• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 311 87.9%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you for your response . The only issue I am having is the D100 does not show the higher rez # when i play Amazon ultra HD . It will always show the same setting that i set on my computer which is 44.1 ....it never changes even when I choose a higher rez even on Tidal and Qbuzz . I even tried running with Foosbar settings and still the same .Not sure what I am doing wrong
Your music players are all using the Wasapi Shared or the Direct Sound API, in which case all content will be resampled to the sample rate that you select in the Sound Control Panel.
You can go there, set your DAC to 384k and the DAC's display will always show 384k.

If you want to avoid that resampling, then you have to use a music player with Wasapi Exclusive or ASIO API.
Foobar can do both, if you install the right add-ons and select the API in the Output settings.

Ryeno

Your music players are all using the Wasapi Shared or the Direct Sound API, in which case all content will be resampled to the sample rate that you select in the Sound Control Panel.
You can go there, set your DAC to 384k and the DAC's display will always show 384k.

If you want to avoid that resampling, then you have to use a music player with Wasapi Exclusive or ASIO API.
Foobar can do both, if you install the right add-ons and select the API in the Output settings.
I would add that you shouldn't use sample rates above 24bit, 48kHz for audio playback. 96kHz might have benefit for audio producers but not consumers. Best case selecting 384kHz will have no improvement in audio quality since we can't hear sound above ~20kHz and 48kHz=24kHz audio. Worst case scenario it might decrease audio quality because you're sending your amplifier higher frequency noise. The other issue is that this will increase CPU usage which isn't ideal and bad if you're a PC gamer.

Last edited:

curly747

Thank you for your response . The only issue I am having is the D100 does not show the higher rez # when i play Amazon ultra HD . It will always show the same setting that i set on my computer which is 44.1 ....it never changes even when I choose a higher rez even on Tidal and Qbuzz . I even tried running with Foosbar settings and still the same .Not sure what I am doing wrong
I am new to streaming on a PC so it did seem odd to me that you need to manually set the output sample rate in Windows sound control panel and it would not automatically adjust to the stream it receives. My ipad and my cheap android phone play spotify at 44 kHz and automatically play amazon unlimited at 192kHz on the DO100. With my laptop i have to change the sample rate in Sound Control panel to play Amazon Unlimited at 192kHz. Reading other threads on ASR it seems it might be because Windows has to cope with playing multiple audio streams at the same time so there has to be a single nominated output sample rate. I will look at Foobar as suggested by @staticV3

Nosendra

Hi folks. I just want to ask if it would be possible to hook up both active monitors on XLR, and the headphone amp on RCA to this DAC at the same time? So I can switch to speakers and headphones whenever I want to. Thanks!

JeffGB

Hi folks. I just want to ask if it would be possible to hook up both active monitors on XLR, and the headphone amp on RCA to this DAC at the same time? So I can switch to speakers and headphones whenever I want to. Thanks!
Yes. I'm using mine that way right now. You would have to turn off your monitors when using the headphones so they didn't also play but that would be the only downside.

hampestampe

Just nabbed one on Amazon lightning deal for like $183. Lowest I've ever seen it. Super excited coming from a Sanskrit 10th mkII, will try balanced outs straight into a March Audio P502.
Thats a bargin!
I've got the S.M.S.L Sanskrit MK2 and the DO100, two great cheap dacs.

Attachments

• 20221002_180251.jpg
    20221002_180251.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 20221002_180202.jpg
    20221002_180202.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 114

drewdawg999

Just got my unit today and first impressions are it's pretty great. Plugged in RCA first and liked what I heard a lot, going through a Rogue tube pre. That kept me busy for a couple hours. Then I tried balanced XLRs using my old Audio Technica cables, straight into my amp, RCA out into sub. Even better! More power, more drive and authority. Have to crank volume on DO100 sometimes but that's okay. So I only have a single source now, that's OK too, figured I should try a major feature of the DAC, and I'm loving the sound.

So my new toy is a great success, fantastic value. Great on Redbook, and hi-res and DSD too. Archimago said it would be nice for DSD and I have to agree. Nice shimmery highs along with driving lows, this transparency thing is a helluva ride. Super happy with purchase.
20221003_134658.jpg

