• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400EX DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 121 35.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 55.1%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
Are you sure it's OLED?
Until proved NOT to be every little screen is OLED.
(did the same for L70 and changed my vote when the friends here told me it's not).
I'm not trained to use crystal balls to set the level or menus :).

(multicolor falls under the same rating,my aesthetics alone,not blaming anyone for this,but even Okto got the stick when heard about burned screens).

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Sokel it's IPS
Screenshot_20221216-113515_Chrome.png
What were your words? Read, people :p
https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/806.html

Sokel

Master Contributor

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Happy to be wrong then!
(Changed to "fine" then,"great" will be when proved repiable and trouble free (software included,spared the multicolor for once).

Edit: Hope IPS's don't burn over time,I know nothing about screens.

LCDs don't burn in.

AndreaT

I guess you pay more for the digital balanced input. Gustard offers it on the X16 for almost half the price. Impeccable measurements. I wonder who is going to use the flat filters that probably spoil the distortion measurements and create tons of alias frequencies.
Thank you Amir for a wonderful review!

supercargo

Playing the silly game of ranking SINAD using decimal point
Based on off-hand comments on other reviews, I’m assuming we’re outside the realm of repeatability with these three digits of precision on SINAD?

Maybe it’s time to start bucketizing the SINAD rankings instead of tie-breaking based on measurement error.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Happy to be wrong then!
(Changed to "fine" then,"great" will be when proved repiable and trouble free (software included,spared the multicolor for once).

Edit: Hope IPS's don't burn over time,I know nothing about screens.
Older or lo density OLED don't exhibit burnings over time and can last as LED based one's (it's an old technology really).
Some back lit IPS and other TFT's (including VA, MVA... panels) exhibit smudge in cristal layer or background thanks to dust or temperature over time but it's more of a bad engineering example than particular technology problem.
I am for E-Ink - E-paper when possible (for relatively static content) personally, best regards.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Basically all Amazon Kindle tablets use E-Ink displays.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another day, another 120+ dB SINAD DAC being tested. There were like what, more than 10 this year alone? If I may suggest, decline to test these and do more speakers, headphones and IEMs reviews, which I think show more interesting results then yet another stellar DAC.

But of course thanks anyway! :)

Streamc

This is not just was DAC but akm.
Another day, another 120+ dB SINAD DAC being tested. There were like what, more than 10 this year alone? If I may suggest, decline to test these and do more speakers, headphones and IEMs reviews, which I think show more interesting results then yet another stellar DAC.

anphex

Forum Donor

I think Shenzhenaudio sees this forum mostly as free marketing. They publish their measurements themselfes in the manual on product page of the corresponding product, but they know that here is the place where by far most scientific hifi people gather.
This is also why Amir almost always gets new DACs right away, probably without asking.
I don't complain, I've benefitted from this too already, but it's time for something new instead of more and more SINAD.

Once there is a do-it-all high SINAD balanced multi-channel DAC with Dolby/DTS-Decoding and eARC I've reached the hifi Elysium.

Edit: What's interesting is that usually this DAC would get golfing Panthers en massé. Turns out there a lot of people who go for "just fine" probably considering the price and no real new value.

Last edited:
Reactions: VQR
Top Bottom