• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apos sucks ass . I have bought 2-3 different items from them they claimed to be in stock and never were . I even emailed them on this amp and they told be it was in stock and I just got an email that says end of May now. I don’t like being lied to .

I bought mine from Shenzenaudio and told them I required DHL shipping which they kindly didn't charge extra for. I've never had a bad shopping experience with Shenzenaudio which is far more than I can say for AMAZON!

But being objective, many retailers do not inventory products these days. A warehouse is nearby and a delay is likely but also short. Giving the benefit of the doubt here.

I personally hate Aliexpress because many of their vendors are unreliable.

jlm70

... they warn that constant display use will burn it out prematurely, obviously the brighter you have it set. I really like that it shuts off after 30 seconds. We really don't need the pretty lights when we're listening to music, we know exactly how loud everything is, right? A lot of AV receivers do this even from the mid 90's, they actually shut off the power going to the display in an effort to improve sound quality. And back then many were dot-matrix led's!
(1) correct: "burn it out" (weaker leds/brightness) not burned image. Anyhow... it's clear leds are not immortal :)
(2) hihi... I already had a Technics multiband equaliser in the 80's, with spectrum analyzer, within my "DJ" rack (Aiwa AD-WX909, Teac oversampling CD, mixer, etc.). Probably those moving bands are still in my head :)))) Nope... love looking at that ambra RME dancing spectre, from time to time ;)

jokan

Lights are always cool, nice to look at, especially if they are mcintosh blue.
Or if they are VFD spectrum analysers. Which I can easily get and retrofit but they make noise, literally make noise.

I had a car audio 7band eq with spectrum analyser, it used a fluorescent light bulb! I even had the half DIN slot loading cassette player to go with it. Those were fun days. I started in the high end car audio in 92. That was when things in car audio stepped up a few notches. But the cars back then made so much noise, spark noise, alternator noise. I used to use a microcassette recorder that I extended the tape head and sniff for noise and clean area's for a solid grounding point. And of course we started with the seats out back then. Not in the lower end cheap car audio shops, but we catered to a high end customer so we had a lot of fun in those days. I'm still very much a bass-head!

jokan

LED/OLED question was answered by SMSL official via instagram earlier. The screen is indeed LED as many have suspected, I was wrong!

I'm partially pleased by this since LED will outlast OLED, but my amp volume is set to 60-65 on the volume dial, it's always showing balanced signal. It will burn an image into the display if I crank up the display. I use my RME as a preamp so volume control is all performed by the RME. I have the display all the way down, but at night I can see the display. Which to me is extremely annoying. It maybe nit picking, but to me it's annoying. I have stated the whole time since the DA-8s came out that the amplifier was never turned off, but the display was turned off! Music or something is playing in the background 24-7 unless I leave my house which hardly ever happens. The volume gets turned down, that's about it.

The thermal paste I applied has set now, and when I use both my tube amplifier connected via RCA there is no noise, with the factory dabs of paste, there was immense levels of noise with the tube amplifier turned on. The sound quality and functionality of the DA-9 amplifier remains unchanged and impeccable.

I continue to endorse this amplifier and regard it in the highest regard regardless of it's price. I do believe the term game changer does apply with this amplifier.

magic44ken

SMSL DA-9 + RME ADI2 DAC fs connected via XLR. RCA outputs connected to Tube amp.
I encountered immense white noise. I found that very odd as there was no noise with the SMSL DA-8s in the same exact position and cables.
I had replaced the factory thermal grease with HY883, a pretty highly rated grease intended for CPUs which left the DA8s running cooler than the HDF audio rack.
So just now, I removed all of the factory thermal grease/paste from my DA-9. It has yet to cure, but the white noise is gone. I can now use the XLR's connected to the RME DAC, and the RCA outputs connected to my valve amplifier. Noise is gone entirely. I chose this paste from the materials used and it's high reviews when I bought the DA8s. Apparently the HY 883 nano-particulate structure, micronized aluminum and zinc oxide, it's non-conductive also. It cures "hard" but can be removed. When I removed the bottom of the DA-9 I was shocked at how the two power chips didn't have an even coat, or even full coverage of the amplifier chipsets. Very haphazardly sorted squirted on, and what looked like a finger to slightly even it out.
In conclusion, upgrading the paste removed all the noise that was induced by turning on my tube amplifier that was connected via RCA from the RME DAC. The original thermal paste is not put on cleanly, or even spread uniformly between the two chips. Replacing the thermal paste eliminated the white noise that the tube amplifier was picking up, and or putting out. The performance/sound of the DA-9 remains unchanged I expect it'll run cooler once the paste sets and hardens.

