• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Review (Balanced DAC)

shadowmdj

Hi! Absolutely the same issue, but on PC, notebook and rasp. 10-15 all fine. Then issue as you described. Did you find solution?
I got it replaced with a new unit by the seller and the new unit has no problem at all.

Dmkbox

Thanks for info. My seller gave me firmware but this not help at all. Will try to adk for replacement.

robertospeed

What's wrong with the D300? I should buy a DAC, but I don't know whether to choose the D300 or the Topping E70 Velvet, can someone give me some advice please?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What's wrong with the D300? I should buy a DAC, but I don't know whether to choose the D300 or the Topping E70 Velvet, can someone give me some advice please?
Nothing partii ulary is wrong with that dac.
Just some software issues that could be ironed out with future updates.

But let me put it this way. Go with Topping E70, it looks better (d300 has really cheap thin metal external case) and it performs better.

robertospeed

Nothing partii ulary is wrong with that dac.
Just some software issues that could be ironed out with future updates.

But let me put it this way. Go with Topping E70, it looks better (d300 has really cheap thin metal external case) and it performs better.
which one works best? the e70 velvet topping? have you tried it?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
which one works best? the e70 velvet topping? have you tried it?
I did not have e70 velvet. My friend has e70 and once I had smsl d300.

I prefer build quality of topping more and it seems to not has any problems with clicks and pops when switching from playing DSD/pcm.

Soundwise I don't expect to hear any difference between both.

robertospeed

I did not have e70 velvet. My friend has e70 and once I had smsl d300.

I prefer build quality of topping more and it seems to not has any problems with clicks and pops when switching from playing DSD/pcm.

Soundwise I don't expect to hear any difference between both.
So the D300 has click and pop issues?

Leva

So the D300 has click and pop issues?
My D300 has click/pop issues on any type of playback. Sometimes it absent and sometimes it pretty noticeable. And I can't go into update mode to change software.

robertospeed

My D300 has click/pop issues on any type of playback. Sometimes it absent and sometimes it pretty noticeable. And I can't go into update mode to change software.
ok thanks, I have a D10s topping and it has no click and pop problems, honestly I also have an E70 Velvet and there are no problems, I just don't hear any difference in sound between D10s and E70 Velvet

Leva

Anybody who updated D300, please tell me what i am doing wrong? It is not going to update mode anyway. Repeated it 50 times...

So nobody can help with this? How to enter update mode? What is the secret?! Thanks

garyV

I've had the opposite experience with the D300, I started with the DO100 that had issues. Then went through a SU-9 and SU-9n, both had popping type sounds when changing tracks or inputs. The SU-9 would give a loud thump when using the mute button too. The D300 is quiet and works well, has Firmware v1.0. Used with fixed volume and variable(Preamp) with no problems.

shadowmdj

I've had the opposite experience with the D300, I started with the DO100 that had issues. Then went through a SU-9 and SU-9n, both had popping type sounds when changing tracks or inputs. The SU-9 would give a loud thump when using the mute button too. The D300 is quiet and works well, has Firmware v1.0. Used with fixed volume and variable(Preamp) with no problems.
Can you please do a small review about su 9n compared to d300? Which is better in terms of dynamics, bass and sound quality?

garyV

Didn't have the 9n for very long but to me they were pretty equal. I think the D300 voicing seems more natural. I've had the D300 for a few months now and works great..

pickyAudiophile

So nobody can help with this? How to enter update mode? What is the secret?! Thanks
If you follow the instructions from post #216 it should work (just choose firmware V1.0 file instead for upload onto device)

pickyAudiophile

-edited-
The reason might be that it won't enter update mode without the update tool properly prepared on your PC. Your YT clip looks like you're trying to enter update mode manually just by pressing-holding FN for 5 sec while powering it on. That's good....but that's not enough! You need that tool to take control over USB connection by first second. It's crucial to follow Toko's instructions from post #216 step-by-step.

Leva

-edited-
The reason might be that it won't enter update mode without the update tool properly prepared on your PC. Your YT clip looks like you're trying to enter update mode manually just by pressing-holding FN for 5 sec while powering it on. That's good....but that's not enough! You need that tool to take control over USB connection by first second. It's crucial to follow Toko's instructions from post #216 step-by-step.
Thanks, but I did exatly as Toku described, but do not filmed all steps in video. Video is just to demonstrate how i am holding buttons. Because only holding these buttons on start looks tricky for me. Opening software and loading firmware and connecting with usb cable going exatly as described. The only problem that it still starting normally. I tried with usb and without and on different laptops. Maybe they just switch off ability to update software in latest D300.

Also here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...l-d300-review-balanced-dac.28919/post-1390549 @Happyhammer wrote that he attached USB cable after D300 start. So I tried this way too but the same result it always start in normal mode as on my video

@SMSL-Mandy could you please advise? ShnezenAdio wrote me to hold Menu button instead of FN but it is also not helped.

Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom