• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400ES DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 58 24.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 153 65.4%

• Total voters

tensor9

Forum Donor
I am simulating the volume control by changing the input level digitally. AP software can't do the test as you envision. Results should be the same though.
Ah, understood. How can we be sure that the AP’s digital attenuation is the same as the DAC’s?

tensor9

Forum Donor
Ah, understood. How can we be sure that the AP’s digital attenuation is the same as the DAC’s?
Seems like you’d have to do a SINAD measurement, reduce the volume, do another SINAD, repeat. Then graph the values manually.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A little off topic but doesn't the miniDSP Flex offer transparent performance along with the ability to incorporate DIRAC, for less money than this DAC? Why would one choose this over the Flex? Most of us would agree that the ability to use a quality room correction software program is of greater value than a few points of SINAD at this level (Flex 114).

D!sco

Not competitive compared to who? They make fully transparent DACs for 100 bucks, the sanscrit, the M100. This is made to compete with Topping D90. Is Topping pricing also not competitive?
Yeah, actually. I think the most confusing part of Topping's release scheme is that the A90 is always the worst value and usually outdated quickly after release. Why anybody would spend full price on a new one when a combo/stack will release for half the price and equal use value blows my mind every. damn. time. Get a DX3 already and be done, unless you have a super specific use case.

dtaylo1066

Price and features are all about what your want, need and are willing to pay. Having been an audio buff since the 1970s, I find it astounding what one can now purchase for less than $1,000.

SMSL and Topping are putting out higher priced models, with slightly better performance, in order to make more money. It's called smart business and capitalism. Selling $100 DACs is not a sustainable business model.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously, a top notch performer, priced at a premium. Reflects the cosmetics and features of the unit. Nothing wrong with that. I think everyone who buys this will know they're paying a premium for the cosmetics--certainly everyone here should. I don't get bent out of shape on something like this because while it's expensive, it's not "sell your firstborn child" expensive. Unlike some other manufacturers who provide Cyclopean multi kilobuck monstrosities that look they're made of vacuum formed aluminum foil, and marketed with extravagent, pseudo scientific claims about the unique capabilities of their FPGA filtering. Guess who!

mctron

Yes believe it or not there are luxury products in every category and DACs are no different. This one just happens to measure well (and also is not quite as expensive as some of the other "boutique" DACs reviewed on this site). If you don't like it, there's a D-6 with your name on it

Grooved

$800 for a DAC with SOTA performance and nice looks is reasonable these days.
Lesser price would possibly mean not as nice cosmetics, no bluetooth, no internal PS and no display or a lesser display. The ESS chip is also a high end one.
All that makes the retail price go up.
BTW the MQA feature also costs real money in licensing fees, as we've seen from identical models with and without MQA.
You may think none of that matters, but it means a higher price.
Right, but when you see that the Topping DX7 Pro+ has better SINAD and headphones output, and cost less... you are paying a lot more here just to get a nicer device with less features (and maybe some people can find the DX7 Pro+ nicer... not me but it's just my personal taste)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have done limited testing of it in the past. When trying to adjust output voltage a few dbs, the results were the same either way.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I would not buy something that includes this, would set off some serious snake oil alarm bells :p
the UltraGrand power conditioner only performs well if plugged into the BS Audio Stellar UG PowerPlant IV.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I ordered an SMSL product from APOS in early Dec. It was sent from China, I found it had a noisy display, sent it back to APOS immediately, still awaiting replacement to be sent.
Ordered a similar product from amazon, thought it was defective (turned out to not be defective), called amazon for a replacement, The replacement was shipped out from Amazon the same day I called them. Needless to say but I'll never buy from APOS again.
Not sure about APOS but Deer Creek adds a substantial premium when their products are sold through Amazon. When questioned about this one reason was because Amazon has a generous return policy, thus forcing Deer Creek to accept the return. If you've ever tried to return anything to Deer Creek you know it's well worth the premium to buy from Amazon.

bboris77

But, how does it sound? LOL....all joking aside, at this price point, it would be nice to see usb electromagnetic isolation built in to eliminate ground loops when using RCA outs.

xaxxon

Do they have local dealers? Or if something goes wrong, do you have to send it to China? I'm willing to take a chance on something at the $1-200 level, but I think that for high-ticket items you need some kind of local service network.
this is my biggest complaint with my failed topping pa5. $80 to ship to china AND you are forced to lie about it's value on customs or they charge you more.

and @TOPPING-Service knows their vendors have this requirement to lie to customs when sending and that their vendors lie to customs when sending it back and doesn't do anything about it.

Last edited:

waveuk

I got one of these from Amazon UK with 10% discount, £720. This was delivered by Amazon (next day) and sold by a local UK company. So far it sounds great - I had a Chord Qutest before that is think currently retails at £1.400

The ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition costs £1.500 here and it is a 3 year old model, like the Chord.

While it would be nice to have room correction, all times I tried it I felt the sound somehow unnatural so ended up disabling it.

I do think £720 is a good value for this performance, functionalities and package. In a couple of month it is probably even cheaper.

Koo

What a waste. 100 dollars get you same audible quality. Still waiting for good DSP options in these high performance Chinese DACs.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
I am simulating the volume control by changing the input level digitally. AP software can't do the test as you envision. Results should be the same though.
I like that plot :)

Just wondering if it’s possible to show lower than 600mV or was there a reason why you stopped there?

xaxxon

Is that rotary dial flush to the case?

I like a real knob, but if I have to just press my finger against the face of it and use "horizontal friction" to turn it, that does sound bad.

Entropy

Excuse me? Quarter of a point in SINAD terms well behind the earing threshold, is that not enough??

If RME put their Adi-2 into DAP size including the superb amp section DSP etc they could sell it north of €2.000 ....bet on it!!!
"That doesn't exist already" :)

waveuk

Is that rotary dial flush to the case?

I like a real knob, but if I have to just press my finger against the face of it and use "horizontal friction" to turn it, that does sound bad.
yes it is completely flushed - you press a bit and then can rotate it as normal dial. This is clearly my least favour part (and no 12v trigger), however I mainly use the control that works very well.

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
All these DACs with impeccable measurements are great, but why are no other manufacturers taking on RME by adding additional features like dynamic loudness, EQ and tone controls?

I’d like a dac that can apply 100k tap FIR filters for room correction, but I’ll probably never get it…

MiniDSP comes close, but still some way short.

Last edited:
Top Bottom