• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

ShinMolina

I have noticed one problem with my DA-9. I normally set the volume to about 30 for normal listening from the RCA inputs. If I use Bluetooth I have to increase it to about 44 for a similar volume. Does anyone else have this problem?
It's not a problem. Signal amplitude from one analog input doesn't have to be the same than from the Bluetooth receiver inside the amplifier.

tcb123

I have noticed one problem with my DA-9. I normally set the volume to about 30 for normal listening from the RCA inputs. If I use Bluetooth I have to increase it to about 44 for a similar volume. Does anyone else have this problem?
It looks like the volume is source dependant. I have the volume set to maximum on different Bluetooth sources and the volume at the amplifier is different. Most are nearer to the wired input volume.

Clayton_78

Hey guys!
I read the entire topic and I'm looking to buy this Amplifier but I have some doubts.

1) My speakers are small towers with dual 6.5" woofer, mid 5" and tweeter. Manufacturer reported sensitivity of 89dB and impedance of 6 ohms. Would the DA9 do well?
2) Are there still problems like freezing on the home screen, DC on output, crackles etc or have they been fixed?
3) I currently switch between a DIY 120W class A/B Mosfet amplifier per channel, a 3e Audio TPA3255 amplifier with a good 48V power supply and a generic board with two TPA3116D2 bridged, one per channel. Would I have gains or positively perceive differences by buying the DA9?
4) What do you know about SMSL AO200? It has a USB port, does it allow for firmware upgrade or is it just to work as a DAC?
Yes, I'm an amplifier maniac, I have many others, but I currently use the ones I mentioned above.

My signal sources are an SMSL DP3 where I play FLAC via external HDD and bluetooth via mobile/notebook (Spotify and etc).

I have doubts about the problems presented (freezing, DC and noise) because the logistics of sending this to china in search of warranty would be a really exhausting job.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• 20200215_191953 (1).jpg
    20200215_191953 (1).jpg
    300 KB · Views: 172
  • 20191222_133408 (1).jpg
    20191222_133408 (1).jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20200729_202912.jpg
    IMG_20200729_202912.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20200924_170656.jpg
    IMG_20200924_170656.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20200924_170425 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200924_170425 (2).jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

SOUNDSONIC

You may have to increase the volume of your BT source. Youre right the DA9 BT receiver is deoendent on thr volume of the BT source.....

Last edited:

SOUNDSONIC

Hey guys!
I read the entire topic and I'm looking to buy this Amplifier but I have some doubts.

1) My speakers are small towers with dual 6.5" woofer, mid 5" and tweeter. Manufacturer reported sensitivity of 89dB and impedance of 6 ohms. Would the DA9 do well?
2) Are there still problems like freezing on the home screen, DC on output, crackles etc or have they been fixed?
3) I currently switch between a DIY 120W class A/B Mosfet amplifier per channel, a 3e Audio TPA3255 amplifier with a good 48V power supply and a generic board with two TPA3116D2 bridged, one per channel. Would I have gains or positively perceive differences by buying the DA9?
4) What do you know about SMSL AO200? It has a USB port, does it allow for firmware upgrade or is it just to work as a DAC?
Yes, I'm an amplifier maniac, I have many others, but I currently use the ones I mentioned above.

My signal sources are an SMSL DP3 where I play FLAC via external HDD and bluetooth via mobile/notebook (Spotify and etc).

I have doubts about the problems presented (freezing, DC and noise) because the logistics of sending this to china in search of warranty would be a really exhausting job.

Thank you all.
quite

Hi, Clayton. Welcome aboard to this thread. Great stuff you've got there. I'm waiting for my Aiyima A07. It is also powered by TPA3255.

1. If you've seen the specs of the DA9, it can handle speakers with impedance of as low as 2 ohms. Your 6 ohms speakers are just fine but they cant draw the full power potential of the DA9. At 6 ohms load, the DA9 may be producing approximately 70 watts more or less.
2. There are still few who are receiving DA9s with manufacturing defects. These defective units could have not reached the market if SMSL has a focused and stringent Quality Control. Its not a design flaw. The DA9 is probably one of the best Class D amps in the market today. Buy from sellers with good return policy. That's the only way to ensure that your money will not go to waste.

There are previous posts here regarding the AO200. You can find there the info you want.

Regards....

Clayton_78

quite

Hi, Clayton. Welcome aboard to this thread. Great stuff you've got there. I'm waiting for my Aiyima A07. It is also powered by TPA3255.

1. If you've seen the specs of the DA9, it can handle speakers with impedance of as low as 2 ohms. Your 6 ohms speakers are just fine but they cant draw the full power potential of the DA9. At 6 ohms load, the DA9 may be producing approximately 70 watts more or less.
2. There are still few who are receiving DA9s with manufacturing defects. These defective units could have not reached the market if SMSL has a focused and stringent Quality Control. Its not a design flaw. The DA9 is probably one of the best Class D amps in the market today. Buy from sellers with good return policy. That's the only way to ensure that your money will not go to waste.

