• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA-9 stuck on "S.M.S.L" boot screen (won't power on)

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tried the fix and it didnt work. Fun sidenote however, the remote stopped working after that too. Now I have to start it by unplugging the power cord and can only control it with the volume knob. SMSL really failed with this one :/

Remote control programming may reset after hard power-cycle.

Press A button on remote first to reprogram after a power-cut, then try it should work.
(I should have included this in option 2)

Last edited:

Argomedo

Hello and attention everyone with the boot-loop issue.

After searching for “SMSL DA-9” in the YouTube App, and sorting by “Date”.
I discovered about 4-5 videos about this boot-loop issue.

A person in one of these videos claimed to got a “replacement DA-9” which had the same issue, but also discovered that when they set the “Screen Brightness” to Maximum level and power cycling using the remote, the issue went away (as long as you leave DA-9 on Maximum screen brightness).

So it may be worth trying the following and see if it fixes it.

1. If stuck in boot-loop, power off at wall socket, wait, power on so you can get into the menu. Then set “Screen Brightness” to maximum level, turn off DA-9 with remote, wait, then turn on with remote (power cycle with remote).

2. If option 1 fails to fix: do the same as above, but after turning off DA-9 with remote, while DA-9 is “off/standby” turn off power at wall socket, wait, then power on with wall socket (power cycle with wall socket).
Then make sure “Screen Brightness is at Maximum and try power cycling with remote to test if DA-9 still has boot-loop issue.

Hopefully this can solve the issue for some people.
Although you will have to always use DA-9 with screen on Maximum brightness level.

Thank you, i will do the trick to my unit. I will let you guys know if this works.

mononoaware

Thank you, i will do the trick to my unit. I will let you guys know if this works.

If remote stops working, please do the step in comment above by pressing A button on remote.

cml21

I received my third SMSL DA9 from Apos; they said this device would "include revision implemented that'd fully address the issue". The HW and SW versions in the settings are both (still) listed as "1.0" - but this one is booting properly. It mostly boots up as you'd expect, but sometimes that SMSL splash screen hangs for just a second, then the whole screen goes black, and the logo / splash screen comes back up, and the device boots the rest of the way. (link to vid below if anyone is interested).

So, not sure if anything is truly different, or if I just got lucky on this specific device, but I turned this guy on and off for about an hour - no issues. So, maybe now I'll plug some speakers into it and actually listen to music. :)

Boot - Hang - Reboot

fluxcapacitor

I received my third SMSL DA9 from Apos; they said this device would "include revision implemented that'd fully address the issue". The HW and SW versions in the settings are both (still) listed as "1.0" - but this one is booting properly. It mostly boots up as you'd expect, but sometimes that SMSL splash screen hangs for just a second, then the whole screen goes black, and the logo / splash screen comes back up, and the device boots the rest of the way. (link to vid below if anyone is interested).

So, not sure if anything is truly different, or if I just got lucky on this specific device, but I turned this guy on and off for about an hour - no issues. So, maybe now I'll plug some speakers into it and actually listen to music. :)

Boot - Hang - Reboot
my so called fixed revision unit does the same but with every cold/warm start up, all setting are reset to defaults...brightness, volume, bass/treble settings etc. all are reset to defaults. they solved logo freezing issue with another isseu.SMLS is another brand to stay away for me.

mikolajek

The same issue has started happening to me approx. a month ago, and I've been running my DA-9 since May 2021 already. Have you also experienced this "bug delay" or were your units faulty from the very beginning?

BTW - the trick with brightness doesn't work in my case. I've actually set the brightness level to the highest level possible when initially configuring the module. Only re-plugging works, which is not acceptable...

@SMSL-Mandy / @SMSL_Liu - are you guys able to advise us here?

Poultrygeist

I've enjoyed the DA-9 for several months but today I accidentally pushed the wrong button on the remote and now the display reads "searching" and doesn't play. Turned it off and on and still it's locked with the screen showing "searching". Any solutions?

DACslut

I've enjoyed the DA-9 for several months but today I accidentally pushed the wrong button on the remote and now the display reads "searching" and doesn't play. Turned it off and on and still it's locked with the screen showing "searching". Any solutions?
Try unplugging it.

Poultrygeist

Thanks and now she's working as good as ever. The EQ settings allow me to dial in the open baffles to exactly where they sound best. From now on I'll make adjustments without the remote.

P1010010 2.jpeg

Sound86

Im so glad I sold my DA-9 months ago. Sad a unit this good theoretically has as many issues.

Though I do wonder if the almost the same AO200 has similar problems.

mccririck

Mine does the freezing on the boot screen too. Have to unplug the power socket and plug it back in again for it to start up properly. is there a way to fix this?

mononoaware

Mine does the freezing on the boot screen too. Have to unplug the power socket and plug it back in again for it to start up properly. is there a way to fix this?
I posted a comment here with some steps which may be a possible fix for some users.
Hopefully it helps.

Sound86

I ordered an AO200 at a steep discount on Prime Day. Since its basically a DA-9 with minor enhancements, Im really curious to see if it performs better and does not have the issues of my previous DA-9.

lowtide1000

Im so glad I sold my DA-9 months ago. Sad a unit this good theoretically has as many issues.

Though I do wonder if the almost the same AO200 has similar problems.
Been using my AO200 since March, and I haven't experienced any issues so far.

Top Bottom