• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400ES DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 58 24.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 153 65.4%

• Total voters

Veri

Master Contributor
I got one of these from Amazon UK with 10% discount, £720. This was delivered by Amazon (next day) and sold by a local UK company. So far it sounds great - I had a Chord Qutest before that is think currently retails at £1.400

I do think £720 is a good value for this performance, functionalities and package. In a couple of month it is probably even cheaper.
Glad someone actually has one already and likes it!

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would be interested to get this one but MQA support is sadly a instant no for me out of principle.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm wondering why the hell some are voting ''poor'' for this unit? I cannot imagine the performance required to get their approval:facepalm:
It's essentially featureless stereo DAC, nothing more, so it actually competes with much cheaper options with the same "feature set". It's 2 channels of conversion for 800 bucks.

When you compare it to something like Motu Ultralite which offers 10 channels of DA conversion, mic inputs, line inputs, headphone amp... for the same money. Does the SMSL still get a pass?

Both will obviously "sound" the same.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be interested to get this one but MQA support is sadly a instant no for me out of principle.

I agree with the sentiment, but it did not stop me from buying Roon.
I just turn it off and use QOBUZ that has real CD and Hi-Res audio.

- Rich

Steamrolly

$800 for a DAC with SOTA performance and nice looks is reasonable these days.
Lesser price would possibly mean not as nice cosmetics, no bluetooth, no internal PS and no display or a lesser display. The ESS chip is also a high end one.
All that makes the retail price go up.
BTW the MQA feature also costs real money in licensing fees, as we've seen from identical models with and without MQA.
You may think none of that matters, but it means a higher price.
I would like to see a SMSL DAC with an ESS 9039Pro chip (or similar) that has no Bluetooth, no display, no remote, no preamp section / volume control, no filters, no MQA. Keep the Internal power supply, balanced XLR output, and USB-B, Coaxial and optical input. Just the excellent performance and connectivity, don't need the extras.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the chances that I will hear any difference at all from the Topping D70s I bought a couple of years ago?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's essentially featureless stereo DAC, nothing more, so it actually competes with much cheaper options with the same "feature set". It's 2 channels of conversion for 800 bucks.

When you compare it to something like Motu Ultralite which offers 10 channels of DA conversion, mic inputs, line inputs, headphone amp... for the same money. Does the SMSL still get a pass?

Both will obviously "sound" the same.
We have gotten way past the point where measurable SOTA improvements mean sonic improvements. Fair to ask if feature/functionality is of heavier weight in a buying decision now.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think they are still at a stage where they are using the free EQ curves baked into the dac chipset.

They will do small mods for their Tabebeui brand speakers that no one outside of China cares about.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I would like to see a SMSL DAC with an ESS 9039Pro chip (or similar) that has no Bluetooth, no display, no remote, no preamp section / volume control, no filters, no MQA. Keep the Internal power supply, balanced XLR output, and USB-B, Coaxial and optical input. Just the excellent performance and connectivity, don't need the extras.
I would like to have a raspberry pi 4 in that thing. :)

bequietjk

Looks have my attention, despite the cost. Still, the price isn't anywhere near the absurd cost of many of those "high-class" boutique pieces of equipment we've seen come through here. Would love to see this in a dark brushed metallic grey finish or even glass/gloss black.

SYJ

I would like to see the review of SMSL SU-9Pro which employs the same ESS9039MSPro.

Thank you.

Sokel

Master Contributor
i think they are still at a stage where they are using the free EQ curves baked into the dac chipset.

They will do small mods for their Tabebeui brand speakers that no one outside of China cares about.
What's with that tilt?

sp.jpg

Gio

Forum Donor
I'm from the same "old school": the audio gear must be "no-frills" or if you prefer "less is more".

Top Bottom