There are previous posts here regarding the AO200. You can find there the info you want.

Regards....

Thanks for answering!
I am very interested in buying the AO200.
The fact that I can adjust the screen off time as I see it, denounces a different firmware from the DA-9. This can prevent the unwanted freeze on startup.
At least in marketing, the AO200 claims to have ERO capacitors for audio and MELF resistors, if the DA-9 has them, the marketing material does not mention anything about it.
Another detail I appreciate on the AO200 is the presence of an on/off switch on the rear.

On second thought, these speakers of mine are not so demanding, I can use them with a supposed 50W TPA3116 with more than enough SPL for my listening room.

I think I will be the "first" of the ASR to acquire the AO200 and he will arrive with my impressions and maybe, internal photos.

Regards

ShinMolina

I think I will be the "first" of the ASR to acquire the AO200 and he will arrive with my impressions and maybe, internal photos.
Regards
That will be quite interesting for comparison! I personally would like to see how similar are they internally.

I doubt there is a bridge for firmware updates via USB. Most probably, the AO200 is using the USB input present in its Bluetooth receiver chip.

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding the S.M.S.L AO200, has anybody other than myself noticed the USB input? It is the only downside I can think of because it forces those of us who have invested in USB cables that are USB A-B rather than what is essentially the standard USB B input, I'm not throwing away my USB cables for a thrown in freebie USB cable just so I can use the AO200. I don't see a single other downside to the amplifier though. And to be honest, I actually prefer the visual aesthetics of the S.M.S.L AO200 over my DA-9. Just not enough to buy a basically identical unit. We don't know how the SW outputs are wired, dual outputs are imho pointless if they are just split into two. Electrically Y adaptors or splitters are a no-no. The impedance change itself is a no-no. I would have been happier if the DA-9's sub output had independent gain control, but at this price I just look at it as a bonus. Besides, plenty of proper subwoofers have a huge range of adjustments via your mobile so you don't need to keep walking up to the subwoofer and adjusting and sitting back down to make small changes. Of course a good subwoofer cost 4x plus to begin with compared to the S.M.S.L DA-9.

Indeed it appears as if S.M.S.L is up to it's normal, standard trick of mass producing, and rebranding the same amplifier in many different guises. This type of marketing can only be sustained if us buyers are not informed and allow it to continue. I'll stick with S.M.S.L branded products and hope that they slow down in producing so many new models. Hopefully that will eliminate or virtually reduce the Q.C. issues that seem to be creeping in. As a manufacturer you have to make sure that what you send out into the world will not harm your reputation. Flooding the marketplace with virtually identical devices might help you short term but it is extremely short sighted. Plus you have to train your final assembly line and Q.C. personnel. It is a losing proposition. As long as the buyer remains uninformed, they can carry on this charade, but people aren't that easily fooled.

I believe in you S.M.S.L, you can do better! Don't let me down!

Clayton_78

Yesterday I spent the day listening to my TPA3255 3e Audio and I wondered if I really need another Amplifier, in this case the AO200 or DA9.
I'm crazy about amplifiers and most likely buying a new Amplifier is more to feed an addiction than a necessity, since the TPA3255 is playing really, really well.
But the question remains, what if SMSL with an Infineon chip plays much better?

SOUNDSONIC

Yesterday I spent the day listening to my TPA3255 3e Audio and I wondered if I really need another Amplifier, in this case the AO200 or DA9.
I'm crazy about amplifiers and most likely buying a new Amplifier is more to feed an addiction than a necessity, since the TPA3255 is playing really, really well.
But the question remains, what if SMSL with an Infineon chip plays much better?

Got a BRZHIFI TPA3255 integrated amp. The sound is good but to my ears, its no match to the DA9. Just recently, I ordered a TPA3255 power amp and will try to couple with a good tube preamp. Lets see if it could level up with the DA9....

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@SOUNDSONIC why not buy a tube amplifier then? There's a reason why I have 2 and am currently using the smaller of my two tube amps right now while the DA-9 has a rest!

SOUNDSONIC

@SOUNDSONIC why not buy a tube amplifier then? There's a reason why I have 2 and am currently using the smaller of my two tube amps right now while the DA-9 has a rest!

Hi, sir jokan. Yes, maybe I will. I just learned that PS Audio's highend amp is a hybrid. A tube preamp and a solid state power amp. I know. I can not emulate theirs but I just like to do experimentations. Its the hobby and its fun.

Best regards.....

