• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA-9 stuck on "S.M.S.L" boot screen (won't power on)

fluxcapacitor

Hi,
I have the same problem here. I see that nobody commented in this thread since a few days ago... any news on a potential solution?

It looks like a common problem, and replacements are not working either.

SMSL should provide a solution.

So far, the only option is to unplug and plug the cable from the main socket. Unacceptable.
Only solution is to return it and wait for SMSL to announce a solution, if that never happens, stay away from DA9 and look elsewhere.

jccaudio

Only solution is to return it and wait for SMSL to announce a solution, if that never happens, stay away from DA9 and look elsewhere.
It doesn´t really look like a solution but I suppose it is the best we can do now. Unless we still consider the DA9 a good amp and just accept the inconvenience of plugging and unplugging the cable every time. Thanks for your reply.

dunkink

I do not have the issue not even once. Is it possible because you pair it with SU-9? Just curious.

fluxcapacitor

I do not have the issue not even once. Is it possible because you pair it with SU-9? Just curious.
not related to any device connected, even without any connection problematic devices locks up all the time. My 2nd unit has not this issue but has very high DC on R channel.There's always something with this unit :)

cml21

Same as @fluxcapacitor, my unit(s) bootlock whether hooked up balanced, unbalanced, or plugged into nothing at all. I'm on my second unit; it's better in the sense that it happens less frequently, but one lockup in twelve starts (compared to once in three) doesn't make me any happier. So, we'll see if Apos wants to do another exchange, but I'm just as happy with a refund at this point.

OP
G

gcbrink

I returned the first defective unit to Apos, and purchased a replacement from Shenzhen Audio via Amazon.com. The second unit came with a different "QC" document, so I was hopeful it came from a different, working, batch of DA-9s. Unfortunately, the 2nd unit also has the same defect and it's going back to Amazon. I just ordered a Sabaj A20a, which is close to the same amp, but I hope just different enough to avoid this problem. (FYI, I sent a SMSL SU-9 back to Apos as well, and replaced it with the wonderful Denafrips Ares II R2R dac).

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
SMSL AO200 seems to be a similar priced/internals alternative to DA-9.

OP
G

gcbrink

Thanks, I noticed that one too. However, the Sabaj will be arriving any day now. I'll probably use it until I decide on a DIY Hypex or Purifi based amp. The defective SMSL gear had me looking for alternatives, and now I'm pretty intrigued by these other options.

Argomedo

I receive this product a couple of weeks ago and today i turn on the power amp and immediately got stuck on SMSL logo.

Apparently this is one of the few problems that this unit has.

I am using the brightness to almost full and balanced input.

Duetta

I too received one of these units about two months back and experienced the same exact problem. It didn't begin freezing upon start-up on the first day that I used it, but by the fourth day, the issue had emerged and was repeating every day. I sent mine back to APOS - and will wait to see if SMSL fixes the issue before ordering a second. The form factor was great for a desktop setup - which is how I intended to use it.

Sound86

Just stumbled on this. I have a DA-9 from DUDO Audio store on Ali and experience the exact same issue. Using bluetooth for now and yeah display on lowest brightness. I turn it on via the front knob, since the remote is still packaged. After unplugging power and restarting it works though. Kind of a hassle, but otherwise its a nice little amp paired with SMSLs Tabebuia speakers. Wonder if I should make the effort of returning it to china

Last edited:

mononoaware

Just stumbled on this. I have a DA-9 from DUDO Audio store on Ali and experience the exact same issue. Using bluetooth for now and yeah display on lowest brightness. I turn it on via the front knob, since the remote is still packaged. After unplugging power and restarting it works though. Kind of a hassle, but otherwise its a nice little amp paired with SMSLs Tabebuia speakers. Wonder if I should make the effort of returning it to china

Sorry to hear.
I remember suggesting DA-9 to you in the SMSL Tabebuia thread.
Back then I did think the issue was more isolated than the common problem it seems to be now.
An extra step introduced by a flaw of the product would be annoying.

SMSL AO200 seems to be the reliable alternative over DA-9.

Sound86

Sorry to hear.
I remember suggesting DA-9 to you in the SMSL Tabebuia thread.
Back then I did think the issue was more isolated than the common problem it seems to be now.
An extra step introduced by a flaw of the product would be annoying.

SMSL AO200 seems to be the reliable alternative over DA-9.

Ah dont feel sorry, the DA-9 was on my radar anyway and the sound quality (when it works) is rather nice. The AO200 is in my shopping card now too. It seems to be just a better DA-9 (faulty or not) and I might order one as soon as a discount is available.

mononoaware

Ah dont feel sorry, the DA-9 was on my radar anyway and the sound quality (when it works) is rather nice. The AO200 is in my shopping card now too. It seems to be just a better DA-9 (faulty or not) and I might order one as soon as a discount is available.

