• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

mario_rouge

You can easily cite the ground loop as the cause, but it is extremely rare for a ground loop to cause a failure.
in my case the xlr cables have solved the problem of interference with the gpu of my computer

ohnonotagain

Well, since they’re in stock in the local Amazon (the first came from a different country’s Amazon), it won’t cost anything to try another! Might as well see if it comes from a different batch.
The second DA-9 arrived, the unit is completely silent and there's next to no hiss from the speakers. (I think these B&O bookshelf speakers are rather sensitive, and their frequency response is skewed towards the treble too.) I'm using RCA inputs, and they're fine. Although it would be nice if the screen didn't say "Unbalanced" on it :)

I tried a Sabaj A10a as well, as it was half the price of the DA-9, but it made a faint irritating buzzing sound in the speakers, and the control knob felt loose. It was a backup option for if the DA-9 didn't work out, and I'm glad I'm able to send it back.

Notbn

Ordered a DA-9 as it's just the right size to sit nicely on top of a Mac Mini.

I'm sending it straight back due to the constant whee-whee-whee-whee-whee whining sound that you can change the pitch of by adjusting the brightness but can't make go away completely. When the amp is sat on a desktop, there's just too much noise coming from the unit for it to be in any way acceptable. And sorry, but when you buy a brand new unit, you don't want to have to put magic tape on its innards to solve a design flaw, you want it to just work out of the box.

Pity, as it's a very nice-looking unit, and it sounds good too. There is some residual hiss from the speakers, more even than some of my vintage kit puts out, and that's disappointing.

Mine did the same thing. It went back.

mccririck

I bought mine recently on ebay used (the seller said they bought it for review - not sure if that's true but it was in fantastic condition all boxed etc). I bought on ebay because it seemed very hard to get it shipped to UK for a good price.

Anyway I notice two things with mine:

1) I notice a whee-whee-whee-whee noise when I get close to it. I don't use it as a desktop amp so I don't notice this from my listening position, however is there a way to stop it? What is causing it?

2) Sometimes it seems to have frozen when i go to play music and I have up unplug the power and plug it back in to rectify this. Is this a common problem?

Toku

Major Contributor
I bought mine recently on ebay used (the seller said they bought it for review - not sure if that's true but it was in fantastic condition all boxed etc). I bought on ebay because it seemed very hard to get it shipped to UK for a good price.

Anyway I notice two things with mine:

1) I notice a whee-whee-whee-whee noise when I get close to it. I don't use it as a desktop amp so I don't notice this from my listening position, however is there a way to stop it? What is causing it?

2) Sometimes it seems to have frozen when i go to play music and I have up unplug the power and plug it back in to rectify this. Is this a common problem?
Is such noise coming out of the speakers all the time?
Does the noise continue even if I disconnect all DA-9 input connections?
Does frozen mean no sound?

mccririck

Is such noise coming out of the speakers all the time?
Does the noise continue even if I disconnect all DA-9 input connections?
Does frozen mean no sound?
The noise is coming from the unit not the speakers, as far as I can tell.

Frozen means yes there is no sound as it doesn't start up properly, it freezes. It seems to happen when I turn it off with the remote and then try to start it again later.

Toku

Major Contributor
The noise is coming from the unit not the speakers, as far as I can tell.

Frozen means yes there is no sound as it doesn't start up properly, it freezes. It seems to happen when I turn it off with the remote and then try to start it again later.
The two symptoms you have found have been reported so far.
The first noise is generated from the core of the internal power circuit. The second freeze problem should have been improved with the current product.
Perhaps the DA-9 you got was re-sold after it was returned due to a complaint in the past.
If possible, I suggest returning it.

mccririck

The two symptoms you have found have been reported so far.
The first noise is generated from the core of the internal power circuit. The second freeze problem should have been improved with the current product.
Perhaps the DA-9 you got was re-sold after it was returned due to a complaint in the past.
If possible, I suggest returning it.
Do you think they would accept a return when I bought it on eBay?

CharlesC

Any comments on using the Bluetooth input on the DA-9 vs connecting to a SA-9 in front of a DA-9? Thanks.

threni

Major Contributor
Do you think they would accept a return when I bought it on eBay?
You're in the UK. They (the eBay seller, not the manufacturer - your transaction was nothing to do with the latter) have no choice but to accept it for return as it's faulty and it was not sold as "not working" or "parts only" presumably. Popular misconception but UK law simply precludes you from deciding not to refund someone if you sell them a lemon.

mccririck

You're in the UK. They (the eBay seller, not the manufacturer - your transaction was nothing to do with the latter) have no choice but to accept it for return as it's faulty and it was not sold as "not working" or "parts only" presumably. Popular misconception but UK law simply precludes you from deciding not to refund someone if you sell them a lemon.
Ok but it's been a couple of months now

threni

Major Contributor
Ok but it's been a couple of months now
It does look like you might not get much help from eBay if it's that old. If you bought through paypal you're still in time to open a case though.

Toku

Major Contributor
Any comments on using the Bluetooth input on the DA-9 vs connecting to a SA-9 in front of a DA-9? Thanks.
Does SA-9 mean SU-9?
Whether you use Bluetooth or SU-9 depends on the speaker system you use and the sound quality you want.
The sound quality of Bluetooth has evolved these days, so it is enough to listen to music normally.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is anyone having an issue where DA-9 loses its memory?
After turn unit on/off using remote (standby) all settings are lost, I have to manually setup everything (brightness/input/volume etc.)
I already did factory reset but it didn't help.
Any ideas? @SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu

fluxcapacitor

Is anyone having an issue where DA-9 loses its memory?
After turn unit on/off using remote (standby) all settings are lost, I have to manually setup everything (brightness/input/volume etc.)
I already did factory reset but it didn't help.
Any ideas? @SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu
Yes mine does same.First two units had smsl logo frozen issue then they (smsl) solved it with New units by resetting at start up.my unit resets all settings every time i start it up. Smsl simply screwed up with Da9 .

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Damn, the funny thing is at the beginning for the first ~2 months everything worked ok.
Today suddenly the problem occurred.
I wonder is there any possibility to make some firmware upgrade (as there is no any USB input, maybe Bluetooth can bu somehow used?, assuming that SMSL is going to release any)
@SMSL-Mandy

Last edited:

Poultrygeist

I only use the DA-9 on a screen porch and it's brought inside after each use and not plugged in. I EQ'ed the bass for it's sub output but haven't noticed any loss of memory. With the handy remote I can't imagine a loss of settings being a huge deal. If they change I would think it would default to the originals which sound very good.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
It is a big deal.
I'm using it in my stereo system in a living room. So the unit is standing like 3-4 meters from me. Setting everything each time I turn it on is not an easy task with such small screen, basically I have to go to the unit.
And I'm using it with XLR input, maximally dimmed screen and soft clipping on.
Each time I turn on the unit settings are: SE, maximum brightness, soft clipping off

Please don't make excuses for the manufacturer. Unit is half broken.

Poultrygeist

It is a big deal.
I'm using it in my stereo system in a living room. So the unit is standing like 3-4 meters from me. Setting everything each time I turn it on is not an easy task with such small screen, basically I have to go to the unit.
And I'm using it with XLR input, maximally dimmed screen and soft clipping on.
Each time I turn on the unit settings are: SE, maximum brightness, soft clipping off

Please don't make excuses for the manufacturer. Unit is half broken.

Sell it. Life's too short to keep an amp that you don't care.

Top Bottom