• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm is there a "direct DAC" mode for use with a pre/pro?
I don't know. But I set the volume to max and those are the results you see in the review. So a bypass mode wouldn't be any better.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With headphone amps, @amirm measures the SNR at 50 mV to show how much it drops from full output, and what you can expect for a "real world" SNR at normal listening levels. It would be nice to see this measurement with DACs having a volume control.
What output voltage would you suggest for DACs?

PeteL

Major Contributor
SINAD and SNR are usually measured at full output. But nobody actually listens at that level, MUCH too loud.
My DAC is at full output 100% of the time. This DAC only has a line out. There is no such thing as a normal listening level, what set the listening level is the gain structure of the amplification chain after it.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been looking for a bluetooth input DAC to use in my lab.

My car does not have a CD player in its "upgraded" sound system. I have been using the bluetooth function on a LG V60 cell phone to carry around tunes for the road trips to the beach.

What is the the quality of the Bloothtooth input on this DAC? Will it sound okay with the LG V60 cell phone bluetooth transmitter 10 feet across the room sitting on the workbench next to me?

Thanks DT

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What is the the quality of the Bloothtooth input on this DAC?
If your phone can push LDAC, then it will be great. Otherwise, I find the performance of the rest of the BT codecs mediocre.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If your phone can push LDAC, then it will be great. Otherwise, I find the performance of the rest of the BT codecs mediocre.
Probably right but it may worth noting that LDAC is an adaptative codec. As it been tested how it performs more than a couple feet away? Me for example if using AptX HD which have a relatively high bit rate, still less than full stream of LDAC, the range where it starts to drop out is significantly less than the other lower bit rate CODECs, significantly less than 10 feet. LDAC won't drop but it will reduce its bit rate. I have not tested it, but off course an external full length antenna like this DAC seam to have (at least I see a connector) would help with that. It may be ok but it's not a given.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Nice review! I did see this on their web site. Evidently, they're using a linear switching supply. :)

Attachments

• SMSL.jpg
    SMSL.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 234

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD and SNR are usually measured at full output. But nobody actually listens at that level, MUCH too loud. So the question is, how much does the SINAD and SNR drop as you turn down the volume? This varies depending on the design of the device. So it's possible that some device D1 having excellent measurements is not so excellent after you turn down the volume to usable levels. And some other device D2 having less excellent measurements may actually be better than D1 after turning it down to usable levels. Or some other device D3 is always excellent at all volume settings.

So there is some thread of truth or possibility to that claim. However, usually it is only a thread and mostly B.S. With the digital volume controls that these DACs have, the output noise level is constant so SNR should drop roughly 1:1 as you turn down the volume. So if it measures 120 dB at full output and you turn it down by 30 dB to reach a usable or normal volume level, you have 120 - 30 = 90 dB which is still great for a normal listening level.

With headphone amps, @amirm measures the SNR at 50 mV to show how much it drops from full output, and what you can expect for a "real world" SNR at normal listening levels. It would be nice to see this measurement with DACs having a volume control.
I think this graph shows how the DAC behaves at lower output levels:
index.php

DualTriode

Thanks
LG V60 does support LDAC.
I will give it a try.

Probably right but it may worth noting that LDAC is an adaptative codec. As it been tested how it performs more than a couple feet away? Me for example if using AptX HD which have a relatively high bit rate, still less than full stream of LDAC, the range where it starts to drop out is significantly less than the other lower bit rate CODECs, significantly less than 10 feet. LDAC won't drop but it will reduce its bit rate. I have not tested it, but off course an external full length antenna like this DAC seam to have (at least I see a connector) would help with that. It may be ok but it's not a given.

Thanks
I will report back how it works out.

DT

Gio

Forum Donor
I'm a bit confused about so many "outstanding" DAC with so different prices. I mean why to spend 800$ for a Topping D90 when the result of this SMSL DO100 seems so close at 1/4 of the price? What I'm missing?

Palladium

A bit over $200 now gets one stellar performance, balanced out and a remote. I would have never imagined such a thing 20 years ago. Hi-fi and TVs are two consumer items that get better and cheaper with each iteration.

I'm seriously considering one as a LDAC BT + TV SPDIF receiver for my living room LSR305s.

dib

A very impressive device for a budget price. The multi tone test is even cleaner than Topping E50! It looks like the right time for the balanced Topping D50 Pro + A50 Pro.

DrZingo

Not sure what you mean, your signal can be as complex has you want but if it has harmonics above 20 kHz nobody will ever hear them. A square wave at 16kHz will sound to you has a tone.
You are right. I didn't reply to your post, we both replied to a third one and I tried to make the same point as you did: complex waveforms are composed of sine waves at various multiples of the fundamental.

anphex

Forum Donor
Great DAC, I think considering price/value this is the #1 currently. I just ordered the SU-9N but if this review had been out a few days earlier this little guy would have been the winner.

Reactions: MCH

Lupin

Another great performing device.
Quite amazing that SMSL managed to deliver this performance at this price point given the world wide economic situation and logistics problems.

At the same time I kinda feel that the DAC market starts to get saturated.
Look the the offerings from SMSL and Topping. They have so many models now that the differences that sets them apart are getting smaller and smaller. At this point you can't stop wondering how much a new released model will cannibalize the sales of an already existing model(s).

PyramidElectric

I'm a bit confused about so many "outstanding" DAC with so different prices. I mean why to spend 800$ for a Topping D90 when the result of this SMSL DO100 seems so close at 1/4 of the price? What I'm missing?
I guess the answer is: You want this level of performance, but 3 years ago.

HansHolland

What output voltage would you suggest for DACs?
This is a difficult one.

I am using my RME DAC between 0 dB and -12 dB with the RCA outputs. But my amplifier (ALLO VOLT+ D) has an attenuator that I have put around -14 dB and I have set the gain of the amp at 20 dB, giving a gain of just 6 dB of the amp. And I have average sensitivity loudspeakers (Wharfedale Diamond 12.1) within 1 meter distance of my ears.

But I understand that the gain of the amp, the sensitivity of the loudspeakers, the distance of the loudspeakers to the listeners ears and the loudness that the listener likes vary for everybody.

But, whatever level is chosen as a reference for these tests, the level must be much lower than the 0 dB level (around 2 Vrms for RCA). Otherwise the difference is too small to see big differences compared to 0 dB.

Top Bottom