Use pipewire for bitmatched playback without resampling.
Yeah sure, I'm happily using pipewire, but the alsa is the underlying interface to the kernel audio level. (see pipewires faq: does-pipewire-run-on-top-of-a-pulseaudio-or-jack-server and does-pipewire-replace-alsa)
While talking about ubuntu using pipewire, I have some experience to share.
* Ubuntu 22 distribute pre-installed part of pipewire library, but still using pulseaudio as the default audio lib.
* You can manually install full pipewire and make it as default.
* Sadly, the ubuntu packaged pipewire version is at 0.3.48 which has a bug and be fixed on 0.3.49
* But ubuntu not packaged the newer version yet, so can't be upgraded by the default updater.
* You have to MANUALLY add pipewire PPA to your apt repository then do a upgrade again, enjoy. ( I'm at 0.3.60 )