If you are so inclined to replace and remove the original paste, you can use rubbing alcohol, which I don't recommend. I used spray type flux remover on lint free shop towels. It takes off the original paste without leaving any trace that you were ever in there except for the silver coloured paste and not the white cheap thermal grease. And grease is really what it is. It wasn't intended for ultimate performance of cooling or for better thermal conductivity. Especially how the factory had it squirted on. At least 60% of the two chips had zero paste on them.

This paste has an inadvertent benefit of helping reduce EMI/RFI. It's available in various sized tubes, comes with a finger glove, a plastic spreader. Easily found on Amazon. I bought the 2mg tube.

I will let you guys know if my amp suffers any ill effects. I highly doubt it since I had zero issues with the same paste on the DA8s.

Happy listening folks!

PS, use precision 2mm wrenches/hex screwdrivers, the screws are really cheap material, you want to make sure that the hex screwdriver or whatever tool you use goes all the way in. The screws are extremely soft.

Thanks for sharing your mods for all us. Is there any chance you can get a picture where to apply the thermal paste? This makes it lot easier for those who are new to this.

magic44ken

LED/OLED question was answered by SMSL official via instagram earlier. The screen is indeed LED as many have suspected, I was wrong!

I'm partially pleased by this since LED will outlast OLED, but my amp volume is set to 60-65 on the volume dial, it's always showing balanced signal. It will burn an image into the display if I crank up the display. I use my RME as a preamp so volume control is all performed by the RME. I have the display all the way down, but at night I can see the display. Which to me is extremely annoying. It maybe nit picking, but to me it's annoying. I have stated the whole time since the DA-8s came out that the amplifier was never turned off, but the display was turned off! Music or something is playing in the background 24-7 unless I leave my house which hardly ever happens. The volume gets turned down, that's about it.

The thermal paste I applied has set now, and when I use both my tube amplifier connected via RCA there is no noise, with the factory dabs of paste, there was immense levels of noise with the tube amplifier turned on. The sound quality and functionality of the DA-9 amplifier remains unchanged and impeccable.

I continue to endorse this amplifier and regard it in the highest regard regardless of it's price. I do believe the term game changer does apply with this amplifier.

I think the best thing is to submit a feedback to SMSL to see if they will add a setting for us to turn off or on or auto shut down after specify time.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
What is SMSL’s handle on Instagram? I searched and nothing obvious came up...

jokan

What is SMSL’s handle on Instagram? I searched and nothing obvious came up...

On instagram I messaged ShenzenAudio. They're official outlet/seller.
I messaged @SMSL_Official on twitter for the information regarding the LED or OLED question. Ask SMSL on twitter to offer an update so the LED screen can be turned off all the way please! haha. It's not like it has a display with moving pictures, it's going to burn or fade with a balanced or unbalanced with the volume level if you are using a DAC with level control and using your DAC for volume control.

Cheers, hope this helps you get in touch with SMSL.

mx2

So just now, I removed all of the factory thermal grease/paste from my DA-9. It has yet to cure, but the white noise is gone. I can now use the XLR's connected to the RME DAC, and the RCA outputs connected to my valve amplifier. Noise is gone entirely. I chose this paste from the materials used and it's high reviews when I bought the DA8s. Apparently the HY 883 nano-particulate structure, micronized aluminum and zinc oxide, it's non-conductive also. It cures "hard" but can be removed. When I removed the bottom of the DA-9 I was shocked at how the two power chips didn't have an even coat, or even full coverage of the amplifier chipsets. Very haphazardly sorted squirted on, and what looked like a finger to slightly even it out.
In conclusion, upgrading the paste removed all the noise that was induced by turning on my tube amplifier that was connected via RCA from the RME DAC. The original thermal paste is not put on cleanly, or even spread uniformly between the two chips. Replacing the thermal paste eliminated the white noise that the tube amplifier was picking up, and or putting out. The performance/sound of the DA-9 remains unchanged I expect it'll run cooler once the paste sets and hardens...

