• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Review (Balanced DAC)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe consider including it in pictures in the future? [RE: "no remote" complaint]
"Maybe" you would wish it to be personally delivered to you in a silver platter?????;)
Or "maybe" you should have read the posted-results a bit more carefully.
Or "maybe" you could have searched the details, elsewhere, yourself.

Katji

Major Contributor
:)

1639330692999.png

:p The first result was spot on. ..............................I just realised, I've probably loaded google more than any other page. 26 years! - or maybe 25. We thought they were heroes. ...well, they were.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The first result was spot on.
I wanted to make a reference to a "silver spoon" but realized neither the unit, or the r/c would fit on a spoon.
btw >> You have to learn to wean yourself off of google searches.:rolleyes: You may wish to try WordWeb (for word definitions) that started life as a Windows FREEware.

Katji

Major Contributor
no,no! You were right. "Born with a silver spoon in his mouth" means born into privilege. "On a silver platter" ...google it. :D it doesn't have to fit, it's figurative.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how much less expensive a version of this fine hardware would be, if:
*The USB-C (PD) was implemented for the power source (Or even a USB @only 5V@2Amps)
*Pitch out the LCD display.
I am guessing under $300USD

TK750

does the screen have differrent color options in menu?
No, that is a very uncommon feature for any dac to have tbh (I'm not saying there aren't any, just very few). However you can adjust the brightness and also an amount of time in seconds for the screen to turn off after if the controls are idle.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A remote control is provided which lets you adjust various options and volume control.
I was very clear in the review that a remote came with it. The remote doesn't stand up by itself so hard to take a picture of.

sdo_riga

The IC ROHM BD34301EKV looks pricy. Mouser lists $80.50 in the 1000 quantity.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Interesting to see another DAC. Looking at their page, note that it was developed especially with classical music in mind :), so be cautios throwing your extreme metal on it ;)

ROHM "MUS-IC" web

"ROHM's first, most advanced MUS-ICTM series DAC chip enables expressive playback of classical music" [powerpoint]"

"How a High-Resolution D/A Converter Can Help Capture the Sound Quality of a Symphony Orchestra" [white paper]
More info about the BD34301EKV.
From the website:

The BD34301EKV DAC chip, developed as part of ROHM’s high-grade MUS-ICT™ series representing the pinnacle of audio ICs, emphasizes ‘spatial reverberation’, ‘quietness’, and ‘dynamic range’ – qualities important for reproducing classical music. Original sound quality design technology makes it possible to successfully reproduce the target sound quality by incorporating a circuit in the signal processing block to check for audio quality. At the same time, class-leading low noise and distortion (130dB SN ratio, -115dB THD+N) provide the high performance demanded by high fidelity audio equipment. At last, the customizable digital filter – a key function of the digital signal processing circuit – supports the creation of the ideal sound sought by audio equipment manufacturers.

eb7989a6-3c3b-51aa-c360-9f81c442848e

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
The IC ROHM BD34301EKV looks pricy. Mouser lists $80.50 in the 1000 quantity.
...while the ES9018S is a -120dB THD+N DAC chip that costs less than half the price.

However, it's good to see another competitor on the market, although I am expecting from ROHM a new DAC chip with a better price/performance ratio.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I wonder why the D300 exists. It's the same price as the SU-9n, which, at least objectively speaking, seems to be significantly better.
Indeed, 121dB of SINAD @4V RMS and even 123dB of SINAD @5V RMS, quite impressive!

Perhaps the newer D300 might have a better menu, maybe the additional front panel switches/buttons eases the access through the menus. However, D300 looks a bit different (better I'd say), so I'm sure there is enough market for this audio device; at least it's a good measuring DAC.

alpha_logic

Good DAC, I have two. My only complaints are the cheap case - the SU-9 in comparison has a much nicer case - also, the flimsy input selector wheel; it's not exactly bad quality, but pressing it firmly will cause it to rub against the case, producing a distinct scratching noise. This DAC in the generic case that SU-9(n) uses would have been much nicer.
Other than those minor complaints, it's perfect. I'd really like to see a high-end version of a DAC from SMSL or Topping using this Rohm chip

Wuzel

...while the ES9018S is a -120dB THD+N DAC chip that costs less than half the price.

However, it's good to see another competitor on the market, although I am expecting from ROHM a new DAC chip with a better price/performance ratio.

I don't think they put out a cheaper Chip.
They go straight in the 'voodoo hodoo' high-end esoteric market. When i saw the marketing paper in the first thread about the chip here ( https://fscdn.rohm.com/en/products/databook/white_paper/ic/audio-video/music-ic_bd34301ekv_wp-e.pdf ) i go straight to the exit door :)

Next Chip is something with 'argon crystal power', i bet ;)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Technically the ESS9038Pro outperform the Rhom Dac.

The ESS is a Multi Dac Arch (8Dacs in it) with endgame current driven output stage. (runs hot here, that's the reason for the temperature drift of this chip).

The Rohm is a PCM1792A style implementation with modified current driven output stage - not bad, but highly overpriced in my opinion.
Competitor is more the ESS9028/26Pro.
Yeah, it's clearly a bit oldschool if solid. Looking at the harmonic structure with its dominant 4th harmonic, I assume the output stage produces dominant even order (a bit unusual) and they have some sort of H2 cancellation going on.

BTW, stopband attenuation is extremely high. From the datasheet:
BD34301EKV filter sharp.png

Why one would need -200 dB of filter ultimate is unclear to me, but hey, I'll take it. In-band filter ripple is not specified, unfortunately.

Veri

Master Contributor
Yeah, it's clearly a bit oldschool if solid. Looking at the harmonic structure with its dominant 4th harmonic, I assume the output stage produces dominant even order (a bit unusual) and they have some sort of H2 cancellation going on.

BTW, stopband attenuation is extremely high. From the datasheet:
View attachment 172284
Why one would need -200 dB of filter ultimate is unclear to me, but hey, I'll take it. In-band filter ripple is not specified, unfortunately.
Thanks for clarifying that! It really does remind of the TI PCM1792 like @Wuzel noted which had similar design choices from the looks of it, and similar high default attenuation (but not nearly as high as this DAC!). It does seem overkill though, especially considering the "noise shaping" amir showed which could have been removed/prevented in the output? I don't know, not a DAC engineer :D

alpha_logic

Thanks for the input! Question - how do you produce dominant even order harmonics in the output stage - intentionally or not - and not mess up the measurements?

elvisizer

only thing it's missing for me is high voltage output. I wish more companies besides Benchmark would give high output options on their consumer devices!

Top Bottom