• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400ES and SMSL D400Ex

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I'm gonna lie. Really impressed with yet another deeply inovative dac.
How many of these cookie cutters does smsl make now?

Arnas

Who cares about games?
I use roon + a raspberry pi4. I have neither the limitations of windows or Mac to worry about.

Pcm 768khz and DSD512 works just fine with my SMSL D300.

And if akm offers PCM1536 and DSD1024 it would be nice if a DAC for 1000 bucks would support that. These things are not really about audible differences anymore but none the less it's fun to mess around with it :)

Especially since the new AKM chips come with a direct DSD mode and internal upsampling.
I care and many do, Why dac should be strictly used for music?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I care and many do, Why dac should be strictly used for music?

In that case why not just use 192khz for games and more for music? It's not like the sampling rate is fixed at the maximum.

HiFindingnemo

As RME is neither Topping or S.M.S.L: No.
Mainly because there's no need for it.
I mean.... there's "no need" for any new products or innovation in the world of delta sigma DACs, R2R DACs, Nor SS amps according to the measurements championed in this forum...

Robocop

I mean.... there's "no need" for any new products or innovation in the world
Heard this before related to all products. Unfortunately progress will continue in all areas as someone will find a better way to improve everything. Look at steam trains, offset printing, vinyl for three.

Rover

Is RME going to release a new DAC with an AK chipset?
RME will never be done on top-end DACs, so don't wait for it.They count their money too much.

1f4b5.png

Last edited:

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Both SMSL DAC's have new DAC chips build in, one from AKM and one from ESS. Both are for the next future, the competitors (good to have competitors again)! Hopefully @VintageFlanker or @amirm can test it soon. Because is the first design in iteration for both. Especially how AKM performs with its multi chip design.
Looks a little like AMD versus Intel.:)

Veri

Master Contributor
Windows supports only PCM 384 natively and Apple 768 natively...
Well. You can actually set PCM1536 in Apple MIDI settings of the device. Only 16-bit will work though (have tried this once).
Actually using these rates seems crazy pointless to me...

piaseczek

Measurements:

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Measurements:

AKM now with hump as well?

Top Bottom