I replaced mine with Artic MX4 for both the metal plate to the chip (which had good coverage from the factory) and between the plate to the aluminum bottom plate of the amp (which had mediocre coverage). It took like most of a tube to get good coverage LOL. I didn't notice a difference in the sound but I had the amp open so why not :p

What I thought helped was using a RCA to XLR cable to connect to the balanced inputs. Seems to have removed a hint of harshness vs using the RCA inputs. :)

SOUNDSONIC

Mine is still at China customs ;). I hope all the noise will be confiscated in there and all I receive will be a clean sounding DA-9...:D.

jokan

Mine is still at China customs ;). I hope all the noise will be confiscated in there and all I receive will be a clean sounding DA-9...:D.

Me too, me too. I always deal exclusively with Shenzenaudio and after I order and make the payment I contact customer service and ask for DHL shipping. They wrap the entire box in yellow tape, looks like a narcotics package! It's kind of hilarious. Upon receipt, I immediately took isopropyl alcohol and wiped the entire box down and my hands and then washed my hands just in case. Though if transported in an unpressurised aeroplane I doubt that anything would survive, but better safe than catch that nasty virus!

jokan

I replaced mine with Artic MX4 for both the metal plate to the chip (which had good coverage from the factory) and between the plate to the aluminum bottom plate of the amp (which had mediocre coverage). It took like most of a tube to get good coverage LOL. I didn't notice a difference in the sound but I had the amp open so why not :p

What I thought helped was using a RCA to XLR cable to connect to the balanced inputs. Seems to have removed a hint of harshness vs using the RCA inputs. :)

XLR's and RCA have a different impedance within the circuitry, the XLR's are higher. You'll also have hot/cold/ground so it's a more isolated connection to begin with along with a higher output voltage which will by default lower the potentiality for noise enterint.
With the paste, now that you've applied yours, I'm not surprised that there are inconsistencies in application as I'm sure it's done by hand and not robotics. Be sure you didn't over apply the material. It really only needs to be 1-2mm thick. I used some grease that has built in nano-particulates that are non-conductive and help reject EMI. A 2gram tube which was more than enough cost me $8 shipped through amazon. But be aware that you've broken your warranty! And you are solely responsible as I don't endorse such action. I took the risk because I was curious why turning on my tube amp in conjunction with the DA-9 would cause noise. The grease cured it instantly and happily it has not returned. I haven't noticed any audible difference by applying the new grease over the cheapest possible grease. That white stuff eventually hardens and turns into flakes. Though by then the amp would probably be dead as that process takes over a decade!..

I hope you like your DA-9 as much as I am enjoying mine. I'm really staggered that they can offer such performance at this ridiculously low price. But then again it's only 2 chips, op-amp, 4 coupling capacitors, some surface mount resistors, and the PSU. It's not expensive to mass produce any of these items. What is impressive is that they thought of topology and layout. There is a clear progression of know-how that is fast growing within SMSL. Hopefully they won't make enough money and then sell their company. Fiio is another great high quality but affordable company that makes excellent devices.

You might want to check once more in a day or two to see if you have over-applied the grease. It's non-conductive but it's better to keep excess material out.

jokan

New owners of the DA-9, SMSL has an official twitter account and they do reply with single emoticons or a few words.
Let's all ask for improvements in the firmware. Maybe they can expedite any updates. I keep asking them to make the display turn off completely with delay, or through the settings menu. Turning the knob would instantly wake up the screen anyway.

I used my DA-8s the outgoing model and literally never turned it off since new other than a handful of times. The DA-8s ran cooler, but I wouldn't say that the DA-9 runs even luke warm. It's just above room temperature currently 22degrees C or 72F in my room.

I'm beyond pleasantly surprised with the improvements made in one generation. I also knew of the critical flaws of the balanced input on the outgoing model. For instance they said it used OPA1612 op amps, none were found in mine and I looked everywhere! It also wasn't a true balanced design and couldn't handle a full 4v XLR input without audible distortion. I think that's why the new model has soft clipping.

I hope they don't decide to release a new v2 model in a few of months. The DA8s never had any updates so hopefully this time they'll at least give us some usability firmware updates.

jokan

Does this help?

PSU is Morsun LOF225-20B24

I had mine apart earlier today but was unable to unlock or disconnect the PSU cords to the main board. Is there a locking mechanism that I couldn't see? Or do I just need to pull a lot harder to remove the short pigtail wires? Please let me know as I have some plans to hopefully help reduce EMI intrusion.

I managed to apply the tape which is 20mm wide, 0.1mm thick. I used about a 20x30mm section that I could access without unplugging anything directly behind the LCD and over the yellow film/tape that serves as protection. It made a very slight difference to the sound above 8khz. Somehow the treble seemed faster to attack and release. I wouldn't say it was better, or louder but different yes. I also had the display at the lowest setting. I'm going to try it with the display at it's brightest level.

