• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 DAC & HO100 Headphone amp

RandomEar

Side note:
I had read in a previous post that the Monoprice XLR cables are both not flexible and not really16AWG. The ones I received are definitely flexible enough and the packaging and cable itself both show 16AWG but I won't be taking my cable apart to confirm. They appear to be more than adequate for my application.
I would bet that they're adding up all conductors plus the shielding and call it "16AWG". Even high quality XLR cables are typically around 22AWG for the conductors plus a little more (21 to 20AWG) for the ground/shielding. And that's more than enough for that application.

timtt

So my SMSL DO100 and Monoprice Premier Series XLR 16AWG interconnect cables (P/N 4749) arrived today. I haven't had a chance to do any comparative listening however I figured I could at least post some photos for those who are interested. The protective film is still on the DAC.

Side note:
I had read in a previous post that the Monoprice XLR cables are both not flexible and not really16AWG. The ones I received are definitely flexible enough and the packaging and cable itself both show 16AWG but I won't be taking my cable apart to confirm. They appear to be more than adequate for my application.
There's a review for monoprice xlr cable, I think they are working good.
I received my Do100 yesterday, also together with monoprice xlr cable. I like them better than topping e50 with trs to xlr cable.

Last edited:

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Some initial impressions of the DO100. First and foremost, I like everything about this DAC .. features, simple display and menu, remote, and excellent sound quality. It has the same basic sonic signature as the SU-6, unsurprisingly. It’s louder at the same volume settings, again unsurprisingly. Without level-matching or any other proper controls my ear/brain tells me the sound is a touch fuller/denser than the SU-6. Subjective? Absolutely.

I’m happy with both DACs, very happy in fact. If I had to choose just 1 it would be the DO100. I’ll be keeping both, the SU-6 will be used in another system.

FWIW I’m using DP1 and FL3 without issue streaming 16/44.1 thru 24/192. XLR cables are Better Cables Silver Serpent, which I’ve owned for a decade or so.

V.b.

Does it make any sounds (pops and stuff) while starting, changing inputs or sample rates?

OP
S

Steamrolly

FWIW I’m using DP1 and FL3 without issue streaming.
I am interested in your rationale to use FL3 instead of FL1. Also, this is my first experience with a DAC with DP settings so I am not entirely clear on the benefits of the of this setting, admittedly I haven't take then time to investigate it in detail. DM me if you prefer.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I am interested in your rationale to use FL3 instead of FL1. Also, this is my first experience with a DAC with DP settings so I am not entirely clear on the benefits of the of this setting, admittedly I haven't take then time to investigate it in detail. DM me if you prefer.
The filters were graphed and explained in the SU-6 thread here. I tried each of them out of curiosity and, while I found the changes subtle, I stayed with FL3.

PyramidElectric

A couple of questions to those who already have the DO100:
I'm assuming the 'knob' functions as a volume control in default mode right?
Does the unit remember volume setting even after it's been powered off?

Any plans to test this one @amirm ?

Nonick

Any high pitched noise (coil whine) coming from DO100?
audible at 5-10 cm from unit.

OP
S

Steamrolly

A couple of questions to those who already have the DO100:
I'm assuming the 'knob' functions as a volume control in default mode right?
Does the unit remember volume setting even after it's been powered off?
Yes, the 'knob' functions as a volume control in it's default mode but is also used to change inputs and adjust settings. It feels solid and functions well. I keep my volume at max since I use my amp to control volume however I turned on the DO100 adjusted the volume to 60 and then turned it on and off again. It was still set to 60, so yes.

OP
S

Steamrolly

So, my impressions of the DO100 are quite positive. The build quality is akin to the AO200, and I appreciate the simplicity of the DO100 while still offering balanced output. The control knob is solid feeling, in my opinion better than the AO200 and much better than my A07. The settings and controls and filters are completely adequate, I personally have no need for the level of adjustment that the DO200 offers. At first I was concerned that the display could not be turned off (minor concern) but then found that the display brightness is set using the control knob, but the display can be turned on and off with the remote.

My system is (currently) comprised of:
SMSL AO200 Amplifier
SMSL DO100 DAC
Monoprice Premier Series XLR 1.5' interconnect cables
Mission LX-5 Speakers
Linn LK20 speaker wire (+/-12AWG)
I am using Tidal on a Windows laptop with the DO100 driver installed.
Settings FL3 and DP1 - still playing with the filters.

CAUTION: The following contains subjective opinions which may not be suitable for all members.:oops:

I was quite skeptical if I would actually hear a difference with this DAC but the improvement in comparison to the SMS Sanskrit 10th MKII is notable. I found the DO100 (using balanced XLR interconnects) to have more clarity and precision in its musical reproduction. The bass is cleaner and tighter and the there is clearer longer sustain to guitar strings, cymbals etc. Vocals may be slightly more open but generally on par with my other DAC. I have heard others say that the AO200 is out classed by the DO200 which I interpret to mean is that you cannot fully benefit from the DO200 performance until you move to a better amp. I suggest that the DO100 is a nice match for the AO200 and for me it is a keeper.

I do hope that Aoshida Audio send Amir a DO100 for review, it would be interesting to see the results.

Attachments

• AO200 & DO100.jpg
    AO200 & DO100.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 111

drewdawg999

Cool, so the DO100 is now on my hitlist, to be my next DAC if there is one. I'm currently sporting the Sanskrit 10th mkII and find it quite satisfying for my headphone system, especially with DSD. Sounds pretty good in my big speaker system too, though it's pretty much on par with my cheap DAP, a Surfans F20. Prefer to use the F20 in the big system for simplicity's sake, and lack of outlets. But I don't really feel the need to upgrade currently, unless I can get my dirty paws on a balanced preamp, and the only one I can afford is a Chinese clone. On the fence about overhauling my speaker system, I'm quite happy with it right now, so don't feel like gambling on a Chinese preamp of dubious origin.

Was hoping for an M500 mkII without the headphone amp, and a successor to the M300 mkII as well. Now that I just heard of the DO100, I know what I want exists, nice! The price is fair as well, cheaper than the Topping D30 Pro by a good margin, which it also seems to outperform. Those other DACs were formally on my hitlist, but this one has supplanted them, it's in the sweet spot. Now if I only had a need for a balanced DAC then I'd pull the trigger.

Nonick

SMSL DO100 arrived today.
When DO100 is powered ON - there is zero high pitch noise (coil whine) audible from 5-10 cm of the unit power supply.
But, when i press Power OFF button on remote control (DO100 powered OFF) - there is moderate audible high pitch noise 5-10cm from the unit (right above/side of power supply in).
Any owners of DO100 experiencing this "issue"?

OP
S

Steamrolly

SMSL DO100 arrived today.
When DO100 is powered ON - there is zero high pitch noise (coil whine) audible from 5-10 cm of the unit power supply.
But, when i press Power OFF button on remote control (DO100 powered OFF) - there is moderate audible high pitch noise 5-10cm from the unit (right above/side of power supply in).
Any owners of DO100 experiencing this "issue"?
I had not noticed anything prior as I don't sit anywhere near the DAC; it is at the front of the room with my other equipment. I went to see if I have the same noise and yes when it is turned off there is a faint high pitch noise but I needed to get my ear quite close to hear it. That said with the very low power consumption I have typically left my both RPi's and DAC turned on.

Top Bottom