• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Review (Balanced DAC)

Veri

Master Contributor
Clearly audible through someone else's YouTube (heavily compressed) video... Not
I mean, through the microphone ADC, then youtube compression, then played through my laptop speakers I can clearly hear a little less "sizzle" and a bit more "analogue" sound!! o_O:facepalm:

I exaggerate, sure, but honestly there's so much in the chain you can't possibly attribute any changes you believe you hear to the DAC, not with certainty. That's not science that's just a lazy armchair experiment, I can't understand how people would purchase anything based on such tests..

Kitarist

Even if there are all other factors there is still a difference that you can hear ;) There are also another videos that you can hear the same difference.

Again if you cant hear the difference good for you then just buy the cheapest DAC with good measurements and you are good to go.

RandomEar

Even if there are all other factors there is still a difference that you can hear ;) There are also another videos that you can hear the same difference.
No, you can't. That's the point. You're hearing random sounds which went through a very long chain of devices: DAC to be compared-> Youtubers' amp -> Youtubers' speakers in Youtubers' room -> Youtubers' microphone -> Youtubers' ADC -> Capture software -> Hopefully uncompressed audio file -> Youtube upload (audio compression) -> Your DAC -> Your amp -> Your speakers in Your room. That's ten (!) steps in between you and the DAC. Plus, you're listening to it sighted, not blind and you seem to be expecting to hear a difference. Apart from all of the points in this long chain where differences can occur unintentionally, there's the additional possibility that the person capturing the examples intentionally altered the samples to make them sound different.

I'm not saying there's 100% no difference between these DACs. I absolutely believe that they sound identical, but that's not the point: You 100% absolutely and without a sliver of doubt cannot tell if these DACs sound different based on a comparison through Youtube videos. You either compare them both in person, in the same room on the same system using a momentary switch to change the DAC, or your don't. Everything else is fantasy, not a comparison.

Veri

Master Contributor
Apart from all of the points in this long chain where differences can occur unintentionally, there's the additional possibility that the person capturing the examples intentionally altered the samples to make them sound different.
Or played with loudness in some parts. Indeed, all very good points you make :)

Toku

Major Contributor

Again if you cant hear the difference good for you then just buy the cheapest DAC with good measurements and you are good to go.
This YouTuber receives many products free of charge from SMSL, Sabaj and others. Consider that too. Also, he doesn't seem to be familiar with electronic circuits, so I don't refer to them.

Progronom

To SMSL-Mandy

What operational amplifiers are installed? The markings are not clear on the photographs.

Attachments

• d300.jpeg
    d300.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 251

h46e55x

I'm not saying there's 100% no difference between these DACs. I absolutely believe that they sound identical

I have an SMSL D300 and a Topping D90 (I know not a D30), both DACs measure superbly, but they do not sound alike. I connected them to the same amplifier, with the same brand and length interconnects. Both DACs where fed via USB by matching Raspberry Pi streamers running Ropieee. The content was provided via Roon and streamed to both devices simultaneously. The DACs where volume matched to .1 db; they were less than .5 db out of the box. In this configuration it was easy to switch sources quickly with very little interruption in sound and no change in the songs position and no pausing.

Now that is out of the way...

None of this is necessary as they sound very different. So different that I have no doubt even a bad YouTube recording would be enough to hear that they are different.

Try it. Go buy 2k in gear and give it a try. :)

RandomEar

I have an SMSL D300 and a Topping D90 (I know not a D30), both DACs measure superbly, but they do not sound alike. I connected them to the same amplifier, with the same brand and length interconnects. Both DACs where fed via USB by matching Raspberry Pi streamers running Ropieee. The content was provided via Roon and streamed to both devices simultaneously. The DACs where volume matched to .1 db; they were less than .5 db out of the box. In this configuration it was easy to switch sources quickly with very little interruption in sound and no change in the songs position and no pausing.

None of this is necessary as they sound very different. So different that I have no doubt even a bad YouTube recording would be enough to hear that they are different.

Not sure if this is sarcasm. In the event it isn't: There's ample reading material on this forum on how to conduct a good double blind listening test and on why it is necessary for such a comparison.

