• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400ES and SMSL D400Ex

jaraheel

I just received the SMSL D400EX from SoundImport and this unit also has volume problem. Streaming from Tidal using USB from a Mac and on some tracks very low volume and on others normal. Could not see that it is related to MQA or PCM tracks. When I switch to a RME ADI 2 all tracks has the same volume.
Very strange. I will return this unit for a refound.
I had similar experience with my unit, only that the volume was low on all audio. I too use a Mac desktop and connected it to the unit via the USB input

MadMaxx

My D400EX is connected via USB to my desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro. I stream audio with Amazon Prime and YouTube Music. Haven't noticed any volume differences with these services. My digital music stored on my computer plays louder, but that's been the case with any DAC I've used.

jaraheel

Perhaps some defective unit then, though Mac could be an issue. I will check the replacement unit on windows to see if that settles it

larssa

I also changed the labtop from Mac to HP and the problem remain / is the same , very low volume on some tracks and very high on others.

It is the same problem on with both labtops Mac and HP. Replacing the SMSL with the RMA ADI2 DAC and the problem gone. Everything works perfect.

It looks like something wrong with the SMSL D400EX DAC !

Veri

Master Contributor
D400 ES measured by @WolfX-700

staticV3

Master Contributor
does L7Audiolab look a bit desaturated lately, or is it just me?
Screenshot_20221201-120122_Chrome.png

MadMaxx

Found measurements for the D400EX on that site, too. I'm no expert, but it seems that the comments reflect a somewhat disappointing opinion of the dac. One criticism I agreed with was the knob. It's a bit clumsy to use.

Veri

Master Contributor
Found measurements for the D400EX on that site, too. I'm no expert, but it seems that the comments reflect a somewhat disappointing opinion of the dac. One criticism I agreed with was the knob. It's a bit clumsy to use.

Wolf is saying he doesn't see a real maturity of this AK4499+AK4191 implementation and thinks there's more potential in these chips. Just for example, it took YEARS before we saw the AK4497 performance (overshooting the datasheet even!) as was seen in the Topping D70s. As you can see this D400EX is hardly a few dB better.. :)

jaraheel

Wolf is saying he doesn't see a real maturity of this AK4499+AK4191 implementation and thinks there's more potential in these chips. Just for example, it took YEARS before we saw the AK4497 performance (overshooting the datasheet even!) as was seen in the Topping D70s. As you can see this D400EX is hardly a few dB better.. :)
It begs the question then why get the EX over the ES?

HiFindingnemo

Well, I think the answer is that people like AKM chipsets and what they perceive to be differences in SQ or signature compared to ESS chipsets.

djgodlike

I just received the SMSL D400EX from SoundImport and this unit also has volume problem. Streaming from Tidal using USB from a Mac and on some tracks very low volume and on others normal. Could not see that it is related to MQA or PCM tracks. When I switch to a RME ADI 2 all tracks has the same volume.
Very strange. I will return this unit for a refound.
I also had an volume problem with my new d400ex. (Very low volume) Only when playing USB PCM. This was not the case with BT or USB DSD (dop). After sending 1 email to hifi express.. got a direct reply from hifi express with a firmware update (from 3.11 out of the box) to 3.12. Now the volume problem is solved! :) Nice work!
My first opinion after only 50 hours burn-in.. very nice dac, "much" more detail in the lower end in contrast to my topping d70s. Also an more natural 3D image. Still playing with filters and sound color.. (at the moment I like pcm filter: short sharp, and sound color: 3) Setup: direct d400ex XLR dac out - mogami - nad c298 - siltech new York - Von Schweikert E3 MKII.
In the attachment the original zip with the firmware update to 3.12. (use at your own risk) Don't forget to install the audio driver before the update.

Attachments

• 20221201_180708.jpg
    20221201_180708.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 154
  • SMSLUSBAudioDriver.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 117
  • SMSL D400EX_USB_FW 2221129.zip
    475.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

jaraheel

I also had an volume problem with my new d400ex. (Very low volume) Only when playing USB PCM. This was not the case with BT or USB DSD (dop). After sending 1 email to hifi express.. got a direct reply from hifi express with a firmware update (from 3.11 out of the box) to 3.12. Now the volume problem is solved! :) Nice work!
My first opinion after only 50 hours burn-in.. very nice dac, "much" more detail in the lower end in contrast to my topping d70s. Also an more natural 3D image. Still playing with filters and sound color.. (at the moment I like pcm filter: short sharp, and sound color: 3) Setup: direct d400ex XLR dac out - mogami - nad c298 - siltech new York - Von Schweikert E3 MKII.
In the attachment the original zip with the firmware update to 3.12. (use at your own risk) Don't forget to install the audio driver before the update.
Uh more people having problems with volume level. Seems like we’re in the beta testers (aka suckers) club

Reactions: Lsc

djgodlike

Uh more people having problems with volume level. Seems like we’re in the beta testers (aka suckers) club
I hear you, but as long as i only have to wait a couple of hours for a solution I'm ok with it. But i only received my d400ex just 48hours ago. Can we call this agile software development? ;) To me it's still worth the upgrade from the d70s

Last edited:

jaraheel

I hear you, but as long as i only have to wait a couple of hours for a solution I'm ok with it. But i just received my d400ex just 48hours ago. Can i call this agile software development? ;) To me it's still worth the upgrade from the d70s
As long as the problem gets addressed in a reasonable amount of time, I am with you.

MadMaxx

I didn't have any of the volume problems, but upgraded the firmware, anyway. Smooth and easy process. No idea if it makes any difference.

Amazon and Sweetwater just had the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for 1036 around Black Friday. I had one ordered for 1399 and quickly cancelled that order. I now have that DAC sitting in front of me and no longer concerned with anything else after many months of obsessing.

Top Bottom