• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DAC compatible with RME ADI 2DAC FS

Audiogil

A friend asked me for help as to indicate a SMSL DAC with SQ and price compatible with the RME Adi 2DAC FS.
Could anyone help me with the need of him?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend asked me for help as to indicate a SMSL DAC with SQ and price compatible with the RME Adi 2DAC FS.
Could anyone help me with the need of him?
For price, that largely depends on what territory you are in- I know the RME is comparatively more expensive in the US than the UK for example.

For quality- is he looking for a combined dac plus headphone amp or just the DAC? Does he need any of the additional features the RME has. Does he need the balanced/ xlr line outputs of the RME or just the RCA outputs?

In terms of the measurements, pretty much any of the newer SMSL DAC should have pretty much the same "sound" as the RME (ie - transparent to the source)- have a look at the review index on here . The SMSL range seems to grow and shift monthly!

PS- I think you mean "comparable" with (equivalent to) , not "compatible" (works with)

Trell

Major Contributor
For price, that largely depends on what territory you are in- I know the RME is comparatively more expensive in the US than the UK for example.

For quality- is he looking for a combined dac plus headphone amp or just the DAC? Does he need any of the additional features the RME has. Does he need the balanced/ xlr line outputs of the RME or just the RCA outputs?

In terms of the measurements, pretty much any of the newer SMSL DAC should have pretty much the same "sound" as the RME (ie - transparent to the source)- have a look at the review index on here . The SMSL range seems to grow and shift monthly!

PS- I think you mean "comparable" with (equivalent to) , not "compatible" (works with)

Agree. The RME ADI-2 DAC FS measures very well but I bought it for the many features it has along with RME track record of supporting their devices, including updated excellent manuals. If one does not want/need those features then there are many other very well measuring devices that are far cheaper.

I live in EU which is a bonus for me as RME is a German company.

OP
A

Audiogil

Ok jimbob54,
Comparable or similar is more adequate!
The focus is sound quality!

Trell

Major Contributor
Ok jimbob54,
Comparable or similar is more adequate!
The focus is sound quality!

You did not answer his questions as to what features and connectivity your friend needs or wants.

A DAC only or a combined DAC/headphone amp like the RME ADI-2 DAC?

A unique strength the RME ADI-2 DAC has is extensive onboard DSP features like dynamic loudness, PEQ and tone controls. If your friends wants similar functionality the picking is very slim indeed.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, the RME is a way of avoiding to use a computer to apply EQ and some DSP, I just prefer a separate unit. I work with the computer all day and don't want to see them nor battling with software issues when I play music.

OP
A

Audiogil

You did not answer his questions as to what features and connectivity your friend needs or wants.

A DAC only or a combined DAC/headphone amp like the RME ADI-2 DAC?

A unique strength the RME ADI-2 DAC has is extensive onboard DSP features like dynamic loudness, PEQ and tone controls. If your friends wants similar functionality the picking is very slim indeed.
The focus is SQ. Just this.

Trell

Major Contributor

The reviewed DACs on ASR in the blue or green category are transparent, that is, you are unlikely to hear any difference between them. Just pick one.

The difference you can hear can be due to things like max output level or use of DSP. This is where reviews are useful to match with your use case.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That doesn't tell the full story.

SQ wise, you probably can buy a $150 DAC that will match (more or less) the RME in its DAC function.
But then comes the rest : Functionalities
And quality of their implementation.

Most obvious examples:
Powerfull and performant headphones amplifier, EQ with "Loudness" function, comprehensive set of IOs, informative display, effective remote control, ...

Not to speak about warranty and support, frequent firmware upgrades (adding new functionalities),...

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
That doesn't tell the full story.

SQ wise, you probably can buy a $150 DAC that will match (more or less) the RME in its DAC function.
But then comes the rest : Functionalities
And quality if their implementation.

Most obvious examples:
Powerfull and performant headphones amplifier, EQ with "Loudness" function, comprehensive set of IOs, informative display, effective remote control, ...
Not to speak about warranty and support, frequent firmware upgrades (adding new functionalities),...

This is what we’re trying to tell the OP. Third time is like a charm, I hear. :)

Top Bottom