you are concerned about a company having a large range of products? Why are you concerned about their marketing strategy?
Just buy the product that suits you

I decided against it. That's why :)

Joffy1780

warpdrive

I agree and I will add to it I think another miss in products like these and not this one in particular is no HDMI ARC input. I think a lot of people would use something like this for TV but would like not needing a second remote to use it.

It seems to me the concept of "high performance DAC" is largely solved. There are dozens of products that provide high performance at an affordable price. It seems like every month there is a new model. Now we need more options like eARC support and the right combination of inputs. A usable headphone amp should be a given too.

boobled

Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere before, but when using this DAC as a preamp it appears I'm getting low signal levels to my amp. I can turn the volume control all the way up and its just at reasonable (lowish) listening levels. I'm running XLR out to the amp and the settings appear to be correct.....any input as to why?

Trell

Major Contributor
Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere before, but when using this DAC as a preamp it appears I'm getting low signal levels to my amp. I can turn the volume control all the way up and its just at reasonable (lowish) listening levels. I'm running XLR out to the amp and the settings appear to be correct.....any input as to why?
What amplifier do you have? Many amplifiers have a gain switch to match output level from a DAC to input level on the amplifier.

Trell

Major Contributor
It’s a parasound A23. Gain is all the way up.
Then you should turn it down. Turning the gain down on your amplifier will make the sound from your speakers louder.

Joffy1780

Do you have the gain controls set to the THX position?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Then you should turn it down. Turning the gain down on your amplifier will make the sound from your speakers louder.

Mmmmmm no… less gain means lower sound intensity, all other things being equal.

Top Bottom