20221003_134635.jpg

doug2761

Forum Donor
Then I tried balanced XLRs using my old Audio Technica cables, straight into my amp, RCA out into sub. Even better!
Not surprised that this sounds better unless there's distortions from your tube amp that you favor. The DAC's high fidelity performance is far superior to any tube amp. I wouldn't worry about having to crank up the volume so long as there's a couple of steps before max. In Arch's review he noted that the dac will clip slightly at max volume if there is a full scale signal. Not really likely with normal music but some of the over processed stuff can get up there. Needing a preamp is a thing of the past unless you need the larger voltage swings for your amp and if you do then you can find a dac that has higher voltage output like the RME ADI-2. I'm using D0100 in my system where it replaced a Chord Qutest that I plan to sell.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I agree, there was no mention of price but of course that's unreasonable. That said, I just look at the SMSL website and the options for DAC/AMPS are quite limited for some reason they seem to focus on separates, on that regard there seem to be better range of choices at Topping. Me personally, I don't own a stack but I find that quite limited. I like to have both headphone capability and feed to my powered speaker at desktop. In this config The amp don't have output and takes the XLR outs from the DAC. Is it confirmed that both the rca outs and XLR outs are active at the same time? In all case it seams a little less convenient but I'd have to see a bit more of the routing structure. I personally for desktop have a semi pro audio interface by Audient and it's simple, the outputs for the speakers, the Jack for headphones, both independent level easy to mute one while using the other. I purchased a separate headphone amp a while back, the Drop THX 789, and its just sitting there not being used because of the convenience factor. It's not practical in feeding the powered speakers.
I just got my unit today and can confirm RCA and XLR are active at the same time. I use XLR to my amp and RCA to my sub and it works great.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I just got my unit today and can confirm RCA and XLR are active at the same time. I use XLR to my amp and RCA to my sub and it works great.
Thanks, that’s what I figured it’s quite standard. So no way to mute one or the other? I am looking for a system where when you use headphone the feed to the speakers can be muted. I know it should be an headphone amp thing, don’t remember exactly how it got in the conversation about this product.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Thanks, that’s what I figured it’s quite standard. So no way to mute one or the other? I am looking for a system where when you use headphone the feed to the speakers can be muted. I know it should be an headphone amp thing, don’t remember exactly how it got in the conversation about this product.
You could put something like this after the DAC? https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

PeteL

Major Contributor
You could put something like this after the DAC? https://www.schiit.com/products/sys
It only got 1 output. I am not looking to switch inputs.
What I want to do is 1 output that goes to an headphone amp, one that goes to speakers, and being able to mute the speakers when I use headphones. Very basic functionalities, all classic preamps have been doing this for decades, seem to be uncommon in desktop products but as mentioned that would make more sense for integrated DAC/Amps or just amps with preamp functionalities, but my own Drop THX789 don't do this, and I find it a bit dumb.

doug2761

Forum Donor
It only got 1 output. I am not looking to switch inputs.
What I want to do is 1 output that goes to an headphone amp, one that goes to speakers, and being able to mute the speakers when I use headphones. Very basic functionalities, all classic preamps have been doing this for decades, seem to be uncommon in desktop products but as mentioned that would make more sense for integrated DAC/Amps or just amps with preamp functionalities, but my own Drop THX789 don't do this, and I find it a bit dumb.
Sounds like maybe you'd be better served with a Topping DX5 or EX5. Manual says that you can switch between modes - headphone, headphone plus output, or preamp mode. That way you can turn off the outputs to your amp and eliminate a box. EX5 costs what you could probably sell the Drop THX.

Graham849

Forum Donor
I have AO200 amp using XLR from DO100 and using dual sub out on AO200 to sub amp. Would it it be more sensible to use RCA on DO100 to sub amp?

doug2761

Forum Donor
I have AO200 amp using XLR from DO100 and using dual sub out on AO200 to sub amp. Would it it be more sensible to use RCA on DO100 to sub amp?
Depends on the behavior you want. Looks like the AO has a low pass filter on the sub out. That might be redundant with filtering that’s probably already in your subwoofer. Sonically I doubt you could tell a difference.

lvau

Is anyone else getting a high-pitched noise (typical "coil whine") when the unit is turned OFF(!) with the power plugged in (220V)? The coil whine turns silent once I turn it on, but as soon as I turn it off via the volume wheel, it starts again and can be heard from about 20 to 30cm distance. Is this normal with this unit? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Graham849

Forum Donor
Is anyone else getting a high-pitched noise (typical "coil whine") when the unit is turned OFF(!) with the power plugged in (220V)? The coil whine turns silent once I turn it on, but as soon as I turn it off via the volume wheel, it starts again and can be heard from about 20 to 30cm distance. Is this normal with this unit? Is anyone else experiencing this?
I leave mine on 24/7. Just turned it off. 10pm at night so silent house. There is a ?transformer hum/buzz when i put my ear onto the case. Turned back on - no noise. Hope this helps. 240V. g

mvnchies

Hi, sorry if this has been answered but is there any way to turn off the display permanently? And only see volume adjustments? Or have it turn off automatically in standby? Not seeing anything in the manual.

Can’t seem to find anything on Google either…

Top Bottom