• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 311 87.9%

• Total voters

curly747

Optical input issue: I had no trouble for the first week using my DO100, however the past week I have had 1-2 second dropouts every so often in the first 20 minutes then the system seems to stabilise. Day 1 I thought it was the file I was playing but different files had same result next day.

Day 3 I tried a new optical cable. Same issue.

Day 4 after some googling I ran the K-lite codec pack from a USB stick which found some problems and fixed them. But the drop outs continue.

Day 5 I used the DAC using USB input from another computer - no issues.

This is a windows 10 computer without internet/ wifi, that has been upgraded vista>windows 7 betas>windows 7>windows 8 betas>windows 8.1> windows 10 so complicated history. The only hardware change has been SSD drive.

Any thoughts?
Have you adjusted the DPLL setting in the DAC. According to the manual you need a higher DP setting if the clock stability of the input is not good. I had same issue with an optical source and it was resolved by selecting higher DP setting. Although in the end i use coaxial for that sourcfe and was able to set DP back to 1.

Graham849

Forum Donor
Have you adjusted the DPLL setting in the DAC. According to the manual you need a higher DP setting if the clock stability of the input is not good. I had same issue with an optical source and it was resolved by selecting higher DP setting. Although in the end i use coaxial for that sourcfe and was able to set DP back to 1.
Thanks curly747, I will try this. I have changed it to 3 and will report back in 22+ hours

Graham849

Forum Donor
Thanks curly747, I will try this. I have changed it to 3 and will report back in 22+ hours
So DP 3 setting has stopped dropouts.i also turned DAC down to 96 as per another answer elsewhere. So far so good :)

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course the numbers are 'incredibly good' because the entire top of the audible spectrum is chopped off, along with its harmonics.

Default filter 1 is circa -12dB down @ 20kHz according to your AP plots... Not sure when that became remotely HiFi. Like, not ever. Certainly not in the digital era, or the open reel era, or even the cassette era.

Filter 3 is clearly the one you should be using for tests.

The last D/A converter you reviewed had the best filter response you've ever measured (the Chord) and yet this thing is getting top marks with arguably one of the worst default filters I've ever seen. Go figure. Where is the consistency?

Hardly. The default filter response (you used for testing) is poor and you know it.
The "entire top" is actually false. The cut seems to start at 19khz, that is already way beyond that many adults can hear. What we many times perceive as highs in music are actually around 7, 8khz.

I confidently say that if you cut everything above 18khz, you would struggle to perceive any meaningful difference.

For example. The lowest note of the guitar is 82hz E. The highest string is an E two octave high, so 328hz (82x2x2) fundamental. If we talking about a 24 fret guitar (2 octaves fretboard), the highest note is 1312hz (328x2x2). Even a 10x higher harmonic of the highest note of a guitar would be around 13khz.

Carlo2AC

Amazing!
How does it stacks against thje D10b feature-wise?

Can i turn off or adjust the display on this one?

I wonder if it could've been thinner if it used TRSS instead of XLR

Steamrolly

How does it stacks against thje D10b feature-wise?
The differences are coaxial and optical input but you lose the pass through feature of the D10. USB-C input instead of USB-B. XLR instead of TRS
I am sure there are internal differences as well but you can check Amir's reviews to compare technical performance.
Can i turn off or adjust the display on this one?
Yes, dimmed using the control know and turned off using the remote.
I wonder if it could've been thinner if it used TRSS instead of XLR
Probably - take a look at the SMSL DA-6

Last edited:

dkalsi

Having never purchased an external dac, I’m tempted to try this one. Quick (possibly dumb) question: can one essentially remove a a preamp out of their system and directly connect it to an amp? And control the volume via the DAC? I plan on using it with Chromecast audio via optical connection. I’m using the Chromecast now, but not the optical connection, but simply the 3.5mm analog out to my preamp (and thus using Chromecast built-in dac), and then my preamp to the amp. I’m hoping I can connect the Chromecast directly to this dac, and the dac directly to the amp. Is that a viable route?

curly747

Having never purchased an external dac, I’m tempted to try this one. Quick (possibly dumb) question: can one essentially remove a a preamp out of their system and directly connect it to an amp? And control the volume via the DAC? I plan on using it with Chromecast audio via optical connection. I’m using the Chromecast now, but not the optical connection, but simply the 3.5mm analog out to my preamp (and thus using Chromecast built-in dac), and then my preamp to the amp. I’m hoping I can connect the Chromecast directly to this dac, and the dac directly to the amp. Is that a viable route?
I am using the volume control on the DO100 and it works fine for me. I like it because it gives finer control than my amp remote. I don't have chromecast audio but i expect that should work fine connecting via optical. I have mine setup with an old logitech streamer connected with coaxial and TV connected using optical. I also connect either my phone or ipad or laptop using USB C when i want higher quality. The kids also connect and play their music using bluetooth from their phones and that works great too. Even with bluetooth the sound quality is pretty good. Its probably the best 210 USD i have ever spent on audio.The biggest improvment is with TV where i was previously using a $10 connector/DAC to connect to the amp. I also think the logitech streamer sounds a bit better using the DO100 DAC. I also like being able to play a good streaming service like Amazon Unlimited via USB C and know i am getting the best quality source that i should ever need.

