• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400ES and SMSL D400Ex

mario_rouge

the new SMSL D400ES ( ES9039MSPRO )
and SMSL D400Ex ( 1*AK4191 2*AK4499EX) are now available.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
But why does the AKM one only support DSD512 and pcm 768khz? Aren't those supposed to support DSD1024 and PCM 1536?

pickyAudiophile

Unfortunately, music industry is not prepared to deliver on content. I doubt any recording studio exists on this planet ready to produce such low noise high rez live recordings to ever let theses devices play out their capabilities.
BTW a premium DAC with that ROHM BD34301EKV chipset again (>D300) I would have preferred.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I see no reason for this high frequency anyway. More is some times not better.

For me it's more about the fact that they couldn't be bothered to implement this new chip to its full potential.

RandomEar

Same problem as with the SU-10: For this amount of money, I expect flawless local after sales service. If there is a problem with a nearly 1000$ device, I will not send it back to China with a fraudulent value declaration to save the seller some customs fees. I want it fixed quickly and without any risk of loosing my money or equipment. For 200 or 300$, I might not care - for 1000$, it's the sellers job to care.

Also, to compete with what the market already has to offer, it would at the very least need a 10 band EQ and some essential DSP stuff. In my opinion, an adjustable high-pass for the main speakers and a sub out with adjustable low-pass would also be mandatory.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Same problem as with the SU-10: For this amount of money, I expect flawless local after sales service. If there is a problem with a nearly 1000$ device, I will not send it back to China with a fraudulent value declaration to save the seller some customs fees. I want it fixed quickly and without any risk of loosing my money or equipment. For 200 or 300$, I might not care - for 1000$, it's the sellers job to care.
It wouldn't even be necessary if they dealt with customs properly.
Of course, no customs or taxes have to be paid for devices that are sent to another country for repair, but the manufacturer or dealer has to initiate it at customs, handle it correctly and legally and send it back within 3 years.
I have to laugh every time I read what kind of nonsense they make.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor

Also, to compete with what the market already has to offer, it would at the very least need a 10 band EQ and some essential DSP stuff. In my opinion, an adjustable high-pass for the main speakers and a sub out with adjustable low-pass would also be mandatory.

Just buy this stuff from local retailers That will be responsible for the warranty. Audiophonics for example.

10 band EQ and DSP? I do that In roon.

Haruko

But why does the AKM one only support DSD512 and pcm 768khz? Aren't those supposed to support DSD1024 and PCM 1536?
Windows supports only PCM 384 natively and Apple 768 natively... Many games have problem with sample rates higher than 192khz as there will be crackles or no sound at all (my observations)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Windows supports only PCM 384 natively and Apple 768 natively... Many games have problem with sample rates higher than 192khz as there will be crackles or no sound at all (my observations)
Who cares about games?
I use roon + a raspberry pi4. I have neither the limitations of windows or Mac to worry about.

Pcm 768khz and DSD512 works just fine with my SMSL D300.

And if akm offers PCM1536 and DSD1024 it would be nice if a DAC for 1000 bucks would support that. These things are not really about audible differences anymore but none the less it's fun to mess around with it :)

Especially since the new AKM chips come with a direct DSD mode and internal upsampling.

Haruko

Who cares about games?
I use roon + a raspberry pi4. I have neither the limitations of windows or Mac to worry about.

Pcm 768khz and DSD512 works just fine with my SMSL D300.

And if akm offers PCM1536 and DSD1024 it would be nice if a DAC for 1000 bucks would support that. These things are not really about audible differences anymore but none the less it's fun to mess around with it :)

Especially since the new AKM chips come with a direct DSD mode and internal upsampling.
I don't know who cares about games, but I know I don't care about roon. As as to why, I gave you the most probable reason why... This is something that only SMSL can give you answer to

Last edited:
Top Bottom