One extra feature of the AO200 is a USB input, which is utilised from the Bluetooth chipset/board.
A quick search on Ali reveals many examples of “Bluetooth 5.0” boards supporting fixed 16bit 48kHz USB playback.

This extremely informative comment by another ASR user confirms this, and some “odd” behaviour regarding the PC it is connected to (I think this can be solved simply by turning the AO200 power off before PC shutdown).

Sound86

One extra feature of the AO200 is a USB input, which is utilised from the Bluetooth chipset/board.
A quick search on Ali reveals many examples of “Bluetooth 5.0” boards supporting fixed 16bit 48kHz USB playback.

This extremely informative comment by another ASR user confirms this, and some “odd” behaviour regarding the PC it is connected to (I think this can be solved simply by turning the AO200 power off before PC shutdown).

Yeah its nice to have and sorely missing on most bluetooth enabled amps. Though I wonder if the internal DAC is any good or even supports HiRes audio. In the end I will buy another DAC anyway. I have my eyes on a Hidizs S9 Pro for balanced TRRS connection to the SMSL

mononoaware

Though I wonder if the internal DAC is any good or even supports HiRes audio.

From the comment I linked, it seems to resample everything to 16bit 48 kHz regardless of what you send it.

mononoaware

Hello and attention everyone with the boot-loop issue.

After searching for “SMSL DA-9” in the YouTube App, and sorting by “Date”.
I discovered about 4-5 videos about this boot-loop issue.

A person in one of these videos claimed to got a “replacement DA-9” which had the same issue, but also discovered that when they set the “Screen Brightness” to Maximum level and power cycling using the remote, the issue went away (as long as you leave DA-9 on Maximum screen brightness).

So it may be worth trying the following and see if it fixes it.

1. If stuck in boot-loop, power off at wall socket, wait, power on so you can get into the menu. Then set “Screen Brightness” to maximum level, turn off DA-9 with remote, wait, then turn on with remote (power cycle with remote).

2. If option 1 fails to fix: do the same as above, but after turning off DA-9 with remote, while DA-9 is “off/standby” turn off power at wall socket, wait, then power on with wall socket (power cycle with wall socket).
Then make sure “Screen Brightness is at Maximum and try power cycling with remote to test if DA-9 still has boot-loop issue.

Hopefully this can solve the issue for some people.
Although you will have to always use DA-9 with screen on Maximum brightness level.

Last edited:

cml21

Hello and attention everyone with the boot-loop issue.

After searching for “SMSL DA-9” in the YouTube App, and sorting by “Date”.
I discovered about 4-5 videos about this boot-loop issue.

A person in one of these videos claimed to got a “replacement DA-9” which had the same issue, but also discovered that when they set the “Screen Brightness” to Maximum level and power cycling using the remote, the issue went away (as long as you leave DA-9 on Maximum screen brightness).

So it may be worth trying the following and see if it fixes it.

1. If stuck in boot-loop, power off at wall socket, wait, power on so you can get into the menu. Then set “Screen Brightness” to maximum level, turn off DA-9 with remote, wait, then turn on with remote (power cycle with remote).

2. If option 1 fails to fix: do the same as above, but after turning off DA-9 with remote, while DA-9 is “off/standby” turn off power at wall socket, wait, then power on with wall socket (power cycle with wall socket).
Then make sure “Screen Brightness is at Maximum and try power cycling with remote to test if DA-9 still has boot-loop issue.

Hopefully this can solve the issue for some people.
Although you will have to always use DA-9 with screen on Maximum brightness level.
Hi Mono. One of those might be my videos, they're posted earlier in this thread, if useful for anyone. For my first unit, that brightness trick worked every time. I still returned that one (wanting one that just worked), and the second unit Apos sent boot-locked less often, but the brightness trick didn't work. So, that one went back too. Apos said they were expecting a new batch on 7/31 that would "include revision implemented that'd fully address the issue". Don't have a shipping tracker yet, but will let this thread know if the third time is the charm, especially if the firmware version is different or anything like that. If not, I'll just ask for my money back and move on - this has been going on since... April. :)

mononoaware

Hi Mono. One of those might be my videos, they're posted earlier in this thread, if useful for anyone. For my first unit, that brightness trick worked every time. I still returned that one (wanting one that just worked), and the second unit Apos sent boot-locked less often, but the brightness trick didn't work. So, that one went back too. Apos said they were expecting a new batch on 7/31 that would "include revision implemented that'd fully address the issue". Don't have a shipping tracker yet, but will let this thread know if the third time is the charm, especially if the firmware version is different or anything like that. If not, I'll just ask for my money back and move on - this has been going on since... April. :)

Thanks for explaining.
Hopefully the brightness fix can work for some or there is a firmware update fix.

Otherwise as you said, sending it back may be the only option.

Sound86

I tried the fix and it didnt work. Fun sidenote however, the remote stopped working after that too. Now I have to start it by unplugging the power cord and can only control it with the volume knob. SMSL really failed with this one :/

Top Bottom