• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Review (Balanced DAC)

Kw6

I made these two demo clips at #241 and #242 of this thread. I was able to solve the pop issues by installing firmware rev. 1.0 from #259 - at the expense of split seconds of muting here and there (PCM data, preamp mode, e/g changing sample rate or pausing and playing once again).
You may expect delivery with later (further broken) firmware installed by default. Luckily we now have the tools to do some back-and-forth rolling.
Still there is no firmware available which manages to fix these issues altogether (PCM, DSD, preamp, fixed). Which is not satisfactory at all.
@v1adpetrov2 and @Happyhammer made some truely helpful contributions.
Ok thanks! I may get it tomorrow! Shipment was delayed due to weather. I ordered from Amazon seller Aoshida Audio! How do I check for firmware version?

pickyAudiophile

Ok thanks! I may get it tomorrow! Shipment was delayed due to weather. I ordered from Amazon seller Aoshida Audio! How do I check for firmware version?
AFAIK reading out firmware version via USB in terminal mode requires advanced skills and therefore (seems like) for aficionados only. I might be wrong. It's not indicated on D300's display.

Kw6

Ok I will see if any issues first. I will use with Node streamer going optical in with my own preamp. I usually only stream Spotify or Tidal. I don't do much DSD. Anything to look for? Tracking says pkg out for delivery today!☺️

Kw6

Ok, I have it set up from Cambridge 851N streamer going optical out into D300. Did basic settings like slow filter, fixed volume and RCA out. I will listen tomorrow.

Kw6

Update:

From first note sounds seems softer but after 5 hrs sound similar to my other dacs. But regardless this is an excellent sounding DAC and if you take into account the price it's a no brainer.

Happyhammer

I would think you would have to go through the upgrade steps on the PC and it should tell you the current version before you decide if you wish to upgrade/ downgrade

Kw6

I would think you would have to go through the upgrade steps on the PC and it should tell you the current version before you decide if you wish to upgrade/ downgrade
I have over 20 hrs on it now and like the sound. Right now I am only PCM through the optical input. Knock on wood no pops. I will try XLR out to my preamp once I get cables from Amazon.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I have over 20 hrs on it now and like the sound. Right now I am only PCM through the optical input. Knock on wood no pops. I will try XLR out to my preamp once I get cables from Amazon.

I really like it with DSD512 upsampling. That way it avoids all the internal oversampling stuff the DAC might do. Just set it to fixed mode.

Kw6

I really like it with DSD512 upsampling. That way it avoids all the internal oversampling stuff the DAC might do. Just set it to fixed mode.
Thanks Snoopy! Can you list the equipment needed to stream DSD if you have time? I'm new to streaming using only Spotify and Tidal.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thanks Snoopy! Can you list the equipment needed to stream DSD if you have time? I'm new to streaming using only Spotify and Tidal.

I'm using a MacBook + roon software with qobuz, tidal and my local files.

Kw6

Thanks again Snoopy! This what I figured. Down the road I may get a mac mini!☺️

Happyhammer

You will only be able to play/stream locally stored DSD files. Qobuz is perhaps the best quality streaming service and no need for an expensive MQA device. mQA is of no benefit.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
You will only be able to play/stream locally stored DSD files. Qobuz is perhaps the best quality streaming service and no need for an expensive MQA device. mQA is of no benefits

You could upsample qobuz and mqa hifi to DSD512. Still avoids all internal oversampling the D300 might be doing.

Leva

Guys, could anybody who have D300 try to connect it with LG tv via optical cable please? Will it work normally? I recently bought Topping e50 and it impossible to listen audio from tv because off dropouts every second. I found that it can be fixed with some DPLL setting in e70 and smsl dacs. Does D300 have this setting? Thanks

TjindarSingh

Och
Guys, could anybody who have D300 try to connect it with LG tv via optical cable please? Will it work normally? I recently bought Topping e50 and it impossible to listen audio from tv because off dropouts every second. I found that it can be fixed with some DPLL setting in e70 and smsl dacs. Does D300 have this setting? Thanks
No dpll settings in the d300 but I've never had any problem with it with either the Panasonic or LG TV.

The sabaj a20d first edition that looks like a brick has dpll settings and I had to you it to don't have dropout.

v1adpetrov2

Guys, could anybody who have D300 try to connect it with LG tv via optical cable please? Will it work normally?
My TV LG 42LA790V ( CHASSIS : LD34D ) is connected to the D300 with an optical cable - no sound problems. :)

Leva

Hi. Just tried my new D300. Sound is really great! And I don't have a headache after 1 hours of medium volume listening as with E50 and it's analytical sound. I am just enjoying music. E50 was good with Emotiva A-150 but with Hypex Ncore it is too much details and it is too sharp that I can't listen it longer that 30 mins.

The only thing is some quiet pops on track play/pause or skip to the next. So want to try to install 1.0 version software as currently I use preamp mode of D300. But i can't get into update mode. Every time I am holding FN button and press power button on back or on the front unit is loaded in usual mode and display is lighting up. I tried different variations with USB or without but still normal mode. Could anybody show how to get into update mode and than how to quit it after update. Thanks

Last edited:

Kw6

I love the D300 too but haven't done any updates so far. I will follow this thread to see what others say! Good luck!☺️

Leva

Anybody who updated D300, please tell me what i am doing wrong? It is not going to update mode anyway. Repeated it 50 times...

Dmkbox

I did reset my D300 and also reinstalled the moode in RPI. Things didn't work out.
Can it be an issue with the DAC itself?

Does anyone have a similar issue with your D300?
Hi! Absolutely the same issue, but on PC, notebook and rasp. 10-15 all fine. Then issue as you described. Did you find solution?

Top Bottom