• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Dac

HappyMetalGuy

I've had the SMSL d300 for about 2 week now and I am happy with it. I haven't noticed any "burn in" FYI.

I upgraded to this unit as I need balanced outputs. I only use it with powered speakers with room mode EQ correction via REW.

I got this DAC for the ROHM chipset as I wanted a different flavor of sound than my ESS Sabre equipped Topping DX3+.

I would agree with most of the feedback online that this DAC is softer and more laid back than my Topping DX3+. Some people may call this "musical" or "warm" but others may think it is slightly less resolving than other DACs. YMMV.

Where I do think the SMSL d300 excels is the width of the soundstage; I am quite impressed with this aspect. My Topping DX3+ created a good soundstage between 10 and 2 O'clock, but with D300 is wider. Soundstage depth is roughly the same.

Cheers
Maybe suggestion but that was exactly my feeling about the D300.

Top Bottom