I think there are a few good threads on this site you should look at in regard to your chromecast audio in case you haven't looked already . Like this one ...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/

linuxfan

can one essentially remove a a preamp out of their system and directly connect it to an amp? And control the volume via the DAC? I plan on using it with Chromecast audio via optical connection.
I have the same configuration (slightly different DAC) and it does exactly what you want. The optical s/pdif connection at the ChromecastAudio is mini-TOSLINK, so you will need a mini-TOSLINK-to-TOSLINK cable.

Graham849

Forum Donor
This is a post that also could be in AO200 and many other threads.

Thanks to so many posters over those threads and posts on Archimagos blog I upgraded from my 2009 dell studio hybrid computer to a Mele quieter2 fanless computer with 1TB drive. Also installed JRiver 29 and Android remote.

Now using USB input to DO100 at level 30 output and level 40 output on AO200.

Very happy chappy using less power and getting good sound, next expense speaker upgrades!

Thanks again to the ASR community for the wealth of information I have gleaned from so many threads!

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
DO100 has an option to switch to UAC1 for compatibility with older Windows versions. It seems there was a missed opportunity to include an option to limit to 16-bit audio for compatibility with certain game consoles, which barf when connected to 24-bit DACs. Qudelix 5K, for example, includes this option.

ghunty

Hi folks ...Brand new wanna be audio phile here !
I would sure wish I could understand most of this ! I just got the SMSL D100 ! Please tell me what is the best way to set up with a win 10 usb to dac usbc and get best sound . Do I need ASIO or WSABI and Audiovanna , Foosbar, or Jriver . And then I hear you can not get bit perfect on Amazon HD or I can not get Amazon Ultra 24/196 or no MQA with Tidal .Is there a simple way to get it right wiith my Win 10 and let my SMSL D100 do all the work and not be processed thru win 10 .I just want the best sound for my 2000 watt (1100 RMS) Mackie Powered speakers with XLR balanced . Where is the Plug and play ? Please help me simplify this and yet get the highest quality of sound ? Thank you ...thank you for your advise !
Gary

Graham849

Forum Donor
Congratulations on your purchase!
I use jriver and have DO100 set to USB 2 using the SMSL driver.
It took a number of tries to get direct output to DAC. Jriver has a cog that is now blue all the time showing direct output.

No MQA with DO100 - DO200 has MQA which I don't believe anyone needs.

The xmos driver outputs ASIO, download latest version from SMSL.

Windows sound properties should show SMSL USB DAC.

In output format in jriver I have changed sample rate to no change.

Took me awhile to figure it all out -good luck on achieving the blue cog, and then enjoy the music forget the settings!

paulraphael

I just got one and very much like the features and the design. Probably the highest performing thing in my whole system, by orders of magnitude, so no point in commenting on the sound.

My one annoyance is the supposed incompatibility with usb c-to-c cables. But at least one person in this thread found cables that work.

Any more thoughts on this? Has anyone else found a reliable source of functioning c-to-c cables? And what about c-to-lightning, for connecting to an iPhone?

ghunty

It took a number of tries to get direct output to DAC. Jriver has a cog that is now blue all the time showing direct output.

Took me awhile to figure it all out -good luck on achieving the blue cog, and then enjoy the music forget the settings!

Graham

Thank you soooooo much . you rule
Gary

Ryeno

Mini Review
It's good.

I received my DO100 a few days and I could instantly tell an improvement in my audio quality. My configuration is optical output from my PC and connecting the DAC into the main power amplifier input of my AVR, bypassing the AVR's DAC & pre-amp. The AVRs DAC is an ancient AK4324. Audio output is 2 channel PCM mode, 48khz, and DPLL1.

This DAC improved the clarity of the audio. The mid bass is more clear, less muddy. So the audio sounds more transparent and less fatiguing. I did A/B tests and it is noticeable.

The only con is it runs warm to the touch. With that said, SMSL is using high quality UCC ¿KMG? 105C caps so they are rated for high temp and the temperature here is only warm to the touch, not blazing hot.

Overall I'm happy with this unit.

Last edited:

ghunty

Thank you for your response . The only issue I am having is the D100 does not show the higher rez # when i play Amazon ultra HD . It will always show the same setting that i set on my computer which is 44.1 ....it never changes even when I choose a higher rez even on Tidal and Qbuzz . I even tried running with Foosbar settings and still the same .Not sure what I am doing wrong

Top Bottom