• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Review (Balanced DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi, from my experience, the D300 can only play DSD converted to PCM, it can't play native DSD
I tried with the Audirvana and Colibri on my Mac Mini, both can't play DSD on DoP mode. If I switch to DoP on both app, there's only like crackling sound from the speakers.
Not sure if I misunderstand of mis-setup anything, but I can only play on DSP converted to PCM on both apps on Mac.
I haven't heard of such problems on Windows.
However, the D300 has limitations compared to other DACs. If you do not understand the specifications, you will get lost in how to use it.
For example, DSD can only be played in Vol FIX mode.

I'm not a Mac user, so I don't know the details.
In order to play DSD with the D300's USB input, you have to output it from your Mac in Native mode. But I read somewhere that DSD on Mac is played in DoP.
The D300 supports DoP only with OPT/COAX. USB input does not support DoP.
Looking at your settings now, I think you are probably outputting with DoP from Mac. Since the D300 cannot input DoP signals with a USB connection, I think that there is only silence or some kind of noise.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
However, the D300 has limitations compared to other DACs. If you do not understand the specifications, you will get lost in how to use it.

In order to play DSD with the D300's USB input, you have to output it from your Mac in Native mode. But I read somewhere that DSD on Mac is played in DoP.
Looking at your settings now, I think you are probably outputting with DoP from Mac. Since the D300 cannot input DoP signals with a USB connection, I think that there is only silence or some kind of noise.
Mac can't output DSD over USB. That's why I'm using a raspberry pi 4 (ALSA output with roopiee)

Here is mine. Accepting DSD512.
Screenshot_2022-10-03-17-22-21-030_com.roon.mobile.jpg

consocmap

I think this and Snoopy's response above explain why I can't play DSD native on Mac. Not a big problem though. Thanks

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Hi, from my experience, the D300 can only play DSD converted to PCM, it can't play native DSD
I tried with the Audirvana and Colibri on my Mac Mini, both can't play DSD on DoP mode. If I switch to DoP on both app, there's only like crackling sound from the speakers.
Not sure if I misunderstand of mis-setup anything, but I can only play on DSP converted to PCM on both apps on Mac.
We have a new firmware to fix this problem, and can be upgared the firmware from the official web. smsl-audio.com
Support the DOP now.
Thanks

subcode

We have a new firmware to fix this problem, and can be upgared the firmware from the official web. smsl-audio.com
Support the DOP now.
Thanks
I cannot find any firmware in your website...Did this firmware fix the first missing1 second every time i change a song? (tested on moode/volumio on raspberry pi and ifi zen stream)

Toku

Major Contributor
Support the DOP now.
Thanks
Unfortunately, such firmware for D300 is not available on SMSL's HP.

Toku

Major Contributor
Did this firmware fix the first missing1 second every time i change a song?
Does SMSL still use that method to eliminate pop noise when switching songs?
I noticed the problem when the SU-8 was released. In the end, I gave up using the SU-8 because I couldn't stand the beginning of the song disappearing.

subcode

Does SMSL still use that method to eliminate pop noise when switching songs?
I noticed the problem when the SU-8 was released. In the end, I gave up using the SU-8 because I couldn't stand the beginning of the song disappearing.
Yes, it is VERY annoying...

Toku

Major Contributor
About DoP playback of D300 The English description in the HP materials and manuals describes DoP64 in S/PDIF (COAX/OPT), but this is a mistake.
The D300 does not actually support DoP. There is no mention of DoP in the Chinese description of the manual.
So it's only natural that it can't be played in DoP.
I think maybe DoP will be added to S/PDIF (COAX/OPT) from @SMSL-Mandy's report.

Attachments

• D300-EN_2.jpg
    D300-EN_2.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 94
  • D300-CH_2.jpg
    D300-CH_2.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 102

HappyMetalGuy

Hi I had the D300 working from windows 11 with foobar2000 asio driver installed. It played even oversampling MP3 to DSD so it must be a configuration issue it always gave the current ratio dsd64, dsd128 and 256 I don't have DSD512 to test.

Toku

Major Contributor
The D300 can only play DSD through the USB input in Vol FIX mode. Also, since it does not support DoP, it cannot be played on MAC. DSD is Windows Native mode only.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

Support Dop now, please try.
The firmware of the MCU is to solve the problem of POP sound when playing DSD files, USB firmware is to open DOP.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor

The firmware of the MCU is to solve the problem of POP sound when playing DSD files, USB firmware is to open DOP.
Cool :) good job SMSL.

Toku

Major Contributor
The firmware that was uploaded to HP has already been erased.
Something went wrong?
Or was it a momentary disclosure that SMSL is good at and deleted it immediately?

subcode

The firmware no longer exists...

Toku

Major Contributor
Has anyone installed this new firmware for the D300?

Attachments

• SMSLD300MCUFW221012.zip
    721.2 KB · Views: 115
  • SMSLD300USBFW221012.zip
    392.4 KB · Views: 116

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Has anyone installed this new firmware for the D300?
I never had clicks or pops and DSD works just fine. What is the firmware supposed to change exactly?

And how would I even install it?

subcode

I never had clicks or pops and DSD works just fine. What is the firmware supposed to change exactly?

And how would I even install it?
according to mandy, supports dop properly now... but the firmware is no longer available... it was online for 1 day (i don't know why)

Top Bottom