• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400EX DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 121 35.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 55.1%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL D400EX balanced DAC based on AKM4499EX chip. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $959.99
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC DNR Measurements.jpg

The D400EX is quite attractive looking with the flush controls and the grills on the sides:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC back panel Review.jpg

The latter gives it a high-end look. Alas, I am not a fan of the rotary control. It is very hard to turn, and even harder to push to register a click. Fortunately the standard SMSL remote is included so you don't have to use it. The user interface is easy to navigate (with the remote) and is the same as other newer SMSL DACs.

Note that there is an ES version using ESS DAC chip.

Note: please excuse the mistaken label on the graphs: D400 ES instead of EX. Didn't realize which unit I was testing until I took the review picture. :)

SMSL D400EX Measurements
As usual let's start with our dashboard of 1 kHz tone:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC XLR Measurements.png

I expect superb performance and that is precisely what we get. Playing the silly game of ranking SINAD using decimal point, the D400 EX easily falls in our top 20 best measured DACs:
best USB stereo dac review.png

RCA performance is not far behind:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC RCA Measurements.png

Noise performance is excellent as you can imagine:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC DNR Measurements.png

Multitone performance lands in the same bucket:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC XLR Multitone Measurements.png

Linearity is perfect:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC XLR Linearity Measurements.png

Jitter over USB is perfect but we have a tiny jitter component on toslink:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC XLR Jitter Measurements.png

It was strange to see the mid-level IMD hump:
SMSL D400 ES high-end stereo USB balanced DAC XLR IMD Measurements.png

Never seen this on non-ESS DACs.

Various filters are offered:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC XLR Filter Measurements.png

Here is their impact on frequency response:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC XLR Frequency Response Measurements.png

Using default filter #1, we get very nice wideband response for distortion+noise:
SMSL D400 EX high-end stereo USB balanced DAC XLR THD+N vs Frequency Measurements.png

Conclusions
The D400 EX performs at top of the class as expected. Price is up there and for that, you get a nicer looking case. Two minor misses are the rotary control functionality and rise in IMD distortion at mid-levels.

I am going to put the SMSL D400 EX on my recommendation list.

P.S. Sorry, I forgot to put the golfing panther on the picture of the unit.
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Good performance, but yah as you stated maybe a bit pricey. Hard to say. Inflation has me unsure what the exact value to me is these days.
Looks cool.

Sokel

Master Contributor
OLED AND multicolor???
Needless to say who's the "poor" vote is.
And it's a pity cause is nice otherwise.
Thanks Amir!

Edit:It's not OLED,happy to proved wrong

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
OLED AND multicolor???
Needless to say who's the "poor" vote is.
And it's a pity cause is nice otherwise.
Thanks Amir!
Probably a bot or an 'eni mini miny moe' type of voter.

respice finem

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL D400EX balanced DAC based on AKM4499EX chip. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $959.99
View attachment 250400
The D400EX is quite attractive looking with the flush controls and the grills on the sides:
View attachment 250401
The latter gives it a high-end look. Alas, I am not a fan of the rotary control. It is very hard to turn, and even harder to push to register a click. Fortunately the standard SMSL remote is included so you don't have to use it. The user interface is easy to navigate (with the remote) and is the same as other newer SMSL DACs.

Note that there is an ES version using ESS DAC chip.

Note: please excuse the mistaken label on the graphs: D400 ES instead of EX. Didn't realize which unit I was testing until I took the review picture. :)

SMSL D400EX Measurements
As usual let's start with our dashboard of 1 kHz tone:
View attachment 250402
I expect superb performance and that is precisely what we get. Playing the silly game of ranking SINAD using decimal point, the D400 EX easily falls in our top 20 best measured DACs:
View attachment 250403

RCA performance is not far behind:
View attachment 250404

Noise performance is excellent as you can imagine:
View attachment 250405

Multitone performance lands in the same bucket:
View attachment 250406

Linearity is perfect:
View attachment 250407

Jitter over USB is perfect but we have a tiny jitter component on toslink:
View attachment 250408

It was strange to see the mid-level IMD hump:
View attachment 250409
Never seen this on non-ESS DACs.

Various filters are offered:
View attachment 250410

Here is their impact on frequency response:
View attachment 250411
Using default filter #1, we get very nice wideband response for distortion+noise:
View attachment 250412

Conclusions
The D400 EX performs at top of the class as expected. Price is up there and for that, you get a nicer looking case. Two minor misses are the rotary control functionality and rise in IMD distortion at mid-levels.

I am going to put the SMSL D400 EX on my recommendation list.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Fine. Sorely missing a HPA at this price point, however.
Trying to be unique is hard... Here, at least it doesn't spoil anything, and the design is IMHO the nicest I've seen so far from China. Remotely resembles minimalistic Braun designs (from the last millennium).
Is the remote fitting the design of the unit, or the usual standard?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

We are getting to the point that with some brands, such as SMSL, Topping, Neumann, Genelec, and a few others, superlative performance is the new normal...

People! Kudos to the brands/companies, that are churning excellence so routinely...We are living interesting times. :)

Peace.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone else scrolling fast through DAC reviews lately already knowing the results? Dunno what point SMSL is trying to make with this high price for no added features over their cheaper models.
Is the case made out of silver?

Edit: I remember that Gustard X18 - that one at least had a analog volume adjustment so you can keep the bit depth.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
Anyone else scrolling fast through DAC reviews lately already knowing the results? Dunno what point SMSL is trying to make with this high price for no added features over their cheaper models.
Is the case made out of silver?

Edit: I remember that Gustard X18 - that one at least had a analog volume adjustment so you can keep the bit depth.
No manufacturer is eager to sell on the cheap, and the market situation is as it is.
At least they didn't spoil the specs while trying to be "outstanding", as many in the so called high end do.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Obviously a powerful DAC will need a heat sink …. In a competitive market they need to keep looking for new cosmetic differentiators, I suppose.
This is part of the new, higher-quality housing design that has been used by Sabaj since the A8. It allows for a case with no visible screws on the sides, front and top. You can remove the top panel without disassembling the device.
It will be cheaper to use one profile for all devices than different ones, and there is one design line. In addition, in some countries additional cooling in summer can not hurt.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No manufacturer is eager to sell on the cheap, and the market situation is as it is.
At least they didn't spoil the specs while trying to be "outstanding", as many in the so called high end do.
My point is, why shouldn't I just get the SMSL SU-9 for half the price?

respice finem

Major Contributor
My point is, why shouldn't I just get the SMSL SU-9 for half the price?
For design? :) I already got the Topping EX5 and the RME ADI2-DAC, so i'll pass anyway, but yes, if I wanted to buy one now, I too would choose the more cost effective offer, having no illusions about hearing any difference anyway, at my age (55).

Last edited:

jam

Another winner from SMSL. Thanks for the review Amir. The golfing panther not being there explains why the poll is tied between the fine and great ratings. People need to be pointed in the right direction Amir. :)

BTW, you also forgot to type the L from SMSL on the main reviews page and on the title of this review page. Then again since you worked at Microsoft, it's probably a Freudian slip from their SMS software (Systems Management Server). I've dabbled a little with SMS a long time ago while managing servers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom