• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 65 26.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 147 60.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 17 7.0%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL DA-6 stereo desktop class D amplifier. It was sent to me by Shenzhen Audio and costs US $99.
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Review class D.jpg

Ah, what a pleasure it was to unpack the DA-6 and see this nice thin packaging! That niceness extends to the back, fixing one of my main complaints with compact amplifiers:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Review back panel RCA class D.jpg

Instead of stacking the binding posts on top of each other and thereby making it very difficult to put large binding posts, they are lined up horizontally. This allowed me to connect my locking banana plugs into them with relative ease. Of course we are saddled with large laptop power supply running at 24 volts at nearly 7 amps.

A remote control is provided to navigate through the menus to change bass/treble settings, volume control, etc. Same can be done with the front panel and rotary control.

A new Infineon class D amplifier IC is used here (didn't see the model number).

SMSL DA-6 Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Measurements.png

Relative sum of noise+distortion as expressed in SINAD lands the unit above average of some 350 amplifiers tested:

Best budget stereo amplifier review.png

I am assuming volume is controlled digitally given the perfect channel balanced. Noise performance by itself is good for the class:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier SNR Measurements.png

Frequency response in EQ bypass mode still has a bit of low frequency roll off:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Frequency Response Measurements.png

Type of speaker you drive with this little amp could benefit from being pushed to play those low frequencies. I thought I could fix that by boosting the bass setting one notch. That tool though brings a sledgehammer to a nail being put on the wall to hang a picture:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier bass boost Frequency Response Measurements.png

Oh, I forgot to mention that there is no load dependency which is something we often can't find even in expensive class D amplifiers. Not only that, the response is quite extended, going beyond 100 kHz! I guess this is what they mean by "high-resolution."

There is no warm up requirement as the unit is stable out of the box, running quite cool:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Warm up Measurements.png

Multitone performance is again good for the class:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Multitone Measurements.png

Output power is more modest than I wanted to see but I guess you can't have miracles:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Power 4 Measurements.png

SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Power 8 Measurements.png

The response though seems dependent on level and keeps changing at micro level. We see the same when we sweep with different frequencies:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Frequency vs Power 4 Measurements.png

There is no headroom as expected:
SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Max and Peak Power 4 Measurements.png

Conclusions
SMSL nails the industrial design and usability of a super compact desktop amplifier offered in attractive aluminum case. A clear white display shows the volume control and inclusion of remote control lets you place it out of the way and still change its volume. I don't usually take price into account but in this class I must. For $99 this is a lot of performance and good lucks/design.

I am happy to recommend SMSL DA-6.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

uwotm8

Well that's a nice one home/desktop audio unit with proper connectors used:)

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just wish some company would offer a reasonably priced desktop DAC/Headphone amp/speaker amp that doesn't cost as much as each of the three functions separately.

Does anyone understand that sometimes you want to use quality passive monitor speakers, sometimes headphones, and always an analog and USB/coax/optical input? And you just want it in ONE freaking BOX. With extreme advanced features like a volume control, an on-off switch, an input switch, and a headphone jack on the front panel?

Instead, they offfer me a DAC box, an HP amp box, a speaker amp box, three wall warts, and a rat's nest of wires. Jeesh!
<harrumph>

uwotm8

Remlab

Forum Donor

Music1969

Major Contributor
Channel balance vs imbalance

Tks

Major Contributor
I just wish some company would offer a reasonably priced desktop DAC/Headphone amp/speaker amp that doesn't cost as much as each of the three functions separately.

Does anyone understand that sometimes you want to use quality passive monitor speakers, sometimes headphones, and always an analog and USB/coax/optical input? And you just want it in ONE freaking BOX. With extreme advanced features like a volume control, an on-off switch, an input switch, and a headphone jack on the front panel?

Instead, they offfer me a DAC box, an HP amp box, a speaker amp box, three wall warts, and a rat's nest of wires. Jeesh!
<harrumph>
That would be pointless though, since making an all-in-one box is actually more difficult intrinsically. Companies that do this, are slowly not doing this anymore.

Imagine having a entre, a main course, and a desert at the same time, cheaper than each separately, and have said combo taste just as good as each of them separately. No one sane business does this for long even if they're able to deliver for a short while.

carlcamper

Nice review @amirm , I have ordered this unit as well as the D-6 headphone amplifier, hope you get to review that as well :)

Tks

Major Contributor
But.. the Extron XPA 1002 Plus Amplifier just reviewed, at almost half off gives more bang? Ugh, the devices and targets are so different, but when just looking at performance directly, can't help but think this should've done batter at least in some departments over some random eBay amp's hardware :\

AndreaT

Wow! It is 1972 again price wise!! Even better, as these specs were unobtainable in the second Nixon’s administration. I suggest we send to Topping HQ a couple of young engineers for their Masters in EE to bring home the relevant knowledge!
Even if I have no use for it, I might buy one as an icon of great quality/price ratio! My hat to Topping! Thank you Amir!

McFly

3255 chip amp, PS limited?

YSC

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL DA-6 stereo desktop class D amplifier. It was sent to me by Shenzhen Audio and costs US $99.
View attachment 217150
Ah, what a pleasure it was to unpack the DA-6 and see this nice thin packaging! That niceness extends to the back, fixing one of my main complaints with compact amplifiers:
View attachment 217151

Instead of stacking the binding posts on top of each other and thereby making it very difficult to put large binding posts, they are lined up horizontally. This allowed me to connect my locking banana plugs into them with relative ease. Of course we are saddled with large laptop power supply running at 24 volts at nearly 7 amps.

A remote control is provided to navigate through the menus to change bass/treble settings, volume control, etc. Same can be done with the front panel and rotary control.

A new Infineon class D amplifier IC is used here (didn't see the model number).

SMSL DA-6 Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard:
View attachment 217152
Relative sum of noise+distortion as expressed in SINAD lands the unit above average of some 350 amplifiers tested:

View attachment 217153

I am assuming volume is controlled digitally given the perfect channel balanced. Noise performance by itself is good for the class:
View attachment 217154

Frequency response in EQ bypass mode still has a bit of low frequency roll off:
View attachment 217155

Type of speaker you drive with this little amp could benefit from being pushed to play those low frequencies. I thought I could fix that by boosting the bass setting one notch. That tool though brings a sledgehammer to a nail being put on the wall to hang a picture:
View attachment 217156

Oh, I forgot to mention that there is no load dependency which is something we often can't find even in expensive class D amplifiers. Not only that, the response is quite extended, going beyond 100 kHz! I guess this is what they mean by "high-resolution."

There is no warm up requirement as the unit is stable out of the box, running quite cool:
View attachment 217157

Multitone performance is again good for the class:
View attachment 217158

Output power is more modest than I wanted to see but I guess you can't have miracles:
View attachment 217159
View attachment 217160

The response though seems dependent on level and keeps changing at micro level. We see the same when we sweep with different frequencies:
View attachment 217161

There is no headroom as expected:
View attachment 217162

Conclusions
SMSL nails the industrial design and usability of a super compact desktop amplifier offered in attractive aluminum case. A clear white display shows the volume control and inclusion of remote control lets you place it out of the way and still change its volume. I don't usually take price into account but in this class I must. For $99 this is a lot of performance and good lucks/design.

I am happy to recommend SMSL DA-6.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I just wonders if using this, paired with say a Revel M16 will it be able to deliver enough power in near field up to 2m listening distance

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just wonders if using this, paired with say a Revel M16 will it be able to deliver enough power in near field up to 2m listening distance
Personally I would get a much more powerful amp. But yes it might be enough.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Performance seems kinda meh. What's the intended use case?

Top Bottom