Clayton_78

Got a BRZHIFI TPA3255 integrated amp. The sound is good but to my ears, its no match to the DA9. Just recently, I ordered a TPA3255 power amp and will try to couple with a good tube preamp. Lets see if it could level up with the DA9....
Posts like this make me very curious about the sound of Chip Infineon.
The hand even itch to close the purchase on Aliexpress. :)
About the TPA3255, when convenient, try to buy the 3e Audio implementation.
What is your BRZHIFI model?

SOUNDSONIC

Posts like this make me very curious about the sound of Chip Infineon.
The hand even itch to close the purchase on Aliexpress. :)
About the TPA3255, when convenient, try to buy the 3e Audio implementation.
What is your BRZHIFI model?[/QUOTE

Its Breeze BRZHIFI TPA3255A. It was Breeze's first offering of 3255s. . Their latest models have now dual chips. I ordered the Aiyima AO7 . Also powered by the tpa3255 chip. It was reviewed and measured by Amir late last year. Did not measure with flying colors but good enough to be recommended. Will be coupling a 6N3 tube preamp.

This will not replace my DA9 anyway. Just doing it for the sake of learning and love for the hobby.....

Last edited:

ShinMolina

Its Breeze BRZHIFI TPA3255A. It was Breeze's first offering of 3255s.
Is the one shown in the picture attached the one you have?

I'm waiting for my DA-9, should come in the next days. In my case, I'm looking to replace the BRZHIFI because of the lack of a remote. But the sound is perfect and has a lot of juice inside. Drives a pair of Dali Spektor 2 with the volume knob at 10 o'clock.

Attachments

• BRZHIFI TPA3255.png
    BRZHIFI TPA3255.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 124

SOUNDSONIC

I'm waiting for my DA-9, should come in the next days. In my case, I'm looking to replace the BRZHIFI because of the lack of a remote. But the sound is perfect and has a lot of juice inside. Drives a pair of Dali Spektor 2 with the volume knob at 10 o'clock.

Yes. Exactly the same. Its a power-packed class d amp. But you will be amazed when your DA9 plays your fav music. Youve got nice speakers. Im sure they pair perfectly with your DA9.

Regards...

ShinMolina

Yes. Exactly the same. Its a power-packed class d amp. But you will be amazed when your DA9 plays your fav music. Youve got nice speakers. Im sure they pair perfectly with your DA9.

Regards...
Amazing! Now I'm more excited about the DA-9 arriving. It has just cleared customs.

The BRZHIFI is already good enough, if it performs as any other TPA3255 is like top of the class for the price. But it's like a dead brick, it just amplifies and that's it. No input selection, no remote, no presets...

Clayton_78

It seems that BRZHIFI listened to their complaints and launched a model with remote control, two analog inputs and one USB (DAC).
Let's shop together on AliExpress with coupons from new users!
Get your $5.50 in coupons!
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMWuKu7
Do you know if the internal power supply of this model you have is 36V or 48V?
My TPA3255 has a 48V power supply.

ShinMolina

It seems that BRZHIFI listened to their complaints and launched a model with remote control, two analog inputs and one USB (DAC).
Let's shop together on AliExpress with coupons from new users!
Get your $5.50 in coupons!
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMWuKu7
Do you know if the internal power supply of this model you have is 36V or 48V?
My TPA3255 has a 48V power supply.
I saw that one. The design is not apealing, at least for me. The one I had in mind while deciding for the DA-9 was this one. It also has a remote and balanced inputs, like the DA-9.

I ended up deciding for the DA-9 because of the Infineon amplifiers and better design in my opinion. The BRZHIFI from the link uses some LM1875 which generally report worse performance than modern digital amplifiers.

PD: I just measured my TPA3255 with a polymeter and it indicated exactly 40.0V between the V+ and V- of the power supply's output.

Last edited:

Clayton_78

I saw that one. The design is not apealing, at least for me. The one I had in mind while deciding for the DA-9 was this one. It also has a remote and balanced inputs, like the DA-9.

I ended up deciding for the DA-9 because of the Infineon amplifiers and better design in my opinion. The BRZHIFI from the link uses some LM1875 which generally report worse performance than modern digital amplifiers.

PD: I just measured my TPA3255 with a polymeter and it indicated exactly 40.0V between the V+ and V- of the power supply's output.

Thank you very much for measuring the power supply output.
I always wanted to know what voltage BRZHIFI is using on this amplifier.
I'm more and more curious about the sound of Chip Infineon, because if it's better than TPA, it should come close or maybe be the same as my AB Mosfet, but consuming little energy, generating little heat and taking up little space.
If it's not too much to ask, I'd like you to make a quick comparison of your impressions between TPA3255 and DA9 when your DA9 arrives.
Thank you very much
Greetings

Top Bottom