If you can offer any tips on how to unplug the PSU from the board, I would be extremely grateful!

Ok, I cranked the LCD to full brightness and there is no noticeable difference with brightness, but there is a slight difference in sound with such a small section of tape. I was expecting the brightness of the screen to have a direct correlation to any more sonic changes. I suppose with the tape or without is the big difference. I honestly don't know if I prefer the sound with the tape on or off. It's sort of a mixed bag. I need to get at the PSU itself to apply some tape there then I will have a much better grasp of how effective and how it affects the sound.

Attachments

• Oyaide Electric MWA-010T.jpg
    Oyaide Electric MWA-010T.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

jokan

Just reporting in, my DA-9 has been playing non-stop now for about 22 hours, zero noise issues or temp issues. And I was listening to a podcast of all things.

SOUNDSONIC

Just reporting in, my DA-9 has been playing non-stop now for about 22 hours, zero noise issues or temp issues. And I was listening to a podcast of all things.

Great work, sir. I hope mine will replicate yours. Would you be so kind enough to share a step-by-step DIY (with pics would help) how you did the job done. And surely your first legacy for the DA-9 performance improvement. I know its a tall order but this is a huge assistance to all beginners like me. Thanks for your indulgence.....

jokan

I'll get to it when I have a reason to reopen the amplifier.
I will just warn you guys again that the screws are of the lowest grade aluminium I've seen.
I've ordered some stainless screws but the factory screws are not only very flat (which I was able to order) but they also seem to be a smaller diameter head which might be a problem.

Once I'm back in there I will let you guys know. What little mods I've done I've sent direct messages with pictures to you guys, I think. If not, I'll be sure to send you pics. I won't widely post pics of actively voiding warranties.

mx2

I had mine apart earlier today but was unable to unlock or disconnect the PSU cords to the main board. Is there a locking mechanism that I couldn't see? Or do I just need to pull a lot harder to remove the short pigtail wires? Please let me know as I have some plans to hopefully help reduce EMI intrusion.

There's plastic clip which has to be depressed but other than that it just takes a bit of pressure to detach.

Had the amp for a bunch of days now...still looving it. :)

My only complaint so far? 3 rubber feet instead of 4 are a bit tippy. -.-

jokan

thanks, for the heads up. I just was being too gentle! I figured as much.
I have no problems with "tippy" at all and I have an acrylic mini rack for the amp and my RME DAC.
remember 3 points lie on a plain, the 4th point never will. you can replace and add your own though, that won't void the warranty for anything other than the rubber feet!

I'm loving this amplifier too. There is very little to complain about that I've found. I'm running a nominal 2.7 ohm pair of speakers and there are no issues. I did encounter noise when i connected my tube amp which runs single ended connections, it's also only about 5inches away from the DA9. I replaced the grease with one designed for higher powered cpu's with nano tube technology, noise disappeared entirely without compromising the original sound quality. Infeneon is a subsidiary of International Rectifier Company. SPEC Corp out of japan uses their highest grade amplifier chips (their amplifier is up to 98% efficient vs 92%!) Their Class D amps are meant and designed to sound like a high powered triode tube amplifier, this is the reason why I bought the DA8s, the outgoing model. This new model is so much better it's sort of crazy how one generation made such a drastic improvement. Also the outgoing DA8s had balanced xlr inputs but the circuit was not a balanced input design. The old amp would clip much, much earlier. On the DA9, I have the soft clipping turned off, the amplifier is at a fixed 65 on the knob, and my RME does all of the pre-amp duties. I would have to leave the room to get the volume high enough to induce clipping.

All in, this amp is a bit of a game changer. Even with that PSU module I was hoping for something a bit higher quality, but then again, price point is king.

Thanks for your help about the molex plugs. I'll just be less gentle! Mine arrived on Monday Morning, it's Saturday afternoon here in Tokyo. I'm very happy with the entire package as a complete amplifier. Now if we could get SMSL to give us some firmware updates like being able to turn the display off entirely and turn back on with a twist of the knob, or push of a button. Would be nice to have variable sub out, but I think that would require a new board with another op-amp to cover variable output. Maybe some graphics changes? But it's still brand new, they'll figure out what the people want. I'm sure they are watching this board anyway!

Last edited:
Top Bottom