TjindarSingh

There is HPC mode. I will try it deeply to see how it change the sound. I'm sure it will be difficult it possible.
There is HPC mode. I will try it deeply to see how it change the sound. I'm sure it will be difficult it possible.
what does hpc mode supposed to do?
What does hpc mode supposed to do?

Kitarist

Which differences did you notice? Which one do you prefer? :)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

At least 3 red flags on subjective audiophile foolery without any real data/evidence to backup those claims...

Hard pass, I'm tired of yet another person who thinks he's above sighted bias and thinks he is that special snowflake that claims he can do something while obviously lacking any real scientific data.

Katji

Major Contributor
it just goes on and on. Science denial..psychology denial. ...So different..obvious. Like something wrong with you.

HappyMetalGuy

I really like to ear your opinion on SMSL D300 as I'm interested in buying one of these three 1. SMSL D300 2.SMSL M500 MKII and 3.Topping DX5 to pair with my NAD C 316BEE v2 and Q Acoutics 3030i. Should I just go for the cheaper of them or the even cheaper Topping e50.
Thank you

HappyMetalGuy

Ok I have now the 3 DAC's with me SMSL D300, SMSL M500 MKII and Topping DX5 (did the firmware update with no problem) starting from the construction of the devices the Topping is definitely the best from the terminals to the enclosure there's no comparation.
I like the display of SMSL D300 since I use (all DAC's) as DAC only, I don't need to see the volume. The menu and display's on SMSL's are more user friendly and in M500 MKII it's nice to have the sound color modes to play a little, you'll will notice changes from the different 9 options also the remotes on SMSL are more intuitive overall their nicer.
From the three D300 as less options to play around. From "my" user experience the M500 was the best followed by Topping and last D300. It was I little hard to get my DSD files working on foobar but all three of them worked in the end. As for Bluetooth again the Topping was the best experience connected with LDAC (best connection).
As for sound with standard modes (no color modes and sound modes) they sound similar, same differences that I think to hear are subjective no blind test. So I'm almost sure I'll keep the Topping DX5.
The construction denotes care as does the firmware releases to address problems with the unit.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
As cool as this is with a ROHM DAC, it is hard to recommend considering that SMSLs own SU-9n is the same price and performs better.
On ebay the SU-9n actually has a few open box offerings for less money than the D300...

Snoopy

Major Contributor
As cool as this is with a ROHM DAC, it is hard to recommend considering that SMSLs own SU-9n is the same price and performs better.
On ebay the SU-9n actually has a few open box offerings for less money than the D300...
The difference is probably inaudible even if another Smsl DAC performs better.
I got the D300 because of the ROHM chip.. competition is always good and I thought it's nice to have something that is not in every DAC.

HappyMetalGuy

I'm going to give a subjective opinion about the D300, to my ears it sounds different from M500 MKII and Topping DX5 (that i also have for evaluation) the sound is softer like a very thin veil is in front of the speakers (I don´t know if this is what audiophiles call warm sound) but I prefer M500 MKII or Topping DX5. In the right (harsh) system I think D300 could be the missing link. When I want "warm" sound I listen to vinyl and love it.

I'm torn between the su9n and d300, I'm going towards the d300 just because supposedly i can set the function button to change between rca and xlr output instead of wearing out the mute relay on my amp. My current main dac is an su8 I'll definitely compare them but i doubt I'll hear any major differences between them, it's really cool they're trying alternative dac chips regardless.

HappyMetalGuy

I'm torn between the su9n and d300, I'm going towards the d300 just because supposedly i can set the function button to change between rca and xlr output instead of wearing out the mute relay on my amp. My current main dac is an su8 I'll definitely compare them but i doubt I'll hear any major differences between them, it's really cool they're trying alternative dac chips regardless.
If somehow you could listen to both that would be great. I've had smsl su-9 (not n) and topping DX5 subjective to me they sound the same neutral. On smsl su-9 you have sound colors so you can play a little, so it's more versatile on DX5 you have valve sound and transistor sound and they make a difference. I also had D300 but in my system (nad 316 bee v2 and q-Acoustics 3030i) I didn't like as much as the DX